Cannondale CAAD10 105 or Giant TCR 1 - Both Aluminium frames - Which one?

bikelyTO

Feb 28, 2011
Hi There,

I am shopping for my first road bike and I have narrowed it down to the Cannondale CAAD10 105 and the Giant TCR 1 - Both are Aluminium frames and both have the same price range.

Currently i have a Marin Bobcat Trail with semi slicks and I commute 28k a day almost every day. Right now I'm not riding due to snow here in Toronto, but as soon as the weather starts to clean up I'm picking up a new road bike and I would love to hear what you guys with experience think of these two bikes.

I noticed almost everything is Shimano 105 on both bikes, but the Brakes are "Tektro", are they any good? Should it be upgraded for a 105 brake, or it doesn't matter?

It would be great to know what you guys think of either one, cons and pros.

Cannondale CAAD10 105
http://www.cannondale.com/can/bikes/road/elite-road/2011-caad10/2011-caad-10-5-105-15725

Giant TCR 1
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-CA/bikes/model/tcr.1/7948/45703/

Both a good bikes but the best one will be the one that fits you the best. Bikes that fit good not only leave you feeling good after a couple of hours in the saddle but the tend to 'feel' better when you're riding them.

But, as I ride a Cannondale, I have a soft spot for the CAAD. An unbelievable performance bargain. Consider it a higher performance version of the frame that Mario Cipolini used to crush sprinters dreams in the Giro and Tour. Earlier versions of the CAAD frames have taken the top spot in the GC at the Giro. It has a direct legacy of Pro wins but it's a very nice bike to ride as long as you get one that fits.

The CAAD9 isn't that much different from the CAAD10 and you can still pick up "floor models" that are very heavily discounted. If you still want to spend the money you save buy some nice shoes and a pair or two of really nice shorts.

Thanks Swampy,

I agree i should test ride both to really know which one is best. Then comes the price i suppose, as the Caad10 retails for $1600 and the TCR 1 for $1300 here in Toronto. Performance for price will help too. I love the look of both.

How do you really know what is the best frame size for you, other than standing on top of the top tube?

I'm a newbie and bought the Caad10. Probably much more than I need. You're bike shop should size it for you and make all necessary adjustments to make you feel comfortable.

If you have longer legs and shorter torso, go with the C'dale. Shorter legs and longer torso, go with the Giant. Giant is more sloping at the top tube, so you'll have greater standover with it if you have relatively shorter legs.

Both are excellent bikes. I'd say the C'dale is the more "racier" of the two - though the CAAD10 has been softened up a bit from previous versions of the CAAD range. 105 kit is excellent. Tektro brakes are utilitarian and more importantly, cheap (increased profit margins). They get the job done (most critical aspect, IMO, to braking performance is the pads). Crankset on the C'dale is much better than on the Giant, as is the wheelset. Much better resale value (just in case) with the C'dale, as the CAAD series is highly regarded.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

If you have longer legs and shorter torso, go with the C'dale. Shorter legs and longer torso, go with the Giant. Giant is more sloping at the top tube, so you'll have greater standover with it if you have relatively shorter legs.

Both are excellent bikes. I'd say the C'dale is the more "racier" of the two - though the CAAD10 has been softened up a bit from previous versions of the CAAD range. 105 kit is excellent. Tektro brakes are utilitarian and more importantly, cheap (increased profit margins). They get the job done (most critical aspect, IMO, to braking performance is the pads). Crankset on the C'dale is much better than on the Giant, as is the wheelset. Much better resale value (just in case) with the C'dale, as the CAAD series is highly regarded.
I own two Cannondales and one has Tektro 520 brakes. I was not impressed at all with the stopping power of them and replaced the pads with shimano BR7900's. They are now much better than my 105's. Pads make a huge difference.
IMO I would not recomend either model bike as a commuter. These bikes offer no mounting for racks and fenders. If you are willing to backpack all your belongs then select the best fit of the two.

I'm looking to buy my first road bike to race and enter triathlons. I've narrowed my search down to two bikes... A 2012 cannondale caan10 5 105 and a 2012 giant tcr 1. The cannondale is 1300 and the giant is 1000. Both are season ending sales. The parts on the bikes are pretty the same (105) but the chain and casette on the giant is tiagra. And there are a few other differences in the brakes, etc. Opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

NLbiker92 said:
I'm looking to buy my first road bike to race and enter triathlons. I've narrowed my search down to two bikes... A 2012 cannondale caan10 5 105 and a 2012 giant tcr 1. The cannondale is 1300 and the giant is 1000. Both are season ending sales. The parts on the bikes are pretty the same (105) but the chain and casette on the giant is tiagra. And there are a few other differences in the brakes, etc. Opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Test ride both. Buy the one that fits best, rides best, and appeals to your aesthetic values. That's all there is to it. Both are good bikes.

I found they both fit reasonably well. Just wondering though what bike is best for the price?

NLbiker92 said:
I found they both fit reasonably well. Just wondering though what bike is best for the price?  
There is no objective answer for that. Bikes within a given price range are all generally equal in quality. It really is all about fit, how the bike rides, and how it appeals to you.