can you tell the difference?

Ralph Ray

Jun 26, 2003
If you had 3 road bikes that looked the same but each one was made with different tubing, say Columbus SL, SLX & TSX, could you tell the difference on a 10 mile ride on each one? If not, would you opt for the cheaper one if having to buy one, or would you go with the high "ZOOT" factor tubing just for the bragging rights?

Ralph Ray said:
If you had 3 road bikes that looked the same but each one was made with different tubing, say Columbus SL, SLX & TSX, could you tell the difference on a 10 mile ride on each one? If not, would you opt for the cheaper one if having to buy one, or would you go with the high "ZOOT" factor tubing just for the bragging rights?
In todays market, there is no 'bragging rights' associated with any of the 3. SLX is better suited for bigger heavier riders and bigger frames sizes. You don't need it if you are a smaller lighter type. AFWIW, any one of them could be a POS depending on how it was built.

Ralph Ray said:

Heh. Hmm. Well, maybe, maybe not, eh? Depends on the tubesets, first off. "Could you tell the difference?" wouldn't be the end-all answer either, because technically, there would be a difference--the question is how subtle that difference would be, and that's subjective enough to call other factors into question. Maybe some riders could feel it, and others couldn't. Maybe it would depend on the terrain, and the riding style. Depending on the material, "grade" differentiation is often related to strength/weight ratios, so the most notable difference might be felt when climbing. Some tubsets of different grades might be more distinguishable from some than others. It's all maddeningly subjective.

Alllllll of which points to the golden answer in the great bike value game: there is no golden answer. There's no way to quantify if that $280 3T More Kevlar stem is absolutely better than the $80 3T Zepplin stem, and if they're different, no way to truly quantify how much it matters. There's no magic formula to the right frame, fork, wheelset or skewer. There's just no friggin way.

Shop by color.

;)

lokstah said:
...technically, there would be a difference--

Good responses both... I'd just add that the mere fact of [/I]knowing you have a great steel vs. a lesser steel is of value to me. Having worked hard to win the argument with the wife that, yes the bike (one only) does deserve a spot in the living room, I don't paying an extra few bucks for something I perceive as better for staring. Even though I might only complete a given ride a few seconds sooner with imperceptably less pain and no significant 'feel' difference along the ride.

RC2 said:
Good responses both... I'd just add that the mere fact of [/I]knowing you have a great steel vs. a lesser steel is of value to me. Having worked hard to win the argument with the wife that, yes the bike (one only) does deserve a spot in the living room, I don't paying an extra few bucks for something I perceive as better for staring. Even though I might only complete a given ride a few seconds sooner with imperceptably less pain and no significant 'feel' difference along the ride.

It's no secret that I'm COMPLETELY with you on that. As utterly subjective, opaque, mysterious or even flat-out bogus as bike tech hype can be, I'm the first guy to drool over the next big thing. Even my commuter bike is a little over-spec'd.

What can I say? There's a huge *toy* factor at play. Weeeeee!

...talk about hyperbole. Short answer is you couldn't tell the difference.
George

biker7 said:
...talk about hyperbole. Short answer is you couldn't tell the difference.
George

You missed class on the day it was explained that the point of this forum is to blab on and on and on about our bikes while we're not riding them. This is important and please don't poke fun at our attempts to extract meaningful dialogues out of trivial subjects other than double-vs-triple and how-smooth-should-the-road-be-for-the-road-bike-vs-the-cross.

boudreaux said:
In todays market, there is no 'bragging rights' associated with any of the 3. SLX is better suited for bigger heavier riders and bigger frames sizes. You don't need it if you are a smaller lighter type. AFWIW, any one of them could be a POS depending on how it was built.
Agree the wall thickness and dimensions of the tubeset ought to be sized to the rider; lightest isn't best for everyone. Rider weight, frame size, intended usage and durability needs would be selection criteria, not really price or bragging rights.

I'll play...lol RC...I'm not short on blab either as you know :p More disinformation from bore-troll. The SLX being better suited for bigger riders and frames is a patently false. What a surprise. The only advantage of progressively higher yield strength steels is the frame designer's ability to reduce wall thickness to derive the same section modulus which results in a modest weight savings period. A step further, may times lower grade steel frames have better fatigue life than higher tensile frames not only because of controlling the extrusion of thinner and harder wall during tube forming but welding higher grade steel tubes is more challenging as well.
Incidentally the same challenges exist within the Reynolds family of steels. The cost differential of higher grade steels is in the refining not in the physical materials within the steels. Frame designers adjust tubing wall thickness and diameter based upon frame size which typically correlates to rider weight...based upon material chosen. A higher grade steel therefore does not necessarily make a stronger frame for a bigger rider...a myth...it is in conjunction with frame geometry and wall thickness chosen. A recreational or club rider is actually better served to have a bike with a medium grade quality steel versus the highest end stuff for the above reasons...no value added.
George

