Can you share with me your first riding experience?

I have a fond memory from my early 20s of learning to ride a bicycle with the help of some kind friends. In the summer of 2011, despite several prior attempts, I had yet to get the hang of balancing on two wheels. One weekend, a group invited me along to the local bicycle paths, where they took turns offering encouragement and steady guidance as I tried again. While the process involved several tumbles into the shrubbery, their patience and support kept my spirits high. By the end of the afternoon, to my delight, I finally found my balance and could cycle independently for short stretches. Even with scrapes to show for my falls, the sense of accomplishment made all the spills worthwhile. Ten years later, I remain grateful to that group for sharing their time and expertise to help this late bloomer unlock cycling as an enjoyable way to stay active.

Ever considered how cycling's exclusive jargon might inadvertently create cliques, making the community less welcoming? What if we intentionally used more inclusive language to foster a broader sense of belonging for all cyclists, newcomers and veterans alike? ‍♀️

Cycling community's exclusivity can be daunting to newcomers. Jargon and cliques may form barriers. Let's promote an inclusive cycling culture: using simple language, encouraging beginners, and fostering a welcoming environment. #CyclingForAll