Can you recomend me good web site to buy.

jrizo1

Feb 13, 2008
hi i am new on bikes i just got i new road bike and i will like to buy afew items on line can you please recomend me some good web sites to buy bike equiment please.

thank you very much.

go to your local bike shop, make some friends, spend some money, learn some one on one valuable advice that you cannot experience on the internet, it's worth it.

Jbucky1 said:
go to your local bike shop, make some friends, spend some money, learn some one on one valuable advice that you cannot experience on the internet, it's worth it.

Reality, what a concept.

Jbucky1 said:
in some countries -- like here, for instance -- this can mean paying double to 2.5 times as much for stuff. I guess it depends what you want and what you wanna know, but I'm not paying $178 for a pair of Pro Race 2s ( http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category94_1.htm ) when I can a pair online for $75

I kinda agree with 531 Aussie

Price of parts here in OZ is high. However when I need advice, or need to try something, I expect to pay the shop back by buying from them.

If I know what I want, and it doesn't require tools or experience that I don't have, I go to the net. Tires and tubes are one example.

I bought a chain and cassette for two bikes the other week. Took them to the LBS to be fitted, and had one bike serviced (the other had been done a few weeks before). Didn't get stung too badly for the service, but I expect to pay them for thier work. It still ended up cheaper than buying from them and a cheaper price for fitting, but I still paid for the bike mechs time.

I do think it is low to spend an hour in a shop, find out what you want, then buy form the net. They can't compete, and they have spent time on you.

However an interesting point to discuss is if you find the same product 10-20% cheaper in another bricks and mortor shop, should you still buy from the guys that spent the time on you??

As for the OP....if you are new to road cycling, go to the bike shop and learn. Yeah it will cost you a few extra $$$$, but cheaper than buying the wrong thing the first time.

Phill P said:
I do think it is low to spend an hour in a shop, find out what you want, then buy form the net. .
ha! :) This reminds me of a funny story ("save it for Leno, buddy"). When I was younger and even sillier, I used to hang out a lot in music shops, and there was a bloke who spent AGES (over a period of weeks) asking the guys at one particular shop all about some sort of digital sampler. He eventually bought the unit somewhere else for a couple of hundred bucks less, then brought it back to this shop to ask the guys how to use it. :) They just about man-handled him out of the place while they were telling him to fark off :)

One of the 'big' shops around here is getting rid of his frames, because he reckons he's getting killed on people buying frames O.S./online. He says he can only really/mostly make money on complete bikes, clothes, repairs, then, way down he list, some parts.

Jbucky1 said:

You can learn a lot from the internet instead of wasting your bike shop's time.

Yeah, and it sucks paying $55 each for Pro 2 Race's at a bike shop.

sure but you know what you can find a lot more staf on line that you will in your local shop.

jrizo1 said:
sure but you know what you can find a lot more staf on line that you will in your local shop.
Exactly. I've learnt 100x on this forum than I could ever get to learn from local shops. They're not interested in telling you how things work or giving you a fair review on products that compete with what they sell. Why would they be?

You can learn about products and concepts, but you can't have answers provided like:
Does my bike fit me properly?
Is my saddle adjusted properly?
What is making that noise and how do I stop it?
Will this fit?
Is this working properly?

And yeah you can buy a lot off the net that shops can't/aren't able to keep in stock. But if you don't know what you're doing who is going to fit it for you? And who is going to look after any warrenty claims?

scirocco said:
Exactly. I've learnt 100x on this forum than I could ever get to learn from local shops. They're not interested in telling you how things work or giving you a fair review on products that compete with what they sell. Why would they be?
This says you must have some very shitty bike shops where you live, sorry about that. Hope your bike works ok.

scirocco said:
Yes, not all local bike shops are good. But if you find a good one, you can develop a good relationship with the mechanics in the shop and learn a lot.

JTE83 said:
Yeah, and it sucks paying $55 each for Pro 2 Race's at a bike shop.
Ha! Tell me about it! $60 each up here.

I'm all for suporting your LBS but certain things are marked up way too much (tires being one of them).

I've seen Pro 2's for as low as $50/pair pretty regularly online.

Of course, when buying online, you do have to worry about knock-offs.

padawan said:
Ha! Tell me about it! $60 each up here.

I'm all for suporting your LBS but certain things are marked up way too much (tires being one of them).

I've seen Pro 2's for as low as $50/pair pretty regularly online.

Of course, when buying online, you do have to worry about knock-offs.
Yeah I think the MSRP is close to $60 each, but when you consider a LBS has overhead costs, stock financing fees, shipping and the fact you will get the best advice (if it's a good bike shop) and if your a regular you will prolly get a discount also, I normally get 15% off most of my stuff at my LBS and the advice they give is well worth shopping there. Mechanics which have been seasoned racers, road, crit, track and been wrenching for 10 or more years - cannot beat that level of advice.

I know that if your buting them for $50 a pait that's wholesale price - ie the web vendor must be buying over 500 units of them at a time to make any type of margin.