Can you sort my bike out, Son?

R

Richard Bates

Dad: Can you sort my bike out please?
Son: Yes ok dad, what's up with it?
Dad: Oh it doesn't shift gears very well.
Son: Should be easy to sort out.
Dad: And I think the chain is in need of some oil too.
Son: Ok.

4 hours later it had had the rear hub greased, cassette changed (7th sprocket had 3 teeth mising!),
new chain applied, pedals re-greased. If I had a spare BB knocking around that would have been
changed too! It had been neglected somewhat!

I'll bloody charge him labour next time :)

Love and mucky hands from Rich x

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal
and binding contract.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Dad: Can you sort my bike out please? Son: Yes ok dad, what's up with it? Dad: Oh it doesn't shift
> gears very well. Son: Should be easy to sort out. Dad: And I think the chain is in need of some
> oil too. Son: Ok.
>
> 4 hours later it had had the rear hub greased, cassette changed (7th sprocket had 3 teeth
> mising!), new chain applied, pedals re-greased. If I had a spare BB knocking around that would
> have been changed too! It had been neglected somewhat!
>
> I'll bloody charge him labour next time :)
>
> Love and mucky hands from Rich x

You got off light! Last Sunday night I went off for 20 mile ride getting back at 2100 to find house
locked. I had no key and had to wait until 2145 in minus 3 degree cold until wife got back. Turns
out my Leeds based daughter had decided to catch the last train back which was cancelled. She was at
work in Leeds at 0700 and rang for a taxi only to be told that it would be 120 quid. Guess who had
to drive her the 130 mile round trip getting back at 0000?

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
: in minus 3 degree cold until wife got back. Turns out my Leeds based daughter had decided to catch
: the last train back which was cancelled. She was at work in Leeds at 0700 and rang for a taxi only
: to be told that it would be 120 quid. Guess who had to drive her the 130 mile round trip getting
: back at 0000?

If she had a ticket, then the rail company should have sorted her a taxi/bus/transport of their
choice to whatever station her ticket was for.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Dad: Can you sort my bike out please? Son: Yes ok dad, what's up with it? Dad: Oh it doesn't shift
> gears very well. Son: Should be easy to sort out. Dad: And I think the chain is in need of some
> oil too. Son: Ok.
>
> 4 hours later it had had the rear hub greased, cassette changed (7th sprocket had 3 teeth
> mising!), new chain applied, pedals re-greased. If I had a spare BB knocking around that would
> have been changed too! It had been neglected somewhat!
>
> I'll bloody charge him labour next time :)
>
> Love and mucky hands from Rich x

Think how many times he wiped your nose or worse while you were growing up. Its payback time!!

> DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
> like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a
> legal and binding contract.

Here's a virtual 50 quid note -- cash it if you can.

:~)

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> : in minus 3 degree cold until wife got back. Turns out my Leeds based daughter had decided to
> : catch the last train back which was cancelled.
She
> : was at work in Leeds at 0700 and rang for a taxi only to be told that it would be 120 quid.
> : Guess who had to drive her the 130 mile round trip getting back at 0000?
>
> If she had a ticket, then the rail company should have sorted her a taxi/bus/transport of their
> choice to whatever station her ticket was for.

She did but was told it would be "at least" 2 hours before any alternative transport could be
provided so she opted for the taxi option until she saw the price. Her ticket is still valid
of course.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:04:46 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Think how many times he wiped your nose or worse while you were growing up. Its payback time!!

My hands were so mucky I could have done with him today!

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal
and binding contract.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:00:11 +0000, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dad: Can you sort my bike out please? Son: Yes ok dad, what's up with it? Dad: Oh it doesn't shift
>gears very well. Son: Should be easy to sort out. Dad: And I think the chain is in need of some oil
>too. Son: Ok.
>
>4 hours later it had had the rear hub greased, cassette changed (7th sprocket had 3 teeth mising!),
>new chain applied, pedals re-greased. If I had a spare BB knocking around that would have been
>changed too! It had been neglected somewhat!
>
>I'll bloody charge him labour next time :)

How old is he? When I asked my Dad a similar question years ago I got talked through how to replace
and repair all that stuff. It was the last time I asked him.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us."
http://www.bensales.com

Simon Mason wrote:

> You got off light! Last Sunday night I went off for 20
> mile ride getting back at 2100 to find house locked. I had
> no key and had to wait until 2145 in minus 3 degree cold
> until wife got back.

Under these circumstances, I should advise heading for
the pub...

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter