Cannondale Caad 10 vs. Pinarello fpDue

ebes4

Jan 19, 2015
Hey all
First time posting and first time purchasing a road bike for actual racing! I am looking at two bikes that are priced similarly (~1800):
2014 Cannondale Caad 10 ultegra and 2012 Pinarello fp Due Ultegra. They are both new, but old.
I just started triathloning and I love to ride recreationally as well-so I did not want to get a tri bike. I am 6'2" 185 lbs for what that is worth-I believe for comfort sake, which is what I have read.
Any thoughts between the two? I have a tendency to go european with my car history, but I realize this is a different story!

Hi and welcome. Have you had an opportunity to test ride both of them with a proper fit? In a situation where they're both equally comfortable, have the exact same groupset, and are roughly the same price, the best advice I've stuck to is to choose the bike you identify with the best.

If they're are technical things you look for like having a carbon frame, or the lightest bike, or "I absolutely need to have a bike with X groupset" then these factors will help sway your decision one way or another in a pretty definitive way. For example, something to consider is that the Cannondale's an aluminum frame and the Pinarello's carbon.

Ultimately, what's always worked best for me once a budget's been set is:

1) First make sure the bike can be fitted to you. This is just a matter of getting the right bike size and a competent fitter. However, this is something to consider if the model you're looking at has been on the market for several years and your local retailer no longer stocks or can source your size. Always get the right bike size.

2) Second choose the bike with the groupset you like. Sounds like they're both Ultegra in your case, at least the shifters. Hard to say more without seeing the full tech specs of both. I usually look at the drive train. Is it a compact or standard, and what kind of cassette is it running out of the box. Are these both the same year of Ultegras or is this different too? You might notice that an older bike could be running a 10-speed (or less) and the other an 11-speed.

3) Finally, choose the bike that looks the most awesome to you. Go with the bike that makes you wanna ride just by looking at it. Which paint job would you admire longer if you put them side by side? Any qualities of the frame that particularly appeal to you?

As a side note, I actually own both an aluminum frame Cannondale and a Pinarello although they're totally different tiers from each other and not the same models as the bikes you mention.

Keepmashing. Wow! Thanks so much for the helpful hints! I could find a local dealer to test ride these brands but they may not carry the same year as whats for sale.