Cannondale Bad boy 9 vs. Novara big buzz

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nojman33, Mar 23, 2013.

1. nojman33

nojman33 New Member

I know nothing about bikes and am looking to start commuting to work and school. I've been to REI mainly because they have the 20% sale coming up. I'm torn between the novara big buzz and the bad boy 9. I was told by an employee I get more bike for the money with the big buzz. I'm not sure if he's just saying that because its REI brand. I love the look and style of the bad boy. Both ride about the same for me.. the bad boy feeling a little more sporty. Anybody have any experience with either of these?

Tags:

2. nojman33

nojman33 New Member

Also I'm looking to do maybe some light hard pack or gravel roads nothing spectacular. Mostly concrete and asphalt.

3. zac88allred

zac88allred New Member

I bought the cannondale bb9 about a month ago. All I can say is this bike is awesome. I've owned a specialized allez, then a felt f85 both road bikes. I can say this bike easily can keep up with them. it's sweet looking, gears are super smooth. the brakes at first seemed cheap but after a couple of weeks breaking them in I can stop on a dime and I'm a big dude (6'5" 230lbs) I haven't ridden the Novara but can say the BB9 definitely will not disappoint you.

4. M34doors

M34doors New Member

Hi nojman33, have you purchase your bike yet? I am in the situation as you. I was going to pickup the big Buzz when the 20% off deal, but then I looked at the Bad boy 9, and it looks way cooler than the Big Buzz. However, the BB9 is no longer available at REI website, I went to store to see if they can order it but no since it is not on the website.

So, I happen to saw the Raleigh Misceo 2.0 and 3.0 over the weekend and now I am thinking about between the BB9, Misceo 2.0 or 3.0.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/lifestyle/urbantrail/misceo-3-0-13/ both of them available at REI.

I ride road bike so I am familiar with road bike components but not with mountain or urban components. I don't know which one is better.

5. KittyLiquor

KittyLiquor New Member

Purchased a 2013 Big Buzz about 6 months ago. I had an old Diamondback mountain bike, but wanted a more city/urban/commuter type bike. I'm no expert or that experienced, but I LOVE MY BIG BUZZ.

It took a month or two to get it really dialed in, but I'm guessing I have over 2,000 miles on it now. I had real problems with the tires, but I'm a big guy (6' & 240) running fast over some marginal roads and inflation errors. (oops) The Buzz shifts crisply, runs very quiet, smooth running, smooth transfer of power and I like the gearing. And I guess it's nice to have hydro brakes. Bottom Line: I love my Buzz, it is a great bike, but I didn't shop around a lot, and am not a bike expert.

I also have to add that the REI employees are the greatest! Sometimes corporate and management try to muck things up, but just power thru. It's the employees that get it done. (Nightmare ordering the Buzz. Kept telling me "tomorrow.")

6. KittyLiquor

KittyLiquor New Member

Purchased a 2013 Big Buzz about 6 months ago. I had an old Diamondback mountain bike, but wanted a more city/urban/commuter type bike. I'm no expert or that experienced, but I LOVE MY BIG BUZZ.

It took a month or two to get it really dialed in, but I'm guessing I have over 2,000 miles on it now. I had real problems with the tires, but I'm a big guy (6' & 240) running fast over some marginal roads and inflation errors. (oops) The Buzz shifts crisply, runs very quiet, smooth running, smooth transfer of power and I like the gearing. And I guess it's nice to have hydro brakes. Bottom Line: I love my Buzz, it is a great bike, but I didn't shop around a lot, and am not a bike expert.

I also have to add that the REI employees are the greatest! Sometimes corporate and management try to muck things up, but just power thru. It's the employees that get it done. (Nightmare ordering the Buzz. Kept telling me "tomorrow.")

[​IMG]