Cancellara on sale

Andrija

Feb 16, 2005
Cancellara On Sale For ‚3 Million? | Cyclingnews.com

Over that 3 million goes his salary. Too much, I'd say.
Riis has set the price in order to keep him in the team.
It's interesting how biggest stars of Saxo want to leave the team. There aren't much of team's top riders who've expressed excitement about riding in new squad.
After Schlecks, I think Riis has been little hurt. I'm sure he feels he's responsible for development of Saxo's stars so far (which isn't untrue), so he wants some credit. Especially in Cancellara's case.

Given the stature of his wins 3 million euro is pretty fair - anyone who can win the biggest classics and a stage win, wear the yellow jersey at the Tour etc etc with some regularity is worth that kind of money.

In other sports 3 mil gets an f1 team a few days in a wind tunnel and an upgrade to their computational fluid dynamics software or in football (soccer) that money will get you an average defender...

No team will touch Cancellara for that amount of money.

This is cycling, not football.

swampy1970 said:
Given the stature of his wins 3 million euro is pretty fair - anyone who can win the biggest classics and a stage win, wear the yellow jersey at the Tour etc etc with some regularity is worth that kind of money.

In other sports 3 mil gets an f1 team a few days in a wind tunnel and an upgrade to their computational fluid dynamics software or in football (soccer) that money will get you an average defender...
In cycling, 3 million + Cancellara's salary is Footon Servetto.
As I wrote, it looks like Riis' strategy more than realistic compensation. Realistic in terms of cycling budgets, not in terms of Cancellara's results.
If you ask me, I'd pay him at least as an average midfielder in La Liga, Serie A or Premier League. But sport market is saying different.

What if someone decides to pay off Cancellara's contract and gives him salary of (at least) million euros per year? It's hard to imagine (even Cancellara says it's ridiculous), but that would rise budgets in general. Maybe not immediately, but during couple of years, riders and their managers will have argument to ask for higher contracts. Paying millions for multiple TDF winners and potential winners became normal, but for riders who aren't in spotlight of widest audience, it's another thing.
With Cancellara is little different, I have to admit. He's brand for himself. But if someone pays his contract off, that would open the door to some serious money in future. The problem is - cycling already has difficulties with sponsors, but if they manage to keep public interest in coming years and keep American market interested in sport, sponsors will arrive.
Great thing about last two editions of the Tour is that less interested audience could see new (hopefully long term) rivalry, not Armstrong's one man show. They could see beauty of cycling competition independent of marketing exploitation of Armstrong, especially this year. I can just hope they'll stay interested in cycling no matter if their idol is there.

Andrija said:
In cycling, 3 million + Cancellara's salary is Footon Servetto.

How many big races did they win this year and how many days in yellow did their riders have...
... Besides, dont they have that embarrassingly bad team strip? I'm guessing they ran out of budget and had to use colour blind 2 year olds to design them.

swampy1970 said:
How many big races did they win this year and how many days in yellow did their riders have...
... Besides, dont they have that embarrassingly bad team strip? I'm guessing they ran out of budget and had to use colour blind 2 year olds to design them.
Footon Servetto was the first team I've remembered (see, their kit leaves impression). I'm sure there are other teams with lowest demanded budget (bbox or fdj), which is around Cancellara's pay off + salary.
The point is - it's absurd to pay a single rider as much as whole team (and the team was present in all GTs). Even Cancellara said it's ridiculous.

Couldn't Canc just walk away from his contract like Wiggins did when he went to Sky? Or have I missed something?

jamie72 said:
Couldn't Canc just walk away from his contract like Wiggins did when he went to Sky? Or have I missed something?

sky's lawyers threatened garmin with a lawsuit based on english/u.k. labour laws to lever wiggo from vaughters, if i remember the article correctly. f.c. could pull the same if swiss labour laws supported his action and riis thought better of spending his resources contesting the lawsuit, i imagine.

Andrija said:
Cancellara On Sale For ‚3 Million? | Cyclingnews.com

Over that 3 million goes his salary. Too much, I'd say.
Riis has set the price in order to keep him in the team.
It's interesting how biggest stars of Saxo want to leave the team. There aren't much of team's top riders who've expressed excitement about riding in new squad.
After Schlecks, I think Riis has been little hurt. I'm sure he feels he's responsible for development of Saxo's stars so far (which isn't untrue), so he wants some credit. Especially in Cancellara's case.

3 Million is still a lot of money in cycling (and the real world) but then Cancellara is undoubtably one of the best riders in the world. It terms of making money via sponsership deals etc. winning the high profiles classics and Time trials in all the biggest races has to make Cancellara one of the most valuable riders in that respect as well.
Bjarne Riis must be worried, a few years ago his team was built around Sastre, when he left he had the Schlecks to take over but now they're leaving, there is no obvious Grand Tour winner. They have Jacob Fuselgang and Richie Porte who have great potential but Cancellara's almost guranteed victories would surely become vital to their sponser and success over the next season or 2

Mattcreed said:
3 Million is still a lot of money in cycling (and the real world) but then Cancellara is undoubtably one of the best riders in the world. It terms of making money via sponsership deals etc. winning the high profiles classics and Time trials in all the biggest races has to make Cancellara one of the most valuable riders in that respect as well.
Bjarne Riis must be worried, a few years ago his team was built around Sastre, when he left he had the Schlecks to take over but now they're leaving, there is no obvious Grand Tour winner. They have Jacob Fuselgang and Richie Porte who have great potential but Cancellara's almost guranteed victories would surely become vital to their sponser and success over the next season or 2
You're kidding me, right?

You've missed Cntador's signing.

Talking about comparable salaries : Luis Leon Sanchez is probably one say €1m tops at Caisse.
His brother plays for Real Madrid, I wonder what his slary his per year?

Which of them has to work harder for their money?