Canned salmon?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Scopophobic, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Scopophobic

    Scopophobic Guest

    What do I do with stuff?

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  3. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >What do I do with stuff?

    I like it right out of the can.

    The usual solution, though, is salmon loaf. Any old combination of finely chopped celery and onion,
    thyme, sage, parsley, pepper, egg, and breadcrumbs will do. Bake like a meatloaf. Some folks whop up
    a white sauce to serve over it.

    Ignore the flap about chemical concentrations in farmed salmon. It's a bunch of the usual hokum.

    Neil

  4. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    [email protected] (Scopophobic) wrote:

    >What do I do with stuff?

    Sandwiches made with canned salmon were a luxury in my childhood.

    Dennis

  5. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Salmon and Spinach Quiche

    Ingredients

    -3 large eggs -Milk -Salt -Nutmeg -White pepper -1/2 of a yellow onion, diced -1 10oz package frozen
    chopped spinach, cooked according to package directions and squeezed of all excess moisture -1 can
    salmon, drained and flaked with a fork -1/4 cup grated cheese, your choice (I like Monterey Jack) -1
    clove garlic, minced -1 T butter -1 9" prebaked pie shell

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook
    until fragrant and straw-colored. Add onion, saute until just starting to turn brown.

    2. Beat the eggs in a large measuring cup. Add enough milk so that the total volume of liquid
    reaches 1 1/2 cups. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.

    3. Scatter half of the cheese in the bottom of the pie shell. Add the onions, spinach, salmon, and
    the other half of the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the filling, and bake until nicely
    browned, about 30 minutes.

  6. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

  7. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What do I do with stuff?

    Sandwiches as mentioned...for me, with lots of fresh mayo, red leaf lettuce, sliced tomato and a
    tiny bit of red onion on Russian black bread.

    I've also used it instead of tuna in tuna casserole recipes...from scratch, no canned cream-of-
    whatever soup.

    Paula

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Scopophobic) wrote:

    > What do I do with stuff?

    Creamed salmon and peas on toast. Shades of childhood's Lenten Fridays.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  9. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What do I do with stuff?

    Salmon Melt sandwich!

    (This is how I do it - use each according to your own tastes)

    Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of bone
    or skin). In a bowl with the salmon combine; lemon, mayo, garlic, dill, diced onion, dash salt.

    Between 2 slices of buttered sourdough bread, place a slice of white cheese (provolone, meunster,
    mozarella, etc.), salmon mixture, and second slice cheese. Slap sandwich in hot pan and cook side
    to desired toastiness, then flip and cook that side until desired toastiness. (Cheese should be,
    oh, so gooey.)

    Eat and be happy! Yummy..................

    kili

  10. Scopophobic wrote:

    > What do I do with stuff?

    Salmon salad with both mayo and sour cream. Tuna salad is for folks with no cans of salmon in their
    cuboard ;^) Tuna salad lacking the extra tang of sour cream is for folks who like bland.

    I like to mix a shake of random-herb-of-the-day when I make salmon salad.

    Salmon salad scouped out of the bowl with fresh raw veggie pieces, yum.

  11. Lallin

    Lallin Guest

    Salmon Patties
    1 can (16 ounces) salmon
    1 small onion, finely grated (use juice and pulp)
    3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    pepper to taste
    2 large eggs, well beaten
    1 to 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
    3 tablespoons butter
    Turn salmon and liquid into a medium mixing bowl. Flake with a fork,
    removing OR mashing any bones (they are edible). Mix in grated onion,
    parsley and pepper. Mix beaten eggs with salmon. Add enough bread crumbs,
    about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, to make thick enough to shape into 12 small patties.
    Roll patties in 1/2 cup bread crumbs. In a large heavy skillet over low
    heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter; add patties. Fry patties slowly on one
    side; add remaining butter, turn patties and fry until brown on the other
    side.
    Serves 6.
    http://southernfood.about.com

    >What do I do with stuff?

  12. Maxine In Ri

    Maxine In Ri Guest

    WardNA wrote:

    > >What do I do with stuff?

    > Ignore the flap about chemical concentrations in farmed salmon. It's a bunch of the usual hokum.
    >
    > Neil

    No need toworry about the farmed salmon warnings: Canned is usually wild.

    maxine in ri

  13. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > (Scopophobic) wrote:
    >
    > > What do I do with stuff?
    >
    > Creamed salmon and peas on toast. Shades of childhood's Lenten Fridays.
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    Omigod! That's one I haven't had, or even heard of, since -- oh -- one Lenten Friday in childhood.
    It was good, wasn't it? Would it still be?

    Felice

  14. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

  15. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:49:20 GMT, "kilikini"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Salmon Melt sandwich!

    >Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of
    >bone or skin).

    Bumblebee, I think, has very pricey small cans of skinless-boneless -- rather like tuna but not so
    watery. I agree that 'picking over' is a big pain. Many folk just strip off the skin and mash the
    bones, but I don't like 'funny bits' in food.

  16. In article <[email protected]_s51>, "Felice Friese"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Scopophobic)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > What do I do with stuff?
    > >
    > > Creamed salmon and peas on toast. Shades of childhood's Lenten Fridays.
    > > --
    > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
    >
    > Omigod! That's one I haven't had, or even heard of, since -- oh -- one Lenten Friday in childhood.
    > It was good, wasn't it? Would it still be?
    >
    > Felice

    I think it would still be good. Nostalgic if nothing else.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  17. "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> m27.aol.com...
    >> > What do I do with stuff?
    >> Give it to the cat
    >>

    > My cats won't even eat canned salmon - they prefer chunk light tuna; no oil.
    >
    > kili

    Both of my cats would kill for a can of either salmon or tuna. They don't get either very often,
    though, and then only as a treat. Fish is not really all that good for cats despite their
    affinity for it.

    Wayne

  18. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:49:20 GMT, "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Salmon Melt sandwich!
    >
    > >Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of
    > >bone or skin).
    >
    > Bumblebee, I think, has very pricey small cans of skinless-boneless -- rather like tuna but not so
    > watery. I agree that 'picking over' is a big pain. Many folk just strip off the skin and mash the
    > bones, but I don't like 'funny bits' in food.

    I know it adds calcium and protein, blah blah blah, but I just can't stomach the thought of eating
    skin & bones. YUK. And if it's pricey, I don't touch it! (My annual household income is well under
    the $20,000 U.S.A. amount.)

    kili

  19. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    No one said chowder yet. Canned salmon, milk, salt, onions, potatoes, maybe some cabbage. Yum.

  20. Marjohn

    Marjohn Guest

    > > > What do I do with stuff? salmon

    I always liked my Mom's recipe for "Salmon Rice Balls" and "Salmon Loaf"

    SALMON RICE BALLS

    1 lb can red salmon 1 cup cooked rice 2 eggs, slightly beaten 1 T. minced onion 1 t. salt
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

    Pre-heat oven to 350 degreees.Put can of salmon in mixing bowl and remove skin and bones. (I usually
    leave the bones in but crush them). Mix in rice, eggs, onion, salt and bread crumbs. Form mixture
    into balls about the size of a golf ball. Put salmon balls into a casserole dish. Mix soup with
    equal amount of water and pour over salmon balls. Bake covered for 30 minutes.

    SALMON LOAF

    2 cups red salmon 2 cups thick white sauce 2 cups soft bread crumbs 2 eggs 1 T. lemon juice
    mushrooms (optional)

    Remove skin and bones from salmon. Combine with remaining ingredients. Form into a loaf shape and
    bake in a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve with sauce made from
    mixing and heating one can condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk.