Canned salmon?

>What do I do with stuff?

I like it right out of the can.

The usual solution, though, is salmon loaf. Any old combination of finely chopped celery and onion,
thyme, sage, parsley, pepper, egg, and breadcrumbs will do. Bake like a meatloaf. Some folks whop up
a white sauce to serve over it.

Ignore the flap about chemical concentrations in farmed salmon. It's a bunch of the usual hokum.

Neil

Salmon and Spinach Quiche

Ingredients

-3 large eggs -Milk -Salt -Nutmeg -White pepper -1/2 of a yellow onion, diced -1 10oz package frozen
chopped spinach, cooked according to package directions and squeezed of all excess moisture -1 can
salmon, drained and flaked with a fork -1/4 cup grated cheese, your choice (I like Monterey Jack) -1
clove garlic, minced -1 T butter -1 9" prebaked pie shell

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook
until fragrant and straw-colored. Add onion, saute until just starting to turn brown.

2. Beat the eggs in a large measuring cup. Add enough milk so that the total volume of liquid
reaches 1 1/2 cups. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.

3. Scatter half of the cheese in the bottom of the pie shell. Add the onions, spinach, salmon, and
the other half of the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the filling, and bake until nicely
browned, about 30 minutes.

"Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do I do with stuff?

Sandwiches as mentioned...for me, with lots of fresh mayo, red leaf lettuce, sliced tomato and a
tiny bit of red onion on Russian black bread.

I've also used it instead of tuna in tuna casserole recipes...from scratch, no canned cream-of-
whatever soup.

Paula

"Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do I do with stuff?

Salmon Melt sandwich!

(This is how I do it - use each according to your own tastes)

Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of bone
or skin). In a bowl with the salmon combine; lemon, mayo, garlic, dill, diced onion, dash salt.

Between 2 slices of buttered sourdough bread, place a slice of white cheese (provolone, meunster,
mozarella, etc.), salmon mixture, and second slice cheese. Slap sandwich in hot pan and cook side
to desired toastiness, then flip and cook that side until desired toastiness. (Cheese should be,
oh, so gooey.)

Eat and be happy! Yummy..................

kili

Scopophobic wrote:

> What do I do with stuff?

Salmon salad with both mayo and sour cream. Tuna salad is for folks with no cans of salmon in their
cuboard ;^) Tuna salad lacking the extra tang of sour cream is for folks who like bland.

I like to mix a shake of random-herb-of-the-day when I make salmon salad.

Salmon salad scouped out of the bowl with fresh raw veggie pieces, yum.

Salmon Patties
1 can (16 ounces) salmon
1 small onion, finely grated (use juice and pulp)
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
pepper to taste
2 large eggs, well beaten
1 to 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter
Turn salmon and liquid into a medium mixing bowl. Flake with a fork,
removing OR mashing any bones (they are edible). Mix in grated onion,
parsley and pepper. Mix beaten eggs with salmon. Add enough bread crumbs,
about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, to make thick enough to shape into 12 small patties.
Roll patties in 1/2 cup bread crumbs. In a large heavy skillet over low
heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter; add patties. Fry patties slowly on one
side; add remaining butter, turn patties and fry until brown on the other
side.
Serves 6.
http://southernfood.about.com

WardNA wrote:

> >What do I do with stuff?

> Ignore the flap about chemical concentrations in farmed salmon. It's a bunch of the usual hokum.
>
> Neil

No need toworry about the farmed salmon warnings: Canned is usually wild.

maxine in ri

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> (Scopophobic) wrote:
>
> > What do I do with stuff?
>
> Creamed salmon and peas on toast. Shades of childhood's Lenten Fridays.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

Omigod! That's one I haven't had, or even heard of, since -- oh -- one Lenten Friday in childhood.
It was good, wasn't it? Would it still be?

Felice

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:49:20 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Salmon Melt sandwich!

>Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of
>bone or skin).

Bumblebee, I think, has very pricey small cans of skinless-boneless -- rather like tuna but not so
watery. I agree that 'picking over' is a big pain. Many folk just strip off the skin and mash the
bones, but I don't like 'funny bits' in food.

In article <qbVWb.17708$uV3.37345@attbi_s51>, "Felice Friese"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Scopophobic)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > What do I do with stuff?
> >
> > Creamed salmon and peas on toast. Shades of childhood's Lenten Fridays.
> > --
> > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
>
> Omigod! That's one I haven't had, or even heard of, since -- oh -- one Lenten Friday in childhood.
> It was good, wasn't it? Would it still be?
>
> Felice

I think it would still be good. Nostalgic if nothing else.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Scopophobic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040211201258.13670.00001448@mb-
>> m27.aol.com...
>> > What do I do with stuff?
>> Give it to the cat
>>

> My cats won't even eat canned salmon - they prefer chunk light tuna; no oil.
>
> kili

Both of my cats would kill for a can of either salmon or tuna. They don't get either very often,
though, and then only as a treat. Fish is not really all that good for cats despite their
affinity for it.

Wayne

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:49:20 GMT, "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Salmon Melt sandwich!
>
> >Open a can of salmon, drain (and in my case take about 1 hour to pick out every single shred of
> >bone or skin).
>
> Bumblebee, I think, has very pricey small cans of skinless-boneless -- rather like tuna but not so
> watery. I agree that 'picking over' is a big pain. Many folk just strip off the skin and mash the
> bones, but I don't like 'funny bits' in food.

I know it adds calcium and protein, blah blah blah, but I just can't stomach the thought of eating
skin & bones. YUK. And if it's pricey, I don't touch it! (My annual household income is well under
the $20,000 U.S.A. amount.)

kili

No one said chowder yet. Canned salmon, milk, salt, onions, potatoes, maybe some cabbage. Yum.

> > > What do I do with stuff? salmon

I always liked my Mom's recipe for "Salmon Rice Balls" and "Salmon Loaf"

SALMON RICE BALLS

1 lb can red salmon 1 cup cooked rice 2 eggs, slightly beaten 1 T. minced onion 1 t. salt
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Pre-heat oven to 350 degreees.Put can of salmon in mixing bowl and remove skin and bones. (I usually
leave the bones in but crush them). Mix in rice, eggs, onion, salt and bread crumbs. Form mixture
into balls about the size of a golf ball. Put salmon balls into a casserole dish. Mix soup with
equal amount of water and pour over salmon balls. Bake covered for 30 minutes.

SALMON LOAF

2 cups red salmon 2 cups thick white sauce 2 cups soft bread crumbs 2 eggs 1 T. lemon juice
mushrooms (optional)

Remove skin and bones from salmon. Combine with remaining ingredients. Form into a loaf shape and
bake in a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve with sauce made from
mixing and heating one can condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk.