Cane Creek S-5 Getting Tighter

sansabar

Jul 19, 2005
I'm new to the forum and to the Cane Creek headset.

I recently purchased a used LeMond Buenos Aires with a Cane Creek S-5 headset. After putting about 30 miles on the bike I have noticed that the steering has become very deliberate and has very little free movement. It is as if the headset is tightening on its own. Anyone have a similar problem or a solution for this?

The bike is immaculate, used not abused, and was turning freely when I first put it to the road.

Thanks in advance for any input or help.

Scott

sansabar said:
I'm new to the forum and to the Cane Creek headset.

I recently purchased a used LeMond Buenos Aires with a Cane Creek S-5 headset. After putting about 30 miles on the bike I have noticed that the steering has become very deliberate and has very little free movement. It is as if the headset is tightening on its own. Anyone have a similar problem or a solution for this?

The bike is immaculate, used not abused, and was turning freely when I first put it to the road.

Thanks in advance for any input or help.

Scott
HS don't self tighten. repair section at www.parktool.com has the drill on em.If you don't know what you are doing,take it to LBS.

For what it's worth I solved my problem. I didn't realize that the two stem bolts are where the tube tension was managed. I guess that the bolts were not tight enough and were allowing the stem to tighten up while riding. Took me a less than five minutes to reset and adjust the headset once I learned how it worked. Thanks again for the help.

Scott