Can you make it to the market on a bike?

On Aug 3, 10:52 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> > Your frequent defense of bad practices astounds me even more than your
> > constant rudeness and your intellectual dishonesty.

> So why do you encourage him?

In general, when I respond to certain trolls, I'm not hoping to change
the troll. I'm writing for others in the audience. In this case, the
"others" are those who may believe his implications that riding on a
sidewalk is just fine.

That sort of thinking causes problems for both the novice cyclists who
try it, and for the rest of us, when public officials adopt Zaumen's
views and build sub-standard facilities like sidewalk bike paths.

- Frank Krygowski

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> On Aug 3, 10:52 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:
>>
>> > Your frequent defense of bad practices astounds me even more than your
>> > constant rudeness and your intellectual dishonesty.

>> So why do you encourage him?

> In general, when I respond to certain trolls, I'm not hoping to change
> the troll. I'm writing for others in the audience. In this case, the
> "others" are those who may believe his implications that riding on a
> sidewalk is just fine.
>
> That sort of thinking causes problems for both the novice cyclists who
> try it, and for the rest of us, when public officials adopt Zaumen's
> views and build sub-standard facilities like sidewalk bike paths.

But the innocent bystanders already know what nemauZ
is all about. People in general aren't stupid. I'm
sure they know how non-seriously to take him. He's
certainly no Pied Piper whom throngs would follow,
even to their collective demise. Zaumen is no threat.
He's just a weirdo who likes to exclaim (with much
projectile spittle): "liar!" just for the Tourettes
Syndrome heck of it. Everybody can see that for themselves.
You don't need to provide the public service of revealing him.
He already reveals himself.

r.b.s people don't have anything worth saying about
cycling anyways.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Aug 4, 3:21 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>

> > On Aug 3, 10:52 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> >> So why do you encourage him?

> > In general, when I respond to certain trolls, I'm not hoping to change
> > the troll. I'm writing for others in the audience. In this case, the
> > "others" are those who may believe his implications that riding on a
> > sidewalk is just fine.

> > That sort of thinking causes problems for both the novice cyclists who
> > try it, and for the rest of us, when public officials adopt Zaumen's
> > views and build sub-standard facilities like sidewalk bike paths.

> But the innocent bystanders already know what nemauZ
> is all about. People in general aren't stupid. I'm
> sure they know how non-seriously to take him. He's
> certainly no Pied Piper whom throngs would follow,
> even to their collective demise. Zaumen is no threat.
> He's just a weirdo who likes to exclaim (with much
> projectile spittle): "liar!" just for the Tourettes
> Syndrome heck of it. Everybody can see that for themselves.
> You don't need to provide the public service of revealing him.
> He already reveals himself.

I agree that he rarely gets anyone agreeing with him, so perhaps
you're right. But I do wonder about novice lurkers. And I think
there's educational value in, for example, specifically listing the
problems with sidewalk cycling when I disagree with Zaumen.

However, I admit to taking perverse pleasure in calling a Zaumen a
Zaumen, so to speak. I should try to reform. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Bill Z. wrote:

> Look, I really don't have the time to deal with some moron who can't
> understand the English language, nor with some character who
> misunderstands on purpose.

Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not
even understand my own first language.

> The term "normal speed of traffic" appears in the California Vehicle
> Code. It means precisely what it says (and the term "traffic" refers
> to everything moving on the road - cars, bicycles, horses,
> what-have-you). As I told you repeatedly, "normal" modifies "speed", not "traffic". Can you get that through your thick scull?

Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are
deemed to be slower, normal then defines normal traffic,
and abnormal traffic.

btw I don't own any boats.

[email protected] writes:

> On Aug 4, 2:26 am, [email protected] (Bill Z.) wrote:
> > [email protected] writes:
> > >

> > > Let's look at the conclusion of the paper:

> > > "Bicyclists on a sidewalk or bicycle path incur
> > > greater risk than those on the roadway (on average
> > > 1.8 times as great), most likely because of
> > > blind conflicts at intersections. Wrong-way
> > > sidewalk bicyclists are at even greater risk, and
> > > sidewalk bicycling appears to increase the incidence
> > > of wrong-way travel."

