Can you replace a steerer tube on MTB suspension forks?

tallsam

Guest
I've got a bigger frame for my MTB and need to get some bigger forks
to match (then I'll switch all the other bits over). Problem is I
can't find any forks with a long enough steerer (2nd hand locally -
I've not got much to spare on this build). Is it possible to have the
steerer replaced on my old forks for a longer one?
If so who does it? Normal bike shops? Any idea how much it is?

It's a standard diameter and the forks are some old Rock Shox Judy's
(Threadless obviously).

Cheers.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:01:41 +0000, tallsam wrote:

> I've got a bigger frame for my MTB and need to get some bigger forks
> to match (then I'll switch all the other bits over). Problem is I
> can't find any forks with a long enough steerer (2nd hand locally -
> I've not got much to spare on this build). Is it possible to have the
> steerer replaced on my old forks for a longer one?
> If so who does it? Normal bike shops? Any idea how much it is?

Unless there's emotional significance in the forks, I'd say you're better
off putting them in the spares bin and getting a cheap fork with long
enough steerer off ebay or through a bike shop. The Judy's old enough now
that it probably needs a fair bit of work internally, and you can get
equivalant performance for not that much. Hell, I picked up a race quality
current generation fork for $400 ish a year or so back, brand new. That
was to allow a cascade to get another bike built up, and if you've got an
old frame and old forks, you're well on the way to N+1.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
We tend to view 'all publicity is good publicity' as a challenge

On Jul 30, 1:01 am, tallsam <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a bigger frame for my MTB and need to get some bigger forks
> to match (then I'll switch all the other bits over). Problem is I
> can't find any forks with a long enough steerer (2nd hand locally -
> I've not got much to spare on this build). Is it possible to have the
> steerer replaced on my old forks for a longer one?
> If so who does it? Normal bike shops? Any idea how much it is?
>
> It's a standard diameter and the forks are some old Rock Shox Judy's
> (Threadless obviously).
>
> Cheers.

I've done it on my MTB and my roadie/hybrid thingo. Lengthening is
easier than going from a threadless steerer to a threaded one (trust
me), but a bike shop isn't going to do it for you. I did mine myself,
cut the steerer, insert snug fitting steel tube (thick wall), weld up
again. If you don't have a welder or can't weld, a steel fabrication/
engineering shop might do it for you, but if you're on a budget it
might not be the best choice anyway.