Candy Cigerettes

Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
> mary wrote:
>> I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
>>
>> I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
>> that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe
>> the bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
>> elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
>> who would you complain to?

> Are you saying you'd prefer the kids got real cigarettes? Candy ones seem like good
> alternative to me.

There is no good alternative to cigarettes for kids; however, for kids who consider candy cigarettes
to be just another type of candy, the candy cigarettes are not taken as an alternative to
cigarettes, but as another type of candy to enjoy.

PaulaGarlic <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had candy and chocoloate cigarettes when I was little and I don't smoke. Never have, never will.
> I have a friend who never had candy cigarettes, but he's been smoking like a chimney since his pre-
> teen years.

Like you, I used to eat those candy cigarettes when I was a kid, which was in the 60's and 70's. In
my neighborhood, there was a candy store less than one block away from where I lived. They had all
those candies that are now considered retro. Despite eating those candy cigarettes, I never touched
a cigarette in my life. The smell from other people smoking always disgusted me and since I have a
real stuburn streak, I was not taken in by peer pressure.

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> I love those fruit slices, I guess it's a hangover from my childhood when my elderly aunt would
> buy them for me. They aren't so easy to find anymore, and when you do, it's usually an assortment
> that includes flavors I don't care for. I just want lemon, lime, orange, like that. I should
> search online.

Nancy, there's a restaurant near Wildwood, NJ called Menz's. The restaurant is a few miles west of
Wildwood on Route 47 in Rio Grande. The lobby at Menz's is full of retro candies. Their candy
selection is always hit or miss, but they sometimes sell those candy fruit slices individually so
people can pick just the flavors they prefer. Next time you visit that area, stop by Menz's and see
if they have your favorite flavors of candy fruit slices.

mary wrote:

> I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
>
> I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
> that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
> bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
> elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but
> who would you complain to?

Complain about _what_?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
"What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?" "Die for oil

[email protected] wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I love those fruit slices, I guess it's a hangover from my childhood when my elderly aunt would
> > buy them for me. They aren't so easy to find anymore, and when you do, it's usually an
> > assortment that includes flavors I don't care for. I just want lemon, lime, orange, like that. I
> > should search online.
>
> Nancy, there's a restaurant near Wildwood, NJ called Menz's. The restaurant is a few miles west of
> Wildwood on Route 47 in Rio Grande. The lobby at Menz's is full of retro candies. Their candy
> selection is always hit or miss, but they sometimes sell those candy fruit slices individually so
> people can pick just the flavors they prefer. Next time you visit that area, stop by Menz's and
> see if they have your favorite flavors of candy fruit slices.

Hey, thanks, Stan, I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like fun.

nancy

I doubt they are illegal where you live. It has been proven though that candy cigarettes
"normalise" the idea of smoking to children and therefore it's not wise to give them to your
child. However, I also think that good education from parents school etc.or peer pressure (either
positive or negative) probably weigh heavier then a candy cigarette in the choice of a child
whether or not to smoke.

M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
> > mary wrote:
> >> I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
> >>
> >> I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale.
It
> >> was rather surprising that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned
it to
> >> the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the bright side is that they
are
> >> being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
elsewhere,and
> >> the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but who would you
> >> complain to?
>
> > Are you saying you'd prefer the kids got real cigarettes? Candy ones seem like good alternative
> > to me.
>
> There is no good alternative to cigarettes for kids; however, for kids who consider candy
> cigarettes to be just another type of candy, the candy cigarettes are not taken as an alternative
> to cigarettes, but as another type of candy to enjoy.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:47:55 +0100, "melnic"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It has been proven though that candy cigarettes "normalise" the idea of smoking to children and
>therefore it's not wise to give them to your child.

Cite, please? I really don't think most kids intellectualize it that much; when you're a kid, candy
is just candy. I loved candy cigarettes as a kid (it was a texture thing) and lived with parents who
smoked to boot. I grew up to be a non-smoker. The smell alone was enough to put me off; I never felt
the slightest inclination to try cigarettes, unless you count the hand-rolled, tobacco-free kind I
indulged in on occasion when I was in college. :p

Regards, Tracy R.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:40:04 GMT, "Paula Drennan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You must be kidding me! They have been sold for as long as I can rmember, 25 years back or so. We
>used to buy them from the ice cream man or the tiendita when I was a kid. They used to sell these
>paper wrapped bubble gum "cigarettes" that had powdered sugar in them, so when you blew into them
>before opening the paper, you were "smoking" *laughs* memories...

