Canberra cyclists - magpie warning (yes I know it is December!)

Rob Woozle

Guest
Folks,

If you decide to take the road to Yass then BEWARE....just as you leave Murrumbateman (just past the
bus stop) heading to Yass, there is a very, very angry magpie. I was hit today and it drew blood.
Had about another eight passes at me as well and would NOT be dissuaded by either bad language or
waving of the bike pump!

Other than that it was a great ride!!

Cheers, Rob

hmm, Magpie Pie as a _special dish for Xmas roast?

BTW, RE: old thread about vicious head bashing bamboo down on the Yarra bike path. Several bits of it are now being put to good use in a nearby veggie patch as bean stakes.

Hey Richard, would you like some blue lake beans in a month or so, as compensation for your injuries? cheers;)

Oh no Bob, you don't know what you've done!

Now there will be a thousand replies on strategies to combat swooping magpies.

My favorite would be to wear a Brisbane Lions outfit. We now have proof that magpies are gutless in the presence of blue and maroon.;)

Go Lions:)

your damn right it's aggressive - it started swooping just as i was exiting the service station, continued as a crossed the road to the public toilet, waited for me to exit the public toilet, and continued swooping for about 1km north of Murrumbateman. the worst magpie incident i've experienced and given it occurred on a relatively busy highway it was quite dangerous.

Ouch! I guess that, like me, you'll be avoiding it for a few weeks.

I've been riding all over Canberra lately (I LOVE holidays) and haven't been bothered anywhere else
- not that I'd really expect to be at this time of year.

Cheers, Rob