Canadian insurance companies for bikes

Jim Flom

Guest
Does anyone know of an insurance company for Canada that I can use for a
couple of months for my bikes? The best policy I can come up with insures
for the first thousand only, then it's $9 per hundred after that.

Sorry for the cross-post but I know there are Canadians in rbr. Thanks.

Jim

State farm does for house insurance and includes up to 10g for sports
including bikes

In article <5hTHc.26629$eO.6222@edtnps89>,
"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of an insurance company for Canada that I can use for a
> couple of months for my bikes? The best policy I can come up with insures
> for the first thousand only, then it's $9 per hundred after that.
>
> Sorry for the cross-post but I know there are Canadians in rbr. Thanks.
>
> Jim

Self-insurance. Seriously. They're trying to hint to you that they don't
much want your business, because expensive bikes are a bad risk.

Owning a bike worth more than a thousand bucks means you either have a
hobby or are a pro (people who need a bike for business can easily make
do on cheaper wheels). If you are a hobbyist, then self-insure or get a
bike you can afford to replace. If you are a pro, then write off the
cost of insurance.

There is a certain misunderstanding, in my opinion, about what insurance
is for. You only buy insurance on things that you couldn't afford to
replace, but would have to replace if you lost them. So, homeowner
insurance is wise. Household contents insurance is a pretty reasonable
thing, unless you could live for a while without clothes or furniture.
Car liability insurance is mandatory for a reason.

Bike insurance? Functional bikes are cheap. Expensive bikes are hobby
toys (and I say that as someone who owns a shed's worth of bicycles).
Don't have a hobby you can't afford, and don't insure your hobby.

-RjC.
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:44:17 GMT, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Does anyone know of an insurance company for Canada that I can use for a
>couple of months for my bikes? The best policy I can come up with insures
>for the first thousand only, then it's $9 per hundred after that.
>
>Sorry for the cross-post but I know there are Canadians in rbr. Thanks.

I have a $2000 policy on a bike with Economical Insurance Group, $50
deductable for $55 per annum.

--
Robb McLeod ([email protected])
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.