Canada (BC) trip

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Candt, May 6, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The route being

    Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    Jasper Banff

    all in 2 weeks... Now I'm not going to be doing any riding - so as a substitute
    - any places I should look out for that will offer a bit of 'retail therapy'... With nice cheap
    prices for clothes, bike bits, etc....

    Cheers,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    CandT wrote:
    > Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The route being
    >
    > Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    > Jasper Banff
    >

    > all in 2 weeks... Now I'm not going to be doing any riding - so as a substitute
    > - any places I should look out for that will offer a bit of 'retail therapy'... With nice cheap
    > prices for clothes, bike bits, etc....
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > CandT

    We live just south of the border, and do a lot of road tripping up to BC, driven up to the Yukon and
    do a lot of rafting and other trips up there so maybe this info will be of help...

    First, pick up a set of these books, BC backroads mapbooks. http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/ They
    are great books for scenic back roads drives, where trailheads are, climbing spots, hot springs,
    natural features, dispersed camping and other things.

    Not sure if you are Canadian, but if you aren't, keep in mind the great exchange rate and look for
    sale( super sale) racks.

    There's a great little hot springs just east of Revelstoke called Albert Canyon, and there's a
    primitive campground ( provincial forest) just across the highway... if you are doing camping.

    While not biking, (more backpacking etc) there's a Canadian company (based in Vernon) called
    Valhalla Pure Outfitters, http://www.valhalla-pure.com/floca.htm in Smithers & Vancouver, They
    manufacture really fine fleece and wicking clothing, made in Canada and they are neat little shops.
    Nelson has a patagonia outlet but it doesn't sound like you are going to make it there.

    You don't say what kind of "family" but most of the communities in BC have really excellent aquatic
    centers that you can get into for just a couple of bucks.... really clean, big pools, slides, rope
    swings, high dives, sauna etc... something for everyone and a nice break or if you need a shower.
    Good cheap fun..

    hth

    Penny

  3. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The
    route
    > being
    >
    > Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    > Jasper Banff
    >

    > all in 2 weeks... Now I'm not going to be doing any riding - so as a
    substitute
    > - any places I should look out for that will offer a bit of 'retail
    therapy'...
    > With nice cheap prices for clothes, bike bits, etc....

    Sounds like you're looking for a bit of shopping eh! In Vancouver you have to visit John Henry's
    http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/ . It's sick, so hide you credit cards before entering lol.

    Shaun Bell

  4. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, CandT wrote:
    > Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The route being
    >
    > Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    > Jasper Banff

    Wow. That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. You've got a lot of places that would be brilliant
    riding all strung up on your schedule, and you can't bring your bike? I feel a little pang for you.

    Anyway, those are all great places to visit. I have no specific advice as to where you should shop,
    but enjoy your time here. Jasper and Banff are two of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen.

    JS

    --
    ======================== [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]et.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > CandT wrote:
    > > Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The route being
    > >
    > > Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    > > Jasper Banff
    > >

    > > all in 2 weeks... Now I'm not going to be doing any riding - so as a substitute
    > > - any places I should look out for that will offer a bit of 'retail therapy'... With nice cheap
    > > prices for clothes, bike bits, etc....
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > CandT
    >
    > We live just south of the border, and do a lot of road tripping up to BC, driven up to the Yukon
    > and do a lot of rafting and other trips up there so maybe this info will be of help...
    >
    > First, pick up a set of these books, BC backroads mapbooks. http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/ They
    > are great books for scenic back roads drives, where trailheads are, climbing spots, hot springs,
    > natural features, dispersed camping and other things.
    >
    > Not sure if you are Canadian, but if you aren't, keep in mind the great exchange rate and look for
    > sale( super sale) racks.
    >
    > There's a great little hot springs just east of Revelstoke called Albert Canyon, and there's a
    > primitive campground ( provincial forest) just across the highway... if you are doing camping.
    >
    > While not biking, (more backpacking etc) there's a Canadian company (based in Vernon) called
    > Valhalla Pure Outfitters, http://www.valhalla-pure.com/floca.htm in Smithers & Vancouver, They
    > manufacture really fine fleece and wicking clothing, made in Canada and they are neat little
    > shops. Nelson has a patagonia outlet but it doesn't sound like you are going to make it there.
    >
    > You don't say what kind of "family" but most of the communities in BC have really excellent
    > aquatic centers that you can get into for just a couple of bucks.... really clean, big pools,
    > slides, rope swings, high dives, sauna etc... something for everyone and a nice break or if you
    > need a shower. Good cheap fun..
    >
    > hth
    >
    > Penny

    Funny she'd mention a tiny (but awesome) place like Campbell River. Must be the fishing... Paladin

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> CandT wrote:
    >>> Got a road trip with family, (but no bike), planned for September. The route being
    >>>
    >>> Vancouver, Victoria, Campbell River Port Hardy Prince Rupert (by boat) Smithers Prince George
    >>> Jasper Banff
    >>>

    >>> all in 2 weeks... Now I'm not going to be doing any riding - so as a substitute
    >>> - any places I should look out for that will offer a bit of 'retail therapy'... With nice cheap
    >>> prices for clothes, bike bits, etc....
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> CandT
    >>
    >> We live just south of the border, and do a lot of road tripping up to BC, driven up to the Yukon
    >> and do a lot of rafting and other trips up there so maybe this info will be of help...
    >>
    >> First, pick up a set of these books, BC backroads mapbooks. http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/ They
    >> are great books for scenic back roads drives, where trailheads are, climbing spots, hot springs,
    >> natural features, dispersed camping and other things.
    >>
    >> Not sure if you are Canadian, but if you aren't, keep in mind the great exchange rate and look
    >> for sale( super sale) racks.
    >>
    >> There's a great little hot springs just east of Revelstoke called Albert Canyon, and there's a
    >> primitive campground ( provincial forest) just across the highway... if you are doing camping.
    >>
    >> While not biking, (more backpacking etc) there's a Canadian company (based in Vernon) called
    >> Valhalla Pure Outfitters, http://www.valhalla-pure.com/floca.htm in Smithers & Vancouver, They
    >> manufacture really fine fleece and wicking clothing, made in Canada and they are neat little
    >> shops. Nelson has a patagonia outlet but it doesn't sound like you are going to make it there.
    >>
    >> You don't say what kind of "family" but most of the communities in BC have really excellent
    >> aquatic centers that you can get into for just a couple of bucks.... really clean, big pools,
    >> slides, rope swings, high dives, sauna etc... something for everyone and a nice break or if you
    >> need a shower. Good cheap fun..
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> Penny
    >

    > Funny she'd mention a tiny (but awesome) place like Campbell River. Must be the fishing... Paladin

    huh? I know we must have driven through there..?

    Penny