You MUST be my age. I totally remember doing that.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:20:35 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Complain about what specifically?? What is there to complain about? The idea that candy cigarettes
>promotes smoking is absurd, and you'd have to be foolish to believe it. I had candy cigarettes as a
>child, and chocolate cigars too. I do not smoke, and have never smoked. REAL cigarettes are just
>disgusting. They are not sweet, not chocolate...they do stink, taste awful, etc. There's no
>comparison.
>
>kimberly

So true. I'll also add in (like many others in this thread) that I bought candy, gum and chocolate
cigarettes when I was a child, and I *GASP* bought chocolate cigars when my boy was born. Yet I have
never touched a cigarette. Heck, I never touched the "hand-rolled non-tobacco" kind either.

This whole thread had made me think. If some people REALLY do think candy cigarettes promote
smoking...

Then video games like "Grand Theft Auto" must promote boys to commit a felony and 'Bratz' dolls must
promote girls becoming ghetto-****-ho's, but you still see the parents buying them for their pre-
teen children.

In article <oNWQb.297418$_x2.654191@zonnet-reader-1>,
"melnic" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I doubt they are illegal where you live. It has been proven though that candy cigarettes
> "normalise" the idea of smoking to children and therefore it's not wise to give them to
> your child.

Cite?

Hells, I had smoking "normalised" to me by the fact that both my parents were pack-a-day or
more smokers.

Never touched a cigarette myself.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

mary saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:18:50 -0500:

>I hope this is not the wrong place to post the comment below.
>
>I was at a dollar store today, and they had candy cigerettes for sale. It was rather surprising
>that such an item is still for sale. I mentioned it to the cashier, and she just smiled. Maybe the
>bright side is that they are being sold at the dollar store, because nobody would buy them
>elsewhere,and the supplier is cleaning out their inventory. I am sure they are not illegal, but who
>would you complain to?

It's not illegal. They still sell them here too... when I was a kid they used to be sold in
little blue boxes with 'fags' printed on them. At some point they decided this wasn't politically
correct so what did they do? They changed the last letter - same box, same colour, but they're
now 'Fads' intead.

Candy cigarettes won't make kids want real ones, unless they find a way to put nicotine into the
recipe! lol

"melnic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I doubt they are illegal where you live. It has been proven though that candy cigarettes
> "normalise" the idea of smoking to children and
therefore
> it's not wise to give them to your child. However, I also think that good education from parents
> school etc.or peer pressure (either positive or negative) probably weigh heavier then a candy
> cigarette in the choice of a child whether or not to smoke.

I'd be very curious to see this "proof"....do you have a link of some sort? There's a study that
"proves" just about anything you want to prove, and it's extremely unlikely that any child, much
less one with even a minimal level of intelligence, would go from candy cigarettes to the real
thing. As I said before, there's no comparison.

kimberly

[email protected] (Kathleen Dughman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love the taste of candy cigarrettes but can,t find them in the Fort Myers ,Fl. area. So every
> year when I return to Pa. to visit family I go to the Quakertown Q-Mart and stock up. They have a
> great candy store there and even sell them in a carton. The kids also send them at Christmas. They
> are harmless--don,t cause smoking. GET A LIFE kathy in Fl.
>
> all my love ,grandmom D.
Kathleen, I know this isn't the right forum for this response, but I couldn't resist. I lived in
Quakertown for over 15 yrs., Bucks County for 41yrs before moving to the Outer Banks NC. The Q-Mart
was the greatest place for so many things. Butchers, Bakers etc. I miss a lot of what Quakertown has
to offer.( Not the weather though!!) Where did you or where does your family in Quakertown live? We
still have many friends and family in the area. It has changed greatly in the last 6 yrs. We were
just there over New Years. I'd love to hear from you! Gina Lee

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:54:45 -0800, Denise~*
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Then video games like "Grand Theft Auto" must promote boys to commit a felony and 'Bratz' dolls
>must promote girls becoming ghetto-****-ho's, but you still see the parents buying them for their
>pre-teen children.
>

>Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

well, hopefully *some* of them will turn out to be ghetto-****-ho's.

your pal, blake

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:28:01 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <oNWQb.297418$_x2.654191@zonnet-reader-1>, "melnic" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I doubt they are illegal where you live. It has been proven though that candy cigarettes
>> "normalise" the idea of smoking to children and therefore it's not wise to give them to
>> your child.
>
>Cite?
>
>Hells, I had smoking "normalised" to me by the fact that both my parents were pack-a-day or
>more smokers.
>
>Never touched a cigarette myself.
>
>Miche

well, as for me, i never smoke unless i'm awake.

your pal, blake