Canberra Fires - Australia

Watimena

Guest
Well,

The fires are still burning, and I am sad to report the pine plantations on Mt Stromlo and
Greenhills is completely burnt out. The scene of four MONT 24 hr moutain bike races is
completely F&*^ed.

The observatory on top of Mt Stromlo was also gutted. The visitors centre is still there, so
Roadies will still be able to get a flat white or a latte at the top of the hill, but all of the
MTB tracks are lost.

Haven't heard the word on Blue Range, where the Nationals XC and DH courses are (the roads are still
closed), but I am assuming the worst.

I feel more sorry for the people that lost their homes (more than 500 houses gone).

The only place left within riding distance of town is Majura Pines.

*sniff*.

Jeremy

You can still ride burnt out trails but have to be very careful of falling limbs and trees. The CFA
and Park Management had said all winter due to lack of rain we were going to have some of the worst
fires but of course the federal government was way too preoccupied with having Iraq burnt to the
ground to worry about there own back yard. Pity their parliament building didn't burn down I say.

I tried the tracks through green hills last year after they were burnt out.

I was pretty dodgy, plenty of burnt out stumps, and falling trees. They they bulldozed and wood
chipped what was left.

news:[email protected]...