Candies/Egg beaters for road bike?

Pete D.

Guest
There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?

I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on my
Trek Pilot.

Pete

Pete D. wrote:
> There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?
>
> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
> it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
> not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on my
> Trek Pilot.
>
> Pete

I don't ride in groups either. But I wouldn't think twice about riding
with my Candies. They are really good all round pedals. But if you must
get a "road" pedal, get the egg beaters. I like the candies for the
little platform for the fact that you can push on them a bit more while
not clipped in, like when starting.

Ken

Pete D. <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?

I use SPDs, though some of my friends use Candys, Eggbeaters, or other pedals.

> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
> it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
> not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on my
> Trek Pilot.

You might. Who cares though? Actually, thinking about it, I think the
only person who might get an odd look is anyone showing up at our rides
with Look pedals. Mainly because we occasionally will stop somewhere
and hang around a while. Noone wants to have to duck walk more than
they have to.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Hark, the Herald Tribune sings,

On Jun 20, 5:51 pm, "Pete D." <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?
>
> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
> it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
> not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on my

I've been riding spd mtb pedals on my road bikes for years. Totally
non-fussy. I grease the bushing once per year, and give em a spritz of
lube if they get noisy. I like the cheap Wellgo 801s--but the Candy
look pretty nice as well. I have 30mm tires on my fixed gear and on
nice days like this afternoon, I take it on access roads and go berry
picking. I wouldn't want to take Look cleats out in the woods.

Lots of roadie stuff is pointless if you don't race--especially the
trend to have handlebars 8" below the saddle and 20mm tires on the
bike path.

Just ride and get fast. People laugh at you less when you're passing
them.

> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so,
> does it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would
> rather not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain
> pedals on my Trek Pilot.
>
> Pete

Aren't you a little old to worry about peer pressure?

Pat in TX

"Pete D." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so,
> does it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would
> rather not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain
> pedals on my Trek Pilot.

As long as you can keep up and ride safely, no one in a group is going to
care what what pedals you are using. Besides you are riding a Trek Pilot,
not a real racing bike. I bet you have a triple crankset, too. Those will
give you weirder looks than Eggbeater pedals. The Egg pedals are definately
less dorky than the Candies.

On Jun 20, 7:39 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just ride and get fast. People laugh at you less when you're passing
> them.

Amen to that. A couple of days ago I got passed by a guy running clips-
and-straps. I don't know if he laughed at me or not as I sat there
perched on my road machine all nicely clipped into my cheapie MTB
SPDs. He might have, but it was kind of hard to tell since he went by
so fast.

To the OP: If you do get into group rides-- and you should at least
try it-- I think you'll find that the saying "it takes all kinds" will
be most apropos. (And, I mean that in a good way).

I use candies on my MTN and cyclocross bikes. Work fine good float.
I have Looks on my racing bike because they are the best for road.
On Jun 20, 6:51 pm, "Pete D." <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?
>
> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
> it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
> not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on my
> Trek Pilot.
>
> Pete

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so,
>> does it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would
>> rather not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain
>> pedals on my Trek Pilot.
>>
>> Pete

> Aren't you a little old to worry about peer pressure?
>
> Pat in TX

Hey, how'd you know I'm getting to be an old geezer?
Just cause I'm almost 51 and about 40 lbs overweight doesn't mean I wanna
look like an idiot on the bike - heck, I do that enough when I'm off it.
:)

Pete

"Pete D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?
>
> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so,
> does it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would
> rather not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain
> pedals on my Trek Pilot.
>
> Pete

Thanks to everyone for offering their advice. I really appreciate it. :)
Not sure what I'll end up with, but at least I know not to give too much
importance to whether their 'road' or 'atb' in the sale catalogues.

Pete

"sally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pete D." <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so,
>> does it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would
>> rather not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain
>> pedals on my Trek Pilot.

> As long as you can keep up and ride safely, no one in a group is going to
> care what what pedals you are using. Besides you are riding a Trek Pilot,
> not a real racing bike. I bet you have a triple crankset, too. Those
> will
> give you weirder looks than Eggbeater pedals. The Egg pedals are
> definately
> less dorky than the Candies.

Did I say anything about racing? I don't race and have absolutley no
desire for competition. And triple crank?? Hell Yeah! I test drove
"real" racing bikes, hybrids, and fitness bikes all last summer. And then
went and bought exactly what I was looking for. My Pilot is the s.p.a model
which means I even have a rubber shock in the rear seat stays to cushion my
non-racing butt. It's fast, has pretty good components on it, carbon fork,
seat stays, seat post, and most of all, comfortable.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>,
Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pete D. wrote:
> > There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> > stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?
> >
> > I was about to buy the Candies, but then saw they're ATB pedals... so, does
> > it matter? I don't ride in groups, but hope to someday, and would rather
> > not get weird looks from people asking if I knew I put mountain pedals on
> > my
> > Trek Pilot.
> >
> > Pete
> >

> I don't ride in groups either. But I wouldn't think twice about riding
> with my Candies. They are really good all round pedals. But if you must
> get a "road" pedal, get the egg beaters. I like the candies for the
> little platform for the fact that you can push on them a bit more while
> not clipped in, like when starting.
>
> Ken

I ride in groups, wear my racing club's colours, and even show up for
races (where, of late, I've been doing badly).

