cane creek wheels, Good? Bad ? or just ugly ?

Dmurraypa

Guest
I am thinking about buying a set of Cane Creek wheels. Does anyone have any experience with Cane
Creek wheels? Good? Bad? or just ugly?

Thanks, Dave

dmurray-<< I am thinking about buying a set of Cane Creek wheels. Does anyone have any experience
with Cane Creek wheels? Good? Bad? or just ugly? >><BR><BR>

We sure true a lot of them. Goofy design, not light, not aero, expensive with propriatary parts.
Easy to make a wheelset that will perform the same(or better) for less money and common parts.

[email protected] (DMurrayPA) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking about buying a set of Cane Creek wheels. Does anyone have any experience with Cane
> Creek wheels? Good? Bad? or just ugly?
>
> Thanks, Dave

My cycling team gets a good deal on Cane Creek wheels so I've been using them for the past three
years with very good results. I'm especially impressed with the build quality.

My daily training wheels are CC Deep-V clinchers which are built with a CC version of the Velocity
Deep-V rim which is a not very light, very strong and somewhat areo rim. I've ridden them for three
years on an off pavement and they've never needed truing, even though they've taken some hits hard
enough to deform the clincher hook slightly. Last week I was knocked down by a car that clipped my
rear wheel hard enough to knock it out of the dropouts. The wheel didn't buckle and was only about 1
cm out of true. The rim joint seperated slightly, so I've replaced the wheel with another Deep-V.

My race wheels are the CC carbon wheels based on a on the Zipp 404 sewup rim. They're very light,
very areo and stayed true through a full season. Like all light carbon wheels, they have a sketchy
braking surface and are susceptible to breakage in minor mishaps.

I also have a pair of CC Crono wheels with ti spokes. I use the sewup version. This a very light,
fairly areo wheelset that has held up well for me. The front wheel is a bit flexy in a sprint. These
wheels have also stayed true even when I hit a cattle guard hard at speed and put a bulge in the
braking surface. I fixed this by squeezing the rim between some metal plates with some vice grips
and the wheel is still going strong. I use them as my race wheels on my cyclocross bike.

I'm a believer when it comes to areo wheels with deep cross sections and low spoke counts, so I've
never tried the aerohead wheels.

Bret

They are awesome. I rode the same set of deep dish carbons on ti spokes through an entire 100 race
season in 2000, and finished that season ranked no.3 on the USPro tour (20 races that year) and the
NRC. I loved those wheels. Still have a set and raced them to victory in the Southland Tour in NZ
over last November. They're aero, compliant, and bulletproof (unless somebody runs over the back
wheel at 60kph, then it doesn't matter what kind of wheel it is it will break) John "DMurrayPA"