Canada - Best TV Station for Tour de France ??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Churchill, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    I am on Bell Vu Express Satellite, what station is covering the Tour de
    France best ? Is there anyone covering it from start to finish each day ? I
    will order today, once I find out which one to order!

    Thank you

    Tags:

  2. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    CBS is excellent, as it has one FULL hour of coverage every week?!!!??

    Have fun!??!?!?!?

    "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am on Bell Vu Express Satellite, what station is covering the Tour

    de
    > France best ? Is there anyone covering it from start to finish each

    day ? I
    > will order today, once I find out which one to order!
    >
    > Thank you

  3. occupant

    occupant Guest

    I had hoped that one of the major sports networks would be carrying it.
    OLN I believe is the only station (Vancouver, Channel 49) which I don't
    get. If CBC is only showing one hour's worth a week, it would appear
    that I won't be seeing it at all. The doping rumours aren't helping to
    make it a must see.

  4. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    "occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I had hoped that one of the major sports networks would be carrying it.
    > OLN I believe is the only station (Vancouver, Channel 49) which I don't
    > get. If CBC is only showing one hour's worth a week, it would appear
    > that I won't be seeing it at all. The doping rumours aren't helping to
    > make it a must see.

    Hello fellows:

    What I thinking about was an ESPN sports "TYPE" channel that show the Tour
    de France from start to finish with interesting stories during the ride ?!

    Am I dreaming in techno-colour -:)

  5. what

    what Guest

    try and see if they have "canal evasion" .(http://www.canalevasion.com/)..
    last year they had a few hours a day of live feed from france with a local
    Quebec commentator who pretty much knew his stuff

  6. "Jiyang Chen" wrote:
    > CBS is excellent, as it has one FULL hour of coverage every week?!!!??

    One FUUL hour (Less the commercials, recaps of what they showed the previous
    week, and bits on French tourist attractions).

    Art Harris

  7. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Churchill" wrote ...
    > I am on Bell Vu Express Satellite, what station is covering the Tour de
    > France best ? Is there anyone covering it from start to finish each day ?

    > will order today, once I find out which one to order!

    We're on cable, and OLN has it. Last year we were on holiday on PEI and
    followed the tour on Satellite no problem.

    Jim Flom

  8. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    "what" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > try and see if they have "canal evasion"

    ..(http://www.canalevasion.com/)..
    > last year they had a few hours a day of live feed from france with a local
    > Quebec commentator who pretty much knew his stuff

    Looks french...

    > "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > I had hoped that one of the major sports networks would be carrying

    it.
    > > > OLN I believe is the only station (Vancouver, Channel 49) which I

    don't
    > > > get. If CBC is only showing one hour's worth a week, it would appear
    > > > that I won't be seeing it at all. The doping rumours aren't helping

    > > > make it a must see.

    > > Hello fellows:
    > >
    > > What I thinking about was an ESPN sports "TYPE" channel that show the

    Tour
    > > de France from start to finish with interesting stories during the ride

    ?!

    > > Am I dreaming in techno-colour -:)

  9. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    news:[email protected]

    ?
    > > will order today, once I find out which one to order!

    > We're on cable, and OLN has it. Last year we were on holiday on PEI and
    > followed the tour on Satellite no problem.
    >
    > Jim Flom

    Hi,

    What does OLN stand for ?

    Are u on Bell Vu Express ? If so, which group of channels does it come in ?

  10. B Paton

    B Paton Guest

    > I am on Bell Vu Express Satellite, what station is covering the Tour de
    > France best ? >

    It's on OLN, live daily coverage. Check out their website for a broadcast
    schedule:

    www.facetheelements.com

    My preference is to record the live feed in the morning and FF the
    commercials later that day. The evening broadcast is an edited package that
    tends to hint at the stage result, to me anyway.

    Don't bother subscribing for anything but the tour (unless you really like
    fishing shows). Canadian OLN does not carry any other cycling, unlike
    American OLN which has quite a bit.

  11. On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:17:46 -0400, "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> "Churchill" wrote ...
    >> > I am on Bell Vu Express Satellite, what station is covering the Tour de
    >> > France best ? Is there anyone covering it from start to finish each day

    >?
    >> > will order today, once I find out which one to order!

    >> We're on cable, and OLN has it. Last year we were on holiday on PEI and
    >> followed the tour on Satellite no problem.
    >>
    >> Jim Flom

    >Hi,
    >
    >What does OLN stand for ?

    Outdoor Life Network http://www.tsn.ca/oln/

    J. Spaceman

  12. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:17:46 -0400, "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> "Churchill" wrote ...

    de

    day
    > >?
    > >>
    > >> We're on cable, and OLN has it. Last year we were on holiday on PEI

    and
    > >> followed the tour on Satellite no problem.
    > >>
    > >> Jim Flom

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >What does OLN stand for ?

