Canberra Ride of Silence

Bean Long

Guest
A RoS ride is being organised for Canberra on the 24th. Those interested
read on:

2008 CANBERRA RIDE OF SILENCE: 24th May

2008 Canberra Ride of Silence

www.rideofsilence.org

Saturday May 24th

The Ride of Silence is held yearly in cities across the world. For the
first time in Canberra, join other cyclists in a silent ride at a slow
pace to promote safer roads for all road users.

The 2008 Canberra Ride of Silence aims to:

* remember those killed or injured whilst cycling on roads.
* raise awareness of the need for all road users to respect one
another and to use roads in a considerate manner.
* promote the importance for cyclists and motorists to obey the
road rules.
* remind the community that cyclists are ordinary people who have a
right to safety on our roads.

Where: Start and finish at Regatta Place, north of Commonwealth Avenue
bridge.

When: Arrive at 9am for a 9.30 start.

The ride: Approx. 6 km in length at a slow pace (max 20 km/h) in a loop
that includes part of the Parliamentary Triangle. The Ride of Silence
will take place on open roads and participants will be expected to ride
safely and considerately and obey all traffic laws.

Those that take part in the Ride of Silence must be aware that they do
so at their own risk. All welcome; all you need is a bike and a helmet.
Riders are encouraged to wear armbands: black for everyone, or red for
those who have been injured by motorists.

The 2008 Canberra Ride of Silence is endorsed by Pedal Power ACT,
Females in Training and ACT Veterans Cycling Club.

Bean Long wrote:
> More info, including a flyer you can print-out and distribute can be
> found at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6k5z5z
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bean

Many thanks to all who showed for what was an awesome turnout this
morning. Approx. 230 riders came along for the memorial ride, along with
4 or 5 politicians, an Amy Gillet Foundation representative and an ex V8
Supercar driver to support road sharing in Canberra. A fantastically
organised event. Special thanks to Lyndsey Vivian, Simon Dwyer, Natasha
Mitchell, Leon Horsnell, Sue Powell and a handful of other helpers. Look
for more details in the local media who were also in attendance.

Bean

Canberra RoS got the final feel good story on the ABC news and was
front page of the Canberra Times yesterday:
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ne...nt-riders-remember-fallen-friends/776332.aspx

One of the positives from the day was that we had really positive
messages about sharing the roads from the ACT's three main political
parties, Libs, Labor and Greens.

Also, for those interested last Sunday the "war on the roads" was the
Canberra Times special issue. Despite the unfortunate headlines, the
content is not that bad:
http://vikingscycling.org.au/cms/uploads/news/sunct.jpg

On May 26, 8:38 am, Simon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Canberra RoS got the final feel good story on the ABC news and was
> front page of the Canberra Times yesterday:http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/silent-rider...
>
> One of the positives from the day was that we had really positive
> messages about sharing the roads from the ACT's three main political
> parties, Libs, Labor and Greens.
>
> Also, for those interested last Sunday the "war on the roads" was the
> Canberra Times special issue. Despite the unfortunate headlines, the
> content is not that bad:http://vikingscycling.org.au/cms/uploads/news/sunct.jpg

Great job Lyndsey, Simon and all.

Here's a bit of coverage from the day hosted at CSN - http://www.cyclesportnews.com

Greg

Greg Long wrote:
> On May 26, 8:38 am, Simon <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Canberra RoS got the final feel good story on the ABC news and was
>> front page of the Canberra Times yesterday:http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/silent-rider...
>>
>> One of the positives from the day was that we had really positive
>> messages about sharing the roads from the ACT's three main political
>> parties, Libs, Labor and Greens.
>>
>> Also, for those interested last Sunday the "war on the roads" was the
>> Canberra Times special issue. Despite the unfortunate headlines, the
>> content is not that bad:http://vikingscycling.org.au/cms/uploads/news/sunct.jpg

> Great job Lyndsey, Simon and all.
>
> Here's a bit of coverage from the day hosted at CSN - http://www.cyclesportnews.com
>
> Greg

Thanks once again Greg. This is an awesome article. Well selected pics!