biker7 said:
I'll play...lol RC...I'm not short on blab either as you know :p More disinformation from bore-troll. The SLX being better suited for bigger riders and frames is a patently false. What a surprise. The only advantage of progressively higher yield strength steels is the frame designer's ability to reduce wall thickness to derive the same section modulus which results in a modest weight savings period. A step further, may times lower grade steel frames have better fatigue life than higher tensile frame not only because of controlling the extrusion of thinner and harder wall during tube forming but welding higher grade steel tubes is more challenging as well.
Incidentally the same challenges exist within the Reynolds family of steels as well. The cost differential of higher grade steels is in the refining not in the physical materials within the steels. Frame designers adjust tubing wall thickness and diameter based upon frame size which typically correlates to rider weight...based upon material chosen. A higher grade steel therefore does not necessarily make a stronger frame for a bigger rider...a myth...it is in conjunction with frame geometry and wall thickness chosen. A recreational or club rider is actually better served to have a bike with a medium grade quality steel versus the highest end stuff for the above reasons...no value added.
George
Again the fool sticks foot in mouth ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:... SLX isn't even higher yeild than the others. All are Cyclex alloy, and standard diameter.SLX was made with special internal reenforcing spirals that stiffened it up in the butts.That and thicker walls(SP and SPX) was the drill in the old school stuff before before the common usage of higher strength alloys that allowed thinner tubes and lager diameter to get the desired frame stiffness. So Georgie boy in this case it's not about alloys , but how the tubes were configrued in the different cyclex alloy tubesets of the period. Much the same as with Nivacrom alloy and EL, EL-OS, Neuron, Genius,Max,Minimax, Nemo tubesets as well as other configurations produced from it. Different diameters,and butting so builers could craft frames to specific uses.........Fools really shouldn't open their mouths when they don't even have a clue what the topic of discussion is....Georgie seems to have a learning disability with regard to that concept tho. Yesterday he didn't have a clue as to how an integrated HS with a proprietry compression bung worked,but that didn't stop him from offering up not only totally lame but potentially dangerous advice...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This is a guy that certainly is not short on blab, but is even shorter on the sound knowledge base to go with it. Quite a dangerous situation,and somewhat analogus to a loose cannon. ;)

What a joke you are. SLX Chrome Molybdenum Cyclex tubing with cold drawn helical reinforcements that you call "spirals" is only a short lived method of localing adding strength and has no utility to anybody short of a professional cyclist...to the poster's question. Changes in wall thickness and frame geometry can easy compensate for any added strength of circumspect spirals as you misreference.
You telling me about steel metallurgy and processing bore-troll is like the little boy you are telling his father that he is ready to move out of the house.
You couldn't tell a stress/strain curve from "a spiral" if it hit you in the face.
I have forgotten more about steel material and mechanical properties than you ever even thought about in that small mind of yours. And please, use the spell checker so your unintelligible tripe is at least readable enough to be the comedy it is.
One more thing. Keep in mind this is a public forum and not just your swamp. The comments you made to 14 year old Smeg the other day were reprehensible.
George

biker7 said:
What a joke you are. SLX Chrome Molybdenum Cyclex tubing with cold drawn helical reinforcements that you call "spirals" is only a short lived method of localing adding strength and has no utility to anybody short of a professional cyclist...to the poster's question. Changes in wall thickness and frame geometry can easy compensate for any added strength of circumspect spirals as you misreference.
You telling me about steel metallurgy and processing bore-troll is like the little boy you are telling his father that he is ready to move out of the house.
You couldn't tell a stress/strain curve from "a spiral" if it hit you in the face.
I have forgotten more about steel material and mechanical properties than you ever even thought about in that small mind of yours. And please, use the spell checker so your unintelligible tripe is at least readable enough to be the comedy it is.
One more thing. Keep in mind this is a public forum and not just your swamp. The comments you made to 14 year old Smeg the other day were reprehensible.
George
Go tell it to somebody else fool.It wasn't about alloy to begin with,but the fool was too quick with the blab button to realize it.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... You planted you foot in your mouth,and no ammount of backpedaling will extract it.AFWIW, SLX had a pretty long production run and was apparently good enough that Columbus kept it around as the New SLX.....Enjoy the swamp....fool. The alligators smell blood. ;)

Your identity is now known. You aren't really bore-troll who lives in his parent's basement...or is it the light tower?...its Mr. T. :D
George

lokstah said:
Can we get back on the subject of color-scheme, please?
Pink. It's commonly known that it's 80% harder for someone to hold your wheel when they're pointing and laughing.:p