> > Krygowski, you are an idiot - that factor of 1.8 includes cyclists
> > riding in both directions and the ones going in the opposite direction
> > as traffic have an elevated risk of significantly above 1.8. Furthermore,
> > the factor of 1.8 understates the risk - it is actually over a factor
> > of 2. The paper clearly states that wrong-way riding is far more
> > prevalent on sidewalks than on the adjacent roadway, and that is where
> > people are getting into trouble.

> As the paper says, "Table 5 demonstrates that sidewalks or paths
> adjacent to a roadway are ... much less safe." Yes, wrong-way riding
> is more likely on sidewalks. But that's not the only hazard. You
> seem to be pretending that other sidewalk-cycling hazards are
> negligible. They are not, and your misinformation endangers people
> who don't know better - people like "Donquijote," for example.

More lies and dissembling from Krygowski. What the paper actually
says is, "Table 5 demonstrates that sidewalks or paths adjacent to a
roadway are usually not, as non-cyclists expect, safer than the road,
but much less safe," but that is completely consistent with what I
posted because the risk factor is mostly due to riding against the
flow of traffic, which is more prevalent on sidewalks and paths than
on roadways. So, the problem is not the sidewalks per se but how
bicyclists use them, and there is no good way of preventing wrong way
riding on them. As the paper stated, "The paths are signed 'Bicycles
May Use Sidewalk,' and their use is optional. In accordance with a
local ordinance these sidewalks are further signed for one-way bicycle
travel, although this prohibition is often ignored and rarely
enforced."

I clearly stated that the data indicated that the risk ratio for those
riding on the sidewalk in the same direction as traffic versus those
riding on the rroadway in the same direction as traffic is 1.2 to 1.3,
far lower than the 1.8 number that Krygowski fixates on, which itself
is significantly lower than the risk of riding the wrong way, which is
over a factor of 2.

BTW, the study I quoted measured accident rates, but did not control
for cyclist skill levels. Since I live in the area, I can add a
couple of personal observations - the really skilled people more
or less stay on the road, not the sidewalk, so the sidewalk risk
numbers are biased to some extent because of that - to the extent
that higher skill levels lead to reduced accident rates. A few
of the sidewalk cyclists obviously go way too fast for conditions
(ignoring red lights as well). Aside from the wrong-way issue and
a few adrenaline junkies, cyclists using the sidwalk seem to be
mostly behaving sensibly - riding at speeds appropriate for the
conditions - and the accident statistics bear that out.

I once saw a car bike collision on one of these roads - the cyclist
was riding the wrong way on the sidewalk fairly slowly. A driver had
come to a complete stop at a stop sign and was looking left to creep
forwards enough to get a view at traffic on the cross street. The
intersection was not a right-angle one, and the cyclist was
approaching slightly from the rear as a result. Just as the cyclist
entered the crosswalk, the car crept forward and they hit at very slow
speeds. The cyclist got a foot and hand down to break the fall, and
the front wheel was badly damaged, but there were no injuries beyond
perhaps a scraped palm. The accident was clearly the cyclists fault -
the sidewalk the cyclist was using had signs on it at the time
forbidding riding on the sidewalk in that direction. Had the cyclist
been going in the same direction as traffic, the driver would at least
have had a chance to spot the cyclist as the cyclist would not have
been behind the driver's head.

> > > cycling over 13 times as dangerous as road cycling, right? I don't
> > > think even your cherry picking is going to make that one go away.

> > There was no "cherry picking" - that is simply one of your lies. If
> > they got a factor of 13, you'll find that wrong-way riding was a
> > significant contributing factor to it.

> But NOT the only contributing factor!

So you claim, but why should anyone believe you when you never bothered to
provide a URL to the paper, if there even is one. The one I provided BTW
was published in a peer-reviewed journal.

> Sidewalk cycling IS more dangerous than roadway cycling. Pretending
> that people will do it only in one direction is specious, and
> pretending they won't be at risk if they do is worse.

Another lie from Krygowski since I pretended no such thing - I stated
quite clearly that the average factor of 1.8 was due to the large
number of people who ride in the wrong direction, which is even more
risky.

> Note, I'm not saying that nobody should ever ride on a sidewalk.
> There are times and places where it may make sense, and there are
> times and places where it can be done safely. But whitewashing the
> situation, pretending all the risk comes from riding the wrong-way,
> ignores the real dangers: cars cutting across sidewalks at driveways
> and parking lots, numerous blind spots, sidewalk edges that trap
> wheels, pedestrians & joggers & dogs with their random movements, sub-
> standard or dangerous pavement, interactions with surprised motorists
> when the cyclist crosses a road, etc.

ROTFLMAO - you wouldn't have a risk factor of 1.2 to 1.3 over riding
in the correct direction on the roadway if it was as bad as you claim,
and that number (from the paper) probably overstates the risk because
it includes hormone-crazed teenagers who go way too fast for
conditions and it includes people who most likely are significantly
less skilled than those who ride on the roadway. The authors simply
had no way from the accident-report data and observations they made of
measuring skill level.

Also, A driveway and parking-lot entrance is basically just another
intersection, and those are included in the study. One of the streets,
El Camino Real, is a 6 lane road with lots of businesse, driveways,
and blind intersections. Yet cyclists are not dropping like flies
because most on the sidwalk are going at a speed appropriate for
the conditions.

> If a cyclist plans to use a sidewalk, even for fifty feet, they need
> to be aware of all of those things, and be on high alert. But the
> common thinking is "I'm just on the sidewalk; I'm safe." That's a
> delusion, and your posts purposely contribute toward that delusion.

Liar. I gave a fair account of the data, providing the numbers
that backed up everything I said, and that is hardly "purposely
contribut[ing] to that delusion." As is typical of Krygowski, he
is not satisfied with showing data fairly but has some deep seated
need to lie about the data in a silly attempt to push whatever he
is touting at the moment.

> Fact is, you're so intent on gaining imaginary "arguing" points that
> you're willing to distort facts, spread misinformation, and endanger
> novices who read your posts. Those novices need to be warned against
> you.

Projection - all the distortion is coming from the general direction of
Frank Krygoswki, one of the most persistent liars on usenet.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:

> But the innocent bystanders already know what nemauZ
> is all about. People in general aren't stupid.

So they should know what you two are all about, and it isn't
pretty.

BTW, I still haven't seen your apology for your false statement
alleging that I "futzed" with headers. If I were into conspiracy
theories, I might suggest that you made it up so you could break
any link to what you were replying to (otherwise people could
easily find the original post).

--

[email protected] writes:

> On Aug 4, 3:21 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] writes:

> I agree that he rarely gets anyone agreeing with him, so perhaps
> you're right. But I do wonder about novice lurkers.

I don't see a ground swell of support for what you post - my guess
is that people are just staying out the discussion because your
behavior is so well known.

--

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
>
> > Look, I really don't have the time to deal with some moron who can't
> > understand the English language, nor with some character who
> > misunderstands on purpose.

> Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not even understand
> my own first language.

Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
you are no longer a moron. :)

> > The term "normal speed of traffic" appears in the California
> > Vehicle Code. It means precisely what it says (and the term
> > "traffic" refers to everything moving on the road - cars,
> > bicycles, horses, what-have-you). As I told you repeatedly,
> > "normal" modifies "speed", not "traffic". Can you get that through
> > your thick scull?

> Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are deemed to be
> slower, normal then defines normal traffic, and abnormal traffic.

Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
(the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
slow vehicles "abnormal".

> btw I don't own any boats.

When did boats enter the discussion? Trying to throw in a red herring
or something?

