Candy Cigerettes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mary, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Mary

    Mary Guest

    I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.

    I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising that
    such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the bright
    side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them elsewhere,and
    the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you
    complain to?

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. mary wrote:
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. I am sure they are not
    > illegal, but who would you complain to?
    >
    > Tom

    If they are not illegal, there is really no one to complain to. You can express your feelings about
    them to the store owner but that is about all. The store and the maker can continue if they so
    desire. Ed [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    mary wrote:
    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?

    Around here they now market candy cigarettes as "dinosaur bones". Same box, different printing. The
    candy is still the same white stick with pink dye at one end, although presumably this now
    represents blood or bone marrow instead of a glowing ember.

    Kathleen

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    mary wrote:
    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?
    >
    > Tom

    I wouldn't complain at all! I found those things last week on a retro candy site and everyone was
    laughing about those and bubble-gum cigars and such. Believe me, candy cigarettes do not promote
    smoking. If candy/toys promoted such things, we'd all be packing Uzi's a la GI Joe or permanently
    decked out for the prom like Barbie.

    Jill

  5. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    mary wrote:

    > I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you complain to?

    That's the problem, isn't it? All these damn sinners doing whatever they want to do, and it
    ain't illegal!

    If you really want to get rid of the cigarettes, a one-person picket of the place during their
    busiest hour will probably shame them into changing. Call the news media and let them know when you
    plan to be there.

  6. mary wrote:
    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?

    Are you saying you'd prefer the kids got real cigarettes? Candy ones seem like good
    alternative to me.

    --Lia

  7. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?
    >
    > Tom

    No one!

    It seems like some people (Tom) have nothing better to do with their lives than complain.

    Don't your local grade schools have Soda Machines? complain about that.

    Do they still play "Dodge Ball" at some schools where you live? Complain about that because it makes
    the fat kid feel inferior.

    What about McDonald's and Hardee's? They specifically target children. Go complain about that too,
    Tom. They're making our nation fat!

    There's so many stupid things in this world for you to complain about, Tom. Leave the candy
    cigarettes alone.

  8. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected].net> wrote

    > > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    > >
    > > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe
    > > the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > > who would you complain to?
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > I wouldn't complain at all! I found those things last week on a retro
    candy
    > site and everyone was laughing about those and bubble-gum cigars and such. Believe me, candy
    > cigarettes do not promote smoking. If candy/toys
    promoted
    > such things, we'd all be packing Uzi's a la GI Joe or permanently decked
    out
    > for the prom like Barbie.
    >
    > Jill

    I had candy and chocoloate cigarettes when I was little and I don't smoke. Never have, never will. I
    have a friend who never had candy cigarettes, but he's been smoking like a chimney since his pre-
    teen years.

    I had tons of Princess Leia toys growing up...I am not running around in white dresses with my hair
    done up like cinnamon buns. I honestly don't think the candy cigarettes have too much influence.
    But, if you don't approve of them, don't buy them for the children in your life (if you them).

    Speaking of candy cigarettes, I think the chocolate ones (I didn't like the other type) were from a
    local Fannie Farmer shop. I used to love their products,

    Paula

  9. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    PaulaGarlic wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>> I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >>>
    >>> I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    >>> that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled.
    >>
    >> packing Uzi's a la GI Joe or permanently decked out for the prom like Barbie.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >
    > I had candy and chocoloate cigarettes when I was little and I don't smoke. Never have, never will.
    > I have a friend who never had candy cigarettes, but he's been smoking like a chimney since his pre-
    > teen years.
    >
    > I had tons of Princess Leia toys growing up...I am not running around in white dresses with my
    > hair done up like cinnamon buns.

    Thank goodness for that! <G> And whose idea of a hairstyle was THAT, anyway?! Heheh.

    Jill

  10. You must be kidding me! They have been sold for as long as I can rmember, 25 years back or so. We
    used to buy them from the ice cream man or the tiendita when I was a kid. They used to sell these
    paper wrapped bubble gum "cigarettes" that had powdered sugar in them, so when you blew into them
    before opening the paper, you were "smoking" *laughs* memories...

