Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Cane Creek Speed Bars: Opinions?

Started by Retribe · · Last activity · 4 posts · 931 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 October 2003
Last activity
2 November 2003
Original author
Retribe
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
931
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does any one have experience with these? I know I could go to aero bars, and might just do that, but, I'm wondering if these are a good alternative?

    Retribe

  2. "Retribe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does any one have experience with these? I know I could go to aero bars, and might just do that,
    but, I'm wondering if these are a good alternative?

    I prefer the old Scott Rakes, since they have more drop and throw, and I prefer gripping the curved
    sections of bars (no "anatomic" bars for me, thank you). Either way, though, you'll have to have
    your position really dialed in and have plenty of triceps endurance if you expect to spend as much
    time on these as elbow-rest aerobars. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden almost continously on mine
    for up to 2 h at a time, but your arms definitely do get more tired than when just leaning on
    regular aerobars.

    Andy Coggan

  3. "Retribe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does any one have experience with these? I know I could go to aero bars, and might just do that,
    but, I'm wondering if these are a good alternative?

    Retribe

    I was under the impression that they were designed for use in breakaways in actual road races. I
    have seen them used by one guy in crits, but I've never seen anyone use them in a TT - full aerobars
    are more comfortable. for road races and crits, I usually put my forearms on the bar tops, next to
    the stem (check out Axel Merckx in Liege during his breakaway - something like that). I won't go so
    far as to say that it's actually won me races, but I think it has helped.

  4. "Weiwen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Retribe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does any one have experience with these? I know I could go to aero bars, and might just do that,
    but, I'm wondering if these are a good alternative?

    Retribe

    I was under the impression that they were designed for use in breakaways


    in

    Quoted message said:

    actual road races. I have seen them used by one guy in crits, but I've


    never

    Quoted message said:

    seen anyone use them in a TT - full aerobars are more comfortable. for


    road

    Quoted message said:

    races and crits, I usually put my forearms on the bar tops, next to the


    stem

    Quoted message said:

    (check out Axel Merckx in Liege during his breakaway - something like


    that).

    Quoted message said:

    I won't go so far as to say that it's actually won me races, but I think


    it

    Quoted message said:

    has helped.

    Correct - the speed bars, rakes, etc. are intended for mass-start events where real aerobars are
    prohibited, and would be a poor substitute for them in situations where those rules don't apply.

    For getting aero in races without aerobars, as a Shimano user I run my STI cables long enough so
    that I can rest my forearms on the bar tops and hook a couple of fingers through the shift cables to
    anchor my hands. You can't yank on them like a bar, but they do help stabilize your upper body and
    allow you to steer more effectively. Just the ticket for short efforts out in the wind.

    SB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.