--

Bill Zaumen wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:
>>
>>> Look, I really don't have the time to deal with some moron who can't
>>> understand the English language, nor with some character who
>>> misunderstands on purpose.

>> Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not even understand
>> my own first language.

> Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
> you are no longer a moron. :)
>
>>> The term "normal speed of traffic" appears in the California
>>> Vehicle Code. It means precisely what it says (and the term
>>> "traffic" refers to everything moving on the road - cars,
>>> bicycles, horses, what-have-you). As I told you repeatedly,
>>> "normal" modifies "speed", not "traffic". Can you get that through
>>> your thick scull?

>> Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are deemed to be
>> slower, normal then defines normal traffic, and abnormal traffic.

> Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
> (the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
> than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
> up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
> slow vehicles "abnormal".
>
>> btw I don't own any boats.

> When did boats enter the discussion? Trying to throw in a red herring
> or something?

Hint: Zaumen wrote "Can you get that through your thick scull?",
implying that Martin Dann owner a scull, which is a type of boat.

One wonders if Zaumen really was referring to Martin Dann's "thick
skull", which is the bone structure surrounding the brain. A grammatical
error, perhaps? ;)

Bill Z. wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:
>>
>>> Look, I really don't have the time to deal with some moron who can't
>>> understand the English language, nor with some character who
>>> misunderstands on purpose.

>> Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not even understand
>> my own first language.

> Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
> you are no longer a moron. :)

Just checked the dictionary definition of the word moron,
according to the IQ definition I am actually 3 morons, so
I can post.

>>> The term "normal speed of traffic" appears in the California
>>> Vehicle Code. It means precisely what it says (and the term
>>> "traffic" refers to everything moving on the road - cars,
>>> bicycles, horses, what-have-you). As I told you repeatedly,
>>> "normal" modifies "speed", not "traffic". Can you get that through
>>> your thick scull?

>> Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are deemed to be
>> slower, normal then defines normal traffic, and abnormal traffic.

> Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
> (the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
> than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
> up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
> slow vehicles "abnormal".

This is still a Californian Legal term, it does not apply
to the rest of the world.
As a legal term, is should not be vague, it should be
defined as one of mode, median, mean, average, etc., not
changing every time you try and define it here.

btw The United Kingdom (including England) is not in
California.

>> btw I don't own any boats.

> When did boats enter the discussion? Trying to throw in a red herring
> or something?

Sorry you mentioned them first, I don't know why as they
don't normally travel on roads. (Or do they have a special
road lane in California).

"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Zaumen wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> >> Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not even understand
> >> my own first language.

> > Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
> > you are no longer a moron. :)

> >> Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are deemed to be
> >> slower, normal then defines normal traffic, and abnormal traffic.

> > Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
> > (the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
> > than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
> > up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
> > slow vehicles "abnormal".
> >
> >> btw I don't own any boats.

> > When did boats enter the discussion? Trying to throw in a red
> > herring
> > or something?

> Hint: Zaumen wrote "Can you get that through your thick scull?",
> implying that Martin Dann owner a scull, which is a type of boat.

Oh, you found another typo that my spelling corrector wouldn't find.
Good boy. We'll give you a lollipop.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> >> Sorry I must apologise for being a moron that does not even understand
> >> my own first language.

> > Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
> > you are no longer a moron. :)

> Just checked the dictionary definition of the word moron, according to
> the IQ definition I am actually 3 morons, so I can post.

Alas, the IQ's of morons are not additive.
> >> Normal modifies speed, but once certain vehicles are deemed to be
> >> slower, normal then defines normal traffic, and abnormal traffic.

> > Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
> > (the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
> > than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
> > up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
> > slow vehicles "abnormal".

> This is still a Californian Legal term, it does not apply to the rest
> of the world.
> As a legal term, is should not be vague, it should be defined as one
> of mode, median, mean, average, etc., not changing every time you try
> and define it here.

Bring it up with the state legislature. That's who wrote it. If you
get a ticket for crawling along in the left lane, however, feel free
to use that argument of yours in court and see how far it gets you.
I'm sure the judge will not be amused, other than by the expression
on your face when he tells you the fine.

--

Bill Z. wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:

>>> Since you've apologized, you can continue by refraining to post until
>>> you are no longer a moron. :)

>> Just checked the dictionary definition of the word moron, according to
>> the IQ definition I am actually 3 morons, so I can post.

> Alas, the IQ's of morons are not additive.

Even if IQ's were additive, I doubt you would get to one.

>>> Wrong. The term "normal speed" refers to basically the average speed
>>> (the term is a bit vague but probably means the median or mode rather
>>> than the mean). It is basically how fast one has to go without holding
>>> up other traffic (cars, bikes, scooters, etc.). It does not make
>>> slow vehicles "abnormal".

>> This is still a Californian Legal term, it does not apply to the rest
>> of the world.
>> As a legal term, is should not be vague, it should be defined as one
>> of mode, median, mean, average, etc., not changing every time you try
>> and define it here.

> Bring it up with the state legislature. That's who wrote it. If you
> get a ticket for crawling along in the left lane, however, feel free
> to use that argument of yours in court and see how far it gets you.
> I'm sure the judge will not be amused, other than by the expression
> on your face when he tells you the fine.

The UK is not in California. Your state legislature, much
as it would like to, does not write laws for the rest of
the world.

So if I am in court, and the Judge tries to judge me by
Californian law. My barrister would have the case thrown
out before you could say "Moron".

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> >> Just checked the dictionary definition of the word moron, according to
> >> the IQ definition I am actually 3 morons, so I can post.

> > Alas, the IQ's of morons are not additive.

> Even if IQ's were additive, I doubt you would get to one.

How lame, particularly since you are the one having persistent
problems understanding simple phrases.

> >> This is still a Californian Legal term, it does not apply to the rest
> >> of the world.
> >> As a legal term, is should not be vague, it should be defined as one
> >> of mode, median, mean, average, etc., not changing every time you try
> >> and define it here.

> > Bring it up with the state legislature. That's who wrote it. If you
> > get a ticket for crawling along in the left lane, however, feel free
> > to use that argument of yours in court and see how far it gets you.
> > I'm sure the judge will not be amused, other than by the expression
> > on your face when he tells you the fine.

> The UK is not in California. Your state legislature, much as it would
> like to, does not write laws for the rest of the world.

Having trouble with context, I see.

> So if I am in court, and the Judge tries to judge me by Californian
> law. My barrister would have the case thrown out before you could say
> "Moron".

Your barrister would not be allowed to practice law here unless he was
also a member of the California bar.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> donquijote1954 who? wrote:
> > On Aug 4, 2:15 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Google "Hubbert's Peak.

> > Oil production peak... It's gonna be fun to be alive and watch the
> > couch potatos finally pedalling when things finally start going down
> > hill (it'll be up hill for them though). I don't see much prevention
> > in practice, particularly when bicycles are mostly banned from the
> > dangerous roads --banned by fear, that is.

> How about stopping all the fear-mongering about how dangerous cycling is
> and the related promotion of h*lm*ts and segregated facilities? Chicken
> Little was wrong about the sky falling, and you are wrong about the true
> danger of cycling.

OK, let me put my week of watching predator behavior (Shark Week on
Discovery Channel) to the test... Some fearless people have learned to
hang from the pectoral fin of a shark and get a free ride! But one guy
was bitten in front of the camera and his calf was gone. And then we
have the majority of people who just fear the shark, period.

So how this majority of people want to approach the predator is up to
them, but I'd start by, a) TAMING THE BEAST (traffic calming
measures), and/or b) separating the predator from the prey (BIKE
LANES). And since some of you don't want to hear about the latter
(everyone has a phobia), then let's turn our attention to...

