Cannibalizing Components from New Bike

John Hood

Guest
Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning buying a new bike just to get its parts for
another frame? It seems like this could be cheaper alternative to buying build kits and forks
seperately. What are the potential pitfalls with this approach? What about swapping out hydraulic
brakes (Hayes). I have no experience with setting these up and don't know how easy it is to switch
them over to another frame. Thanks.

"John Hood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning buying a new bike just to get its parts for
> another frame? It seems like this could be cheaper alternative to buying build kits and forks
> seperately. What are the potential pitfalls with this approach? What about swapping out hydraulic
> brakes (Hayes). I have no experience with setting these up and don't know how easy it is to switch
> them over to another frame.

I know a guy who buys complete bikes just for the components because its cheaper that way. He takes
off what he needs from the bike and sells the rest.

Setting up disc brakes is quite simple if you are a little mechanically inclined, just follow the
instructions.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

"John Hood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning buying a new bike just to get its parts for
> another frame? It seems like this could be cheaper alternative to buying build kits and forks
> seperately. What are the potential pitfalls with this approach? What about swapping out hydraulic
> brakes (Hayes). I have no experience with setting these up and don't know how easy it is to switch
> them over to another frame. Thanks.

I looked into the price of adding a rear disk to my bike. The price was substantial. I could buy a
whole new bike with the rear disk, for only a little more, and get the better front derailleur, an
extra front wheel (maybe sell the rear, or put on my wife's bike) and no doubt a number of other
bits and peices of useful stuff, for far less than the total, and then I could sell off what I
didn't want and even get some of the cost back, making it cheaper again. Now if I just had the
$800+, to do that with, then I'd truly have an awesome bike.

This is how I intend to eventually go to a rear disk for my bike. And I can also use it to go to LX
or better derailleurs. I should be able to do this some time about mid-year (tax refund time in
Australia) I'll let you know how it goes, and any problems I strike if you like. I'll be keeping a
special account of all that goes out, and how much I get back from sale of parts, and see what the
total cost ends up being. I suspect if I sell of enough of what I don't use, and I buy the new bike
when it's on discount, and bargain up an extra discount on top because of how much I put through my
LBS, then I may well come out with VERY cheap parts.

Trentus