Can you mount your bike from wrong side?

Tony Raven wrote:
> Not epilepsy but I can remember from my school days which were on the end
> of the "writing with your left hand is bad and must be corrected" era that
> left handers forced to learn to write with their right hand could develop
> stammers. The neurological rationale for that connection I don't know.

Perhaps it's simply that getting continually told you're doing it wrong
when doing something perfectly normal (that has little if any downside
over writing with the "approved" hand, and that doesn't harm anyone
else) is apt to take its toll on the self-confidence of any small child.

I have no training in child psychology, teaching, neurology or anything
related to it, but if presented with a "neurological rationale" by
someone who had, I'd want to know why they'd discarded/how they'd
controlled for the obvious answer first ...

-dan

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
> [email protected] says...
> > Rob Morley wrote:
> > > In article <[email protected]>,
> > > [email protected] says...
> > >
> > > I do the scoot and swing from either side - I'm better from the left,
> > > but then my left knee is less knackered than my right knee ...

> > AUSHTA: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html
> >

> I happen to like the cowboy mount and I don't think it's that hard on
> the wheels, the shuffle is a handy way to get on or off the bike without
> stopping, and I'm pretty sure that some cyclocrossers still practice the
> art of the flying leap. I probably mount 'properly' most of the time,
> but I do tend towards the flying or cowboy dismount.

i quite often step off as the bike is moving, standup swing leg over,
setp off bike, carry on walking as bike is still moving.

which side depends on what i'm getting off for.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:

> i quite often step off as the bike is moving, standup swing leg over,
> setp off bike, carry on walking as bike is still moving.
>
> which side depends on what i'm getting off for.
>
> roger

I decided to demonstrate this technique to number 2 son, with my parents
looking on. Cocked it up completely. Maybe I should have kept my dismount
lesson for a day when I hadn't been to the pub??
--

Martin Bulmer

Martin Bulmer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
> >
> > i quite often step off as the bike is moving, standup swing leg over,
> > setp off bike, carry on walking as bike is still moving.
> >
> > which side depends on what i'm getting off for.
> >
> > roger

> I decided to demonstrate this technique to number 2 son, with my parents
> looking on. Cocked it up completely. Maybe I should have kept my dismount
> lesson for a day when I hadn't been to the pub??

heh it's allways the way! bet son enjoyed the display though!

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com