(all of these things are a package that comes with the revolution)

TRAFFIC CALMING

Traffic calming is a set of strategies used by urban planners and
traffic engineers which aim to slow down or reduce traffic, thereby
improving safety for pedestrians and bicyclists as well as improving
the environment for residents. Calming measures are common in Europe,
especially Northern Europe; less so in North America.

Traffic calming was traditionally justified on the grounds of
pedestrian safety and reduction of noise and local air pollution which
are side effects of the traffic. However, streets have many social and
recreational functions which are severely impaired by car traffic. The
Livable Streets study by Donald Appleyard (circa 1977) found that
residents of streets with light traffic had, on average, three more
friends and twice as many acquaintances as the people on streets with
heavy traffic which were otherwise similar in dimensions, income, etc.
For much of the twentieth century, streets were designed by engineers
who were charged only with ensuring traffic flow and not with
fostering the other functions of streets. The basis for traffic
calming is broadening traffic engineering to include designing for
these functions.

There are 3 "E"'s that traffic engineers refer to when discussing
traffic calming: engineering, (community) education, and (police)
enforcement. Because neighborhood traffic management studies have
shown that often it is the residents themselves who are contributing
to the perceived speeding problem within the neighborhood, it is
stressed that the most effective traffic calming plans will entail all
three components, and that engineering measures alone will not produce
satisfactory results.

A number of visual changes to roads are being made to many streets to
bring about more attentive driving, reduced speeds, reduced crashes,
and greater tendency to yield to pedestrians. Visual traffic calming
includes lane narrowings (9-10'), road diets (reduction in lanes), use
of trees next to streets, on-street parking, and buildings placed in
urban fashion close to streets.

Some additional traffic calming techniques that are often used are
speed humps, speed cushions, and speed tables. These devices vary in
size based on the desired speed. Humps, cushions and tables slow cars
to between 10 and 25 miles per hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_calming

COMING SOON
http://atom.smasher.org/streetparty/?l1=Coming+Soon:&l2=the&l3=Banana+Revolution!&l4=

Bill Z. wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:
>>> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

>>> Bring it up with the state legislature. That's who wrote it. If you
>>> get a ticket for crawling along in the left lane, however, feel free
>>> to use that argument of yours in court and see how far it gets you.
>>> I'm sure the judge will not be amused, other than by the expression
>>> on your face when he tells you the fine.

I crawled home tonight in the left lane, I was tired from
a hard days work in the office.

>> The UK is not in California. Your state legislature, much as it would
>> like to, does not write laws for the rest of the world.

> Having trouble with context, I see.

I think you are the one having trouble here. You are
cross-posting to UK.rec.cycling. Your state legislature
does not have powers to make laws here, or for 90+% of the
readers of the groups you are posting to.

>> So if I am in court, and the Judge tries to judge me by Californian
>> law. My barrister would have the case thrown out before you could say
>> "Moron".

> Your barrister would not be allowed to practice law here unless he was
> also a member of the California bar.

Why would my barrister be arguing in a Californian court,
when I am never likely to visit your state.

I don't think you understand that California does not
equal The World.

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> I crawled home tonight in the left lane, I was tired from a hard days
> work in the office.
>
> >> The UK is not in California. Your state legislature, much as it would
> >> like to, does not write laws for the rest of the world.

> > Having trouble with context, I see.

> I think you are the one having trouble here. You are cross-posting to
> UK.rec.cycling. Your state legislature does not have powers to make
> laws here, or for 90+% of the readers of the groups you are posting to.

It is being cross-posted to rec.bicycles.soc and rec.bicycles.misc so
your 90+% thing is pure speculation, but regardless, you were having
trouble with context.

> >> So if I am in court, and the Judge tries to judge me by Californian
> >> law. My barrister would have the case thrown out before you could say
> >> "Moron".

> > Your barrister would not be allowed to practice law here unless he
> > was
> > also a member of the California bar.

> Why would my barrister be arguing in a Californian court, when I am
> never likely to visit your state.
>
> I don't think you understand that California does not equal The World.

