Cane Creek Hubs



kopride

Member
May 17, 2006
1,012
10
38
Just had a cane creek rear hub with less than 500 miles on it freeze up. Bearings were literally frozen, and I felt no advance issue before the bike was literally immovable. Has anybody else ever had any problems with these wheelsets? :mad:

My LBS will stand behind the product but still a real bumber to get stranded on a long ride due to an unfixable problem on the road. Hopefully, it is an isolated problem that won't reoccur. I am doing a 150m charity ride this weekend and won't be pleased if it happens again. LBS initially spec'd them instead of Ultegra hubs as "comprable". Should I insist on Ultegras?:confused:
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
52
I would insist on the ultegras. Who the heck makes Cane Creek's hubs? :confused:

When in doubt, go for Shimano or Campagnolo hubs. Both companies make bulletproof, high quality hubs that will far outlast your bike!
 

kopride

Member
May 17, 2006
1,012
10
38
Powerful Pete said:
I would insist on the ultegras. Who the heck makes Cane Creek's hubs? :confused:

When in doubt, go for Shimano or Campagnolo hubs. Both companies make bulletproof, high quality hubs that will far outlast your bike!
I hear you. I still have the original Ultegra hubs on my '92 Dale, and never had any problem. I have raced with Cane Creek mountain bike components, including headsets, which are great. They looked great and came with snazzy FSA skewers. This might be my bad though-- Looking back, I put my rear wheel on loosely when I took the bike out of my trunk and hung it up in my garage, with the expectation that I "would tighten it later before my next ride." It didn't feel out of true but it might have been torquing back and forth during my ride. My LBS has been great and said they would do whatever I wanted.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
2
0
Cane Creek hubs == ****

If your LBS said the Cane Creek are comparable to Ultegra then you need to find a new LBS.

When it comes to quality and durability versus price, Campy and Shimano (shudder) cannot be beat. Except for MTB applications, even the high zoot hubs (CK, DT, etc.) don't offer any advantages over a Record or Dura Ace hub other than bling. There are a lot of cheapo hubs and even not so cheapo--coughAmerican Classiccough--that aspire to be high zoot, but are really ****.
 

dhk2

Active Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
37
48
74
Think I read somewhere that Cane Creek is a brand name for THI, the same major taiwan bearing company that markets under the FSA brand name.

While I don't have any experience with Cane Creek, my impression is that they are just another hub using pressed-in skateboard bearings like the Velomax/Easton Circuits I'm running. Just like Bro Deal states, my experience is that real "cup-and-cone bearing" hubs are more durable than the cartridge-bearing designs.
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
52
That may be, just remember that FSA wheels and hubs are pretty much known to be ****. :eek:

Stay with Campagnolo and that Japanese company are the two brands that you want to consider for your hubs. Buy as good a set as possible.
 

timpand

New Member
Dec 9, 2004
6
0
0
55
dhk2 said:
Think I read somewhere that Cane Creek is a brand name for THI, the same major taiwan bearing company that markets under the FSA brand name.

While I don't have any experience with Cane Creek, my impression is that they are just another hub using pressed-in skateboard bearings like the Velomax/Easton Circuits I'm running. Just like Bro Deal states, my experience is that real "cup-and-cone bearing" hubs are more durable than the cartridge-bearing designs.
Cane Creek components are made in North Carolina.

http://www.canecreek.com/who_we_are_faq.html#304
 

kopride

Member
May 17, 2006
1,012
10
38
Powerful Pete said:
That may be, just remember that FSA wheels and hubs are pretty much known to be ****. :eek:

Stay with Campagnolo and that Japanese company are the two brands that you want to consider for your hubs. Buy as good a set as possible.
It looks like the hubs and wheels are made in North Carolina and use 4 sealed cartridge bearings. As I said, they look great at least. My LBS said he will stand behind them in terms of quality so we will see if I have any problems. There is no question that Ultegra hubs are a known commodit, and are bulletproof. But if we ever want to free ourselves of the monopoly, then we need to check new stuff out.

I spec'd the rest of the bike with Ultegra (except for a Chris King headset and seatpost which is also wicked cool). Along the same lines, it will be interesting to see the experience of the cyclists that start spec'ing Schramm.
 

dhk2

Active Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
37
48
74
timpand said:
Cane Creek components are made in North Carolina.

http://www.canecreek.com/who_we_are_faq.html#304
Thanks for setting me straight on Cane Creek timpand.

I also favor US or non-Shimano components wherever possible. Have Ritchey, Thomson, FSA, speedplay and Velomax wheels on my US made DA-equipped frame. There must be be some high quality cup-and-cone hubs that aren't Shimano or Campy as well, but haven't tried any of them.