Cane Creek IS headset

gshank24

May 3, 2004
I recently bought a Klein Q Pro XX with the Cane Creek IS headset and have been on approximately 20 rides, about 775 miles. From the first day on the bike it has handled poorly in that when I'm going about 20 mph the steering seems to have a gyroscopic effect. What I mean is that if you were to hold a wheel with both hands and then spin it, it will try to move either from left to right or right to left. This also happens when I ride down hills at about 40 mph. Does anyone out there know how I can correct this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by gshank24
I recently bought a Klein Q Pro XX with the Cane Creek IS headset and have been on approximately 20 rides, about 775 miles. From the first day on the bike it has handled poorly in that when I'm going about 20 mph the steering seems to have a gyroscopic effect. What I mean is that if you were to hold a wheel with both hands and then spin it, it will try to move either from left to right or right to left. This also happens when I ride down hills at about 40 mph. Does anyone out there know how I can correct this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks for your help.
I don't know anything about the Klein Q Pro XX, but assume it is designed to work with an IS headset. If that is true then my guess would be the headset has been installed incorrectly, or worse your integrated frame inserts for the headset are screwed up. If you have worked with a headset before I would dissassemble it and note how it is installed relative to the instructions which you can get of Cane Creek's web site. If not then take it to the shop.

I have about 2500 miles on mine and I just overhauled it and everything was fine, just cleaned it, re-greased and put it back together.