Cannondale CAAD 5 Frame?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
I posted a while back regarding the fact that I'm a tall (6'4") rider looking for a new road bike. I mentioned in that post that I was thinking of purchasing a Cannondale because they offer a 63cm frame size that would be a good fit for me (according to frame sizing calculators and my own personal experience). However I'm conerned about the durability of the thin-walled aluminum frames produced by Cannondale. Some of the responses that I got confirmed these concerns. Especially with regard to the CAAD 7 frames.

I recently came across a deal on a Cannondale CAAD 5 frame. It's a 2003 model year frame including the Cannondale Slice SI carbon fork for $500. I have two questions.

1. Is this a "good deal" in your opinion?

2. Are the durability issues significantly reduced with the CAAD 5 frame vs. the CAAD 7?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Originally posted by meehs
I posted a while back regarding the fact that I'm a tall (6'4") rider looking for a new road bike. I mentioned in that post that I was thinking of purchasing a Cannondale because they offer a 63cm frame size that would be a good fit for me (according to frame sizing calculators and my own personal experience). However I'm conerned about the durability of the thin-walled aluminum frames produced by Cannondale. Some of the responses that I got confirmed these concerns. Especially with regard to the CAAD 7 frames.

I recently came across a deal on a Cannondale CAAD 5 frame. It's a 2003 model year frame including the Cannondale Slice SI carbon fork for $500. I have two questions.

1. Is this a "good deal" in your opinion?

2. Are the durability issues significantly reduced with the CAAD 5 frame vs. the CAAD 7?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
It's a good deal if new. The caad4,5,and 6 frames are essentially the same with the exception of an internal HS on the 5 and the HS plus BB differences on the 6. The caad 7 frame is the new improved ligher one with the slightly different alloy and the durability disclaimer.

Originally posted by boudreaux
It's a good deal if new. The caad4,5,and 6 frames are essentially the same with the exception of an internal HS on the 5 and the HS plus BB differences on the 6. The caad 7 frame is the new improved ligher one with the slightly different alloy and the durability disclaimer.

Thanks for the info Boudreaux. It is a brand new frame. Let me ask you this. I've never used one of the new "integrated" headsets and I wasn't aware that the CAAD 5 frame required this. Are they easy to come by? Are they just as durable as a standard headset? Do they install the same way as a standard headset or do they require special tools?

Originally posted by meehs
Thanks for the info Boudreaux. It is a brand new frame. Let me ask you this. I've never used one of the new "integrated" headsets and I wasn't aware that the CAAD 5 frame required this. Are they easy to come by? Are they just as durable as a standard headset? Do they install the same way as a standard headset or do they require special tools?
It's a Campy design internal HS.Available thru places like branfordbike,but not something most shps or retailers will have around. Bearings run in cups pressed in the headtube. Maybe a better deal for aluminum frames than totally integrated designs where the bearing cartridges run directly in a machined headtube.