I don't think you understand that you are posting to two non-UK
newsgroups and one UK newsgroup, and the UK does not equal "The World".

--

Bill Z. wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

>> I think you are the one having trouble here. You are cross-posting to
>> UK.rec.cycling. Your state legislature does not have powers to make
>> laws here, or for 90+% of the readers of the groups you are posting to.

> It is being cross-posted to rec.bicycles.soc and rec.bicycles.misc so
> your 90+% thing is pure speculation, but regardless, you were having
> trouble with context.

The 90+% is based on the population of California being
36M, with the combined population of the USA and UK being
365M. It ignores other countries whose first language is
English like Canada, Australia, and parts of Africa and
South America. It also excludes the 700M people who use
English as a second language. I would say it is a fair
estimate.

The only context that I am having trouble with is your
insistence that your local laws apply to every one reading
your posts.

>> I don't think you understand that California does not equal The World.

> I don't think you understand that you are posting to two non-UK
> newsgroups and one UK newsgroup, and the UK does not equal "The World".

I understand that I am posting to two global newsgroups,
and one UK group.

I understand the UK does not equal the world, hence my not
insisting on applying English laws to other countries in
the world, or other countries in the UK.

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> >> I think you are the one having trouble here. You are cross-posting to
> >> UK.rec.cycling. Your state legislature does not have powers to make
> >> laws here, or for 90+% of the readers of the groups you are posting to.

> > It is being cross-posted to rec.bicycles.soc and rec.bicycles.misc so
> > your 90+% thing is pure speculation, but regardless, you were having
> > trouble with context.

> The 90+% is based on the population of California being 36M, with the
> combined population of the USA and UK being 365M. It ignores other
> countries whose first language is English like Canada, Australia, and
> parts of Africa and South America. It also excludes the 700M people
> who use English as a second language. I would say it is a fair
> estimate.
>
> The only context that I am having trouble with is your insistence that
> your local laws apply to every one reading your posts.

Except I never said that: I merely suggested that people who don't care
about the CVC refrain from driving or riding a bicycle in our state.

> >> I don't think you understand that California does not equal The World.

> > I don't think you understand that you are posting to two non-UK
> > newsgroups and one UK newsgroup, and the UK does not equal "The
> > World".

> I understand that I am posting to two global newsgroups, and one UK
> group.
>
> I understand the UK does not equal the world, hence my not insisting
> on applying English laws to other countries in the world, or other
> countries in the UK.

Do you understand that, in evaluating bike lanes, you should use the
vehicle codes that treat them appropriately, since the others can be
fixed?

--

On Aug 6, 8:32 pm, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Zigzagging: Most Dangerous Driving

> > Don't ask me for a study that backs up such a statement, it's just
> > obvious. Every time you get on the road you see these wild vehicles
> > (usually SUVs and larger vehicles) zigzagging all around playing a
> > game of Russian Roulette --a game they always win since they are
> > bigger...

> You guys always lose me with these SUVs are evil threads. I never
> have any problems with them when I'm on my motorcycle. You just have
> to drive your motorcycle like a car, following the same rules, keep
> your high beam on in the daytime, and make eye contact.

You'll be lucky if you can make eye contact. Most of them have tinted
windows.

If you are
> experiencing problems, I would guess it is one of three things: you
> are not keeping up to road speed, you are not accelerating as quickly
> as everyone else, or your bike just too small to be seen/noticed.

If they can miss a scooter, what comfort there's for a bicycle? Or
could it be that they simply miss it because they are engaged on the
phone, changing pampers, etc?

> You might want to consider something a bit bigger. I've ridden the
> Honda Silver Wing and that's a sweet ride.
>
> Other than that, the best you can do is get a really loud horn, such a
> boat horn or something.-

How about requiring these TRUCKS to require a TRUCK DRIVER'S LICENSE
(a step above driving a regular car but not a fully semi driver's
license) and banning cell phones, etc? I guess that would be too much
for the big business involved in SUVs...