    > Outdoor Life Network http://www.tsn.ca/oln/

    So OLN is actually TSN on Bell Express Vu ??

  13. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Churchill" wrote...

    > What does OLN stand for ?

    See Jason's response for this.

    > Are u on Bell Vu Express ? If so, which group of channels does it come in

    ?

    I'm not. I'm running Shaw Cable in BC. The channel I get it on would not
    be helpful. Not sure whether the OLN on PEI was USA or C. ;-)

  14. "occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I had hoped that one of the major sports networks would be carrying it.
    > OLN I believe is the only station (Vancouver, Channel 49) which I don't
    > get. If CBC is only showing one hour's worth a week, it would appear
    > that I won't be seeing it at all. The doping rumours aren't helping to
    > make it a must see.

    Here in Quebec we have "canal evasion" which basically has the same coverage
    as OLN but with french commentators. Most cable companies here carry that
    channel so if you don't get Oln you can see it on Evasion. I get both on my
    cable package.

  15. "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:17:46 -0400, "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]

    Tour
    > de

    > day
    > > >?

    > and

    > > >Hi,
    > > >
    > > >What does OLN stand for ?

    > > Outdoor Life Network http://www.tsn.ca/oln/

    > So OLN is actually TSN on Bell Express Vu ??

    OLN is part of the TSN network, along with RDS and ESPN classic. At least
    that's how it is in canada.

  16. Doug Purdy

    Doug Purdy Guest

    "Jason Spaceman" <n[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Outdoor Life Network http://www.tsn.ca/oln/

    Thanks very much for the link. They even have a lot of Tour info on their
    website. Their coverage of bike racing is improving by leaps and bounds. Now
    if they'd only show the other races.

    Doug

  17. On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:05:08 -0400, "Churchill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >What does OLN stand for ?

    >> Outdoor Life Network http://www.tsn.ca/oln/

    >So OLN is actually TSN on Bell Express Vu ??

    No, OLN is its own channel, separate from TSN; and it is available on
    Express Vu, Rogers Digital, and regular cable as well (channel 58 here
    in the Toronto area).

    TSN, OLN, CTV, and a few other channels are all part of the
    Bell-Globemedia fine family of TV channels. (actually, BGmedia only
    owns 33% of OLN according to their website -->
    http://www.bellglobemedia.ca/x/?cid=2546 but I digress).

    OLN is the neglected child of the family, stuck showing strongman
    competitions and re-runs of Lonely Planet during most of the year.
    But for one month of every year Lance and friends magically appear on
    the screen for several hours per day. Then they all disappear again
    near the end of July, never to be seen again until next year. And
    then its another 11 months of seeing dudes on 'roids pull 18 wheelers
    with a rope, and Ian Wright eating cooked goat's testicles in northern
    Finland or some place like that.

    J. Spaceman

  18. On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:32:55 -0400, "Marlene Blanshay"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> I had hoped that one of the major sports networks would be carrying it.
    >> OLN I believe is the only station (Vancouver, Channel 49) which I don't
    >> get. If CBC is only showing one hour's worth a week, it would appear
    >> that I won't be seeing it at all. The doping rumours aren't helping to
    >> make it a must see.

    >Here in Quebec we have "canal evasion" which basically has the same coverage
    >as OLN but with french commentators. Most cable companies here carry that
    >channel so if you don't get Oln you can see it on Evasion. I get both on my
    >cable package.

    Canal Evasion is available on Rogers Digital here in the Toronto area
    (channel 513 I think), but you have to subscribe to it.

    J. Spaceman

  19. JFJones

    JFJones Guest

    "B Paton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    .... snip
    > Don't bother subscribing for anything but the tour (unless you really like
    > fishing shows). Canadian OLN does not carry any other cycling, unlike
    > American OLN which has quite a bit.

    That's what I do. Get connected before the tour and cancel after it.
    No connect/disconnect charges here in Ottawa so costs about $15 CAD. I
    also let TSN and my cable company know that I won't subscribe for a
    full year unless OLN carries the classics and other grand tours - Giro
    and Vuelta.

    Canadian viewers should let their sentiments be known at:

    [email protected]

    JFJ.

  20. Churchill

    Churchill Guest

    "JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "B Paton" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > ... snip
    > > Don't bother subscribing for anything but the tour (unless you really

    like
    > > fishing shows). Canadian OLN does not carry any other cycling, unlike
    > > American OLN which has quite a bit.

    > That's what I do. Get connected before the tour and cancel after it.
    > No connect/disconnect charges here in Ottawa so costs about $15 CAD. I
    > also let TSN and my cable company know that I won't subscribe for a
    > full year unless OLN carries the classics and other grand tours - Giro
    > and Vuelta.
    >
    > Canadian viewers should let their sentiments be known at:
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > JFJ.

    Just got OLN ten minutes ago, I am really impressed with the quality of the
    coverage, very professional, not cheesy at all !!