Canada officials concerned about import bikes

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> writes:

> And I didn't even know Canada had a bike industry!

Brodie, Kona, Devinci, Cervelo, Norco, Mikado,
Rocky Mountain, Dekerf, Marinoni, et al.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Ken Marcet wrote:
> and the effect of such bikes on Canada's bike industry.
> http://www.thanhniennews.com/business/?catid=2&newsid=5295
> And I didn't even know Canada had a bike industry!
> Well anyway, they need to stop complaining about cheap imports.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
> And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Interesting. I am, in theory, a big proponent of free trade. I'd be
interested in seeing what kind of imports Vietnam is getting from any
other countries, and if they are tarriffing products from Canada. If
so, I think Canada is more than justified in balancing the trade
defecit to an equal degree through tarriffs.

Then again, Canadian manufacturers might consider looking to see if
they're losing market share to Vietnamese imports and if so, what they
can do (short of tariffs) to rectify the situation. Perhaps they can
find ways to reduce labor costs, improve quality, or achieve some other
competitive advantage besides pricing that Vietnamese commpanies can't
match. Customer service and product quality are the two obvious areas
where they might be able to beat Vietnam manufacturers.

-Bill Henry

[email protected] (Ken Marcet) wrote:

>And I didn't even know Canada had a
>bike industry! Well anyway, they need to
>stop complaining about cheap imports.

>Ken

What, You've never heard of Rocky Mountain Bicycles???
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/ And my
homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > And I didn't even know Canada had a bike industry!

> Brodie, Kona, Devinci, Cervelo, Norco, Mikado,
> Rocky Mountain, Dekerf, Marinoni, et al.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

And at least three of them build their frames in Canada!

Seriously, I would say the Canadian bike industry is surprisingly large.
Some of these companies are legitimate players in the international
market, and there are whole categories of mountain bikes that are
practically designed for and named after Vancouver's North Shore trails.
Literally: Norco calls its heavy-duty hardtails "Shore Hardtails", named
one of its top freeride bikes "Shore" (and another two are named after
Whistler trails).

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[email protected] (Ken Marcet) wrote:

>And I didn't even know Canada had a
>bike industry! Well anyway, they need to
>stop complaining about cheap imports.

>Ken

What, You've never heard of Rocky Mountain Bicycles???

Sure I have heard of them and a couple of the others mentioned in Toms
reply, but never realized they were made in Canada.

Ken

--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/ And my
homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > And I didn't even know Canada had a bike industry!

> Brodie, Kona, Devinci, Cervelo, Norco, Mikado,
> Rocky Mountain, Dekerf, Marinoni, et al.

Oh okay I never realized Rocky Mountain or Cervelo were Canadian.

Ken

> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> -- Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:38:44 -0500, <[email protected]>,
"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sure I have heard of them and a couple of the others mentioned in Toms
>reply, but never realized they were made in Canada.

I'll bet you didn't even know that the zippers you use every day are a
Canadian invention. Superman, paint rollers and green plastic garbage
bags too.
--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:38:44 -0500, <[email protected]>,
>"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sure I have heard of them and a couple of the others mentioned in Toms
>>reply, but never realized they were made in Canada.

>I'll bet you didn't even know that the zippers you use every day are a
>Canadian invention. Superman, paint rollers and green plastic garbage
>bags too.

Hey, hey, hey... you can have the paint rollers and garbage bags, but
we're keepin' Superman. You guys just don't have enough
super-villians (well, since your last election anyway). ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Yeah let them keep the garbage bags, and the zippers, we'll take credit for
the Man of Steel, oh yeah and the internet as well!

Ken

> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:38:44 -0500, <[email protected]>,
> >"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Sure I have heard of them and a couple of the others mentioned in Toms
> >>reply, but never realized they were made in Canada.

> >I'll bet you didn't even know that the zippers you use every day are a
> >Canadian invention. Superman, paint rollers and green plastic garbage
> >bags too.

> Hey, hey, hey... you can have the paint rollers and garbage bags, but
> we're keepin' Superman. You guys just don't have enough
> super-villians (well, since your last election anyway). ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

>Yeah let them keep the garbage bags,
>and the zippers, we'll take credit for the
>Man of Steel, oh yeah and the internet
>as well!

>Ken

OK, now that's taking it a little TOO far! We all know the internet was
really invented by Bill Clinton!! §;-3)>

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

>Seriously, I would say the Canadian bike
>industry is surprisingly large. Some of
>these companies are legitimate players
>in the international market, and there are
>whole categories of mountain bikes that
>are practically designed for and named
>after Vancouver's North Shore trails.
>Literally: Norco calls its heavy-duty
>hardtails "Shore Hardtails", named one
>of its top freeride bikes "Shore" (and
>another two are named after Whistler
>trails).
>--
>Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]

Same here. My Rocky Mtn. is named after a North Shore trail, the "Grim
Reaper".

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

>I'll bet you didn't even know that the
>zippers you use every day are a
>Canadian invention. Superman, paint
>rollers and green plastic garbage bags
>too.
>--
>zk

Superman? Really? I know "Smallville" is filmed there, But I thought the
original Supes got his start in New York.

- -

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

>>Yeah let them keep the garbage bags,
>>and the zippers, we'll take credit for the
>>Man of Steel, oh yeah and the internet
>>as well!

>>Ken

>OK, now that's taking it a little TOO far! We all know the internet was
>really invented by Bill Clinton!! §;-3)>

I think you meant Al Gore, no?

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:48:38 -0700,
<[email protected]>, Mark Hickey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey, hey, hey... you can have the paint rollers and garbage bags, but
>we're keepin' Superman.

The artwork was done by Joe Shuster. He was born in Toronto,Ontario.
Youse guys can only claim half of Superman.
--
zk

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:
>
> >>Yeah let them keep the garbage bags,
> >>and the zippers, we'll take credit for the
> >>Man of Steel, oh yeah and the internet
> >>as well!

> >>Ken

> >OK, now that's taking it a little TOO far! We all know the internet was
> >really invented by Bill Clinton!! §;-3)>

> I think you meant Al Gore, no?

I don't know that one particular person is to blame for the internet, but I
do know it was a creation of the U.S. military!

Ken