    --
    Paula Drennan

    May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. "mary" <[email protected]>
    : I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    :
    : I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    : that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it
    : the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar
    : store, because nobody would buy them
    elsewhere,and
    : the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you
    : complain to?
    :
    : Tom
    :
    :

  11. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it
    > the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar
    > store, because nobody would buy them
    elsewhere,and
    > the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you
    > complain to?
    >
    > Tom

    Complain about what specifically?? What is there to complain about? The idea that candy cigarettes
    promotes smoking is absurd, and you'd have to be foolish to believe it. I had candy cigarettes as a
    child, and chocolate cigars too. I do not smoke, and have never smoked. REAL cigarettes are just
    disgusting. They are not sweet, not chocolate...they do stink, taste awful, etc. There's no
    comparison.

    kimberly

  12. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "PaulaGarlic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    > > >
    > > > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather
    > > > surprising that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just
    > > > smiled. Maybe the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody
    > > > would buy them elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are
    > > > not illegal, but who would you complain to?
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > >
    > > I wouldn't complain at all! I found those things last week on a retro
    > candy
    > > site and everyone was laughing about those and bubble-gum cigars and
    such.
    > > Believe me, candy cigarettes do not promote smoking. If candy/toys
    > promoted
    > > such things, we'd all be packing Uzi's a la GI Joe or permanently decked
    > out
    > > for the prom like Barbie.
    > >
    > > Jill
    >
    > I had candy and chocoloate cigarettes when I was little and I don't
    smoke.
    > Never have, never will. I have a friend who never had candy cigarettes,
    but
    > he's been smoking like a chimney since his pre-teen years.
    >
    > I had tons of Princess Leia toys growing up...I am not running around in white dresses with my
    > hair done up like cinnamon buns. I honestly don't think the candy cigarettes have too much
    > influence. But, if you don't approve of them, don't buy them for the children in your life (if you
    them).

    > Speaking of candy cigarettes, I think the chocolate ones (I didn't like
    the
    > other type) were from a local Fannie Farmer shop. I used to love their products,
    >
    > Paula

    Wow, I haven't thought about Fanny Farmer in a long while! My mom used to get those fruit slices
    there...yummy.

    kimberly...thanking you for the memory.

  13. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you complain to?

    The Democrat National Committee.

  14. Thecatintx

    Thecatintx Guest

    Re: Fanny Farmer I thought they had the best butterscotch lollipops in the world. My husband loved
    their pecan turtles.

  15. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > Wow, I haven't thought about Fanny Farmer in a long while! My mom used to get those fruit slices
    > there...yummy.

    I love those fruit slices, I guess it's a hangover from my childhood when my elderly aunt would
    buy them for me. They aren't so easy to find anymore, and when you do, it's usually an assortment
    that includes flavors I don't care for. I just want lemon, lime, orange, like that. I should
    search online.

    nancy

  16. stan

    stan Guest

    mary <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.

    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?

    Probably the FDA would be the proper organization to direct such complaints. As for old-time
    favorites, there are still quite a few old time candies available such as Charleston Chews, those
    wax lips, those little wax bottles of intensely sweet juice in them, candy dots on the paper strips,
    Bitto-Honey, and so on. Check out http://www.hometownfavorites.com to see what else is available in
    the way of candy.

  17. "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >
    > I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    > that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    > bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    > elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    > who would you complain to?
    >
    > Tom

    Well, Tom/Mary, what's exactly to complain about? They're CANDY!

  18. Coastwatcher

    Coastwatcher Guest

    Robert wrote:
    > "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >>
    >>I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    >>that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
    >>bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    >>elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    >>who would you complain to?
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    > No one!
    >
    > It seems like some people (Tom) have nothing better to do with their lives than complain.
    >
    > Don't your local grade schools have Soda Machines? complain about that.
    >
    > Do they still play "Dodge Ball" at some schools where you live? Complain about that because it
    > makes the fat kid feel inferior.
    >
    > What about McDonald's and Hardee's? They specifically target children. Go complain about that too,
    > Tom. They're making our nation fat!
    >
    > There's so many stupid things in this world for you to complain about, Tom. Leave the candy
    > cigarettes alone.

    ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY AGREE!! SHEESH!!

  19. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"mary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
    >>
    >> I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
    >> that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe
    >> the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
    >> elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
    >> who would you complain to?
    >>
    >> Tom

    While you're at don't forget to rail against the licorice pipes.

  20. I love the taste of candy cigarrettes but can,t find them in the Fort Myers ,Fl. area. So every year
    when I return to Pa. to visit family I go to the Quakertown Q-Mart and stock up. They have a great
    candy store there and even sell them in a carton. The kids also send them at Christmas. They are harmless--
    don,t cause smoking. GET A LIFE kathy in Fl.

    all my love ,grandmom D.