Right now I'm using Egg Beaters, mainly because the road bike with
Candys on it is out of service.

Nobody will care. If they do, gently point out that a few years ago,
Freddy Rodriguez was winning sprints (sprints!) while riding Egg Beaters.

I suppose he uses Quattros now, which are the designated Crank Bros road
pedal.

Before that, I raced (and occasionally won!) in SPDs, and flirted with
Looks and Look clones. Not much to choose among any of those pedals, and
I'm pretty sure the difference largely comes down to shoe stiffness.

When I get around to it, I'll probably buy a set of Quattros. They're
nice pedals, and claim a nice narrow tread and a big stable platform. I
also want to buy a set of the three-bolt "road" cleats, which will make
my sole set of three-bolt "road" shoes both usable and somewhat walkable.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:54:32 GMT, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Before that, I raced (and occasionally won!) in SPDs, and flirted with
> Looks and Look clones. Not much to choose among any of those pedals, and
> I'm pretty sure the difference largely comes down to shoe stiffness.

I eventually changed from SPD to SPD-SL, and where I really noticed the
difference was standing - the wider contact area feels more stable, so I
suppose my feet are flexing sideways a bit. But for JRA, there's nothing in
it for the same shoe stiffness.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:28:48 -0700, Dane Buson wrote:

> You might. Who cares though? Actually, thinking about it, I think the
> only person who might get an odd look is anyone showing up at our rides
> with Look pedals. Mainly because we occasionally will stop somewhere
> and hang around a while. Noone wants to have to duck walk more than
> they have to.

Nearly everyone I know with Look pedals uses cleat covers, and so do many
SPD-SL users, like me. You can walk on them without slipping, or with much
of the duck effect :)

On Jun 22, 12:54 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Pete D. wrote:
> > > There's a post below that talks about Candy pedals from Crank Bro... so,
> > > stupid Q: Do you use Candy (or even Eggbeaters) on your road bike?

I have Eggbeaters on my MTB and singlespeed/fixie, Quattros on my
roadbike, and Candies on my tourer. My son has Eggbeaters on his
roadbike. The Quattros are new and I'm not convinced they are any
better than the Eggbeaters, which I find work well on all bike types.
The Candies offer me no benefit over an Eggbeater, as I always ride
with cleats and none of the pedals give me a hot foot, so I don't
require the platform. I haven't seen any other Crank Bros pedals in my
riding groups, but no one has shunned me yet, let along commented on
them, i.e. no one cares.

Donga

>> Aren't you a little old to worry about peer pressure?
>>
>> Pat in TX

> Hey, how'd you know I'm getting to be an old geezer?
> Just cause I'm almost 51 and about 40 lbs overweight doesn't mean I wanna
> look like an idiot on the bike - heck, I do that enough when I'm off it.
> :)
>
> Pete

I just knew you had to be older than 13. Did you read the post I wrote about
seeing a local guy riding in a kilt? He's damned sure not worried about what
other people will think.

No, it isn't me.

Pat in TX

> The Quattros are new and I'm not convinced they are any
>better than the Eggbeaters, which I find work well on all bike types.

If you care, quattros have a narrower Q-Factor than standard
Eggbeaters. ( ie. a shorter axle ). Between that and the new
sideways adjustable cleat, you can get your feet closer together
if you want. This can cause problems when using them with some
MTB shoes as the big bearing can interfere with the tread, but
it's nothing a dremel can't fix.

_ Booker C. Bense

I use Eggbeaters on my MTB and for a few years I used Candies on my road bike (with road shoes and their 3-hole cleat). Then I switched to Looks on the road bike and I have to say the difference was significant. The effective platform is much larger, the float is much smoother, and the whole experience is better. It felt like a major upgrade.

I didn't have hot spots per se with the Candies, but after 30 miles or so on the road, I would be aware of my feet, whereas with the Looks I don't need to think about them at all. The Candies appear to have a useful platform, but when I was digging up a hill and trying to use the big muscles, the small clip-in area and the higher platform (because of the road cleat, or because of the MTB shoe tread) gave me a definite sensation of having to pull the pedal down with my shoe rather than with my leg muscles. With the Looks (or I would think with any real road pedal) I feel engaged with the bike without an awareness of the shoe or the pedal.

Crank Bros makes great MTB pedals but for road cycling I recommend a real road pedal.