Cannondale Caad10 3

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by vrotsos991, Jul 5, 2011.

1. vrotsos991

vrotsos991 New Member

Is their any bikes out there that match up to the Caad? I rode one the other day and it fit well and seems to have a nice ultegra set up for 2000 dollars. I just dont want to jump the gun and purchase a bike before i ride other bikes that are equivalent. Any other brands and models out there to consider? I did my first road bike race this year on a low end scattantte with sora components, and if i enjoyed racing (fell in love with it) then i would purchase a better bike so this is why i am purchasing.

Also, is the extra money for the ultegra worth it or should i go just go with the 105?

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Every manufacturer has it's higher end bikes. Search the internet. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there. Look for Bianchi, Raliegh, Specialized, Giant, Trek, Bacchetta, Gary Fischer, Cervelo just to name a few. See what bikes they have on their site that is comparable to the Cannondale CAAD 10.3 and check them out.

In my opinion, 105 and Ultegra are pretty much equal in terms of performance. Ultegra is slightly lighter than 105 and it shifts slightly cleaner than 105. The difference in performance is not going to make or break your races at your current level. It might make a difference at Cat 2 or Cat 1 when the sponsor pays for your equipment. When you are out looking at bikes, see if you can ride one that has 105 on it and one that has Ultegra on it and see if you can tell the difference. If you can, also try a Campagnolo groupset and see if you like it better.

3. vrotsos991

vrotsos991 New Member

Thanks for the input, i saw that specialized makes a tarmac elite with apex groupo. Read some good reviews on it and going to go take a ride on it later this week. I also saw a scatantte with a carbon with ultegra and fsa hollow carbon crank, but i do not know if if it would be a good investment if i went to sell it. It also has low end wheels so i think i may pass on that.

Any expierience with a Tarmac frame. I read a few threads that people feel that they are old low end frames at this time and age. But i also read that the term low end carbon frames are not common anymore due to they are produced all in the same factories.

Does anyone have experience with the new apex group by sram. I saw there was some good reviews on it and people think it is equal to or better then 105. Anyone have and personal reviews on this group set?

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

The Tarmac Elite is a good frame. I would put it up against the Cannondale CAAD10 series any time. Specialized's Tarmac series has been around for awhile, just like the Cannondale CAAD series. But just like the CAAD series frames, the Tarmacs have been updated to meet the demands of the modern market.

My use of SRAM components is limited to chains and cassettes. I won't use their other components because of their poor customer service. I had too many friends denied warranty claims and saw too many hoops to jump through trying to get them to even consider looking at the warranted parts to justify using them. Now there are people out there who swear by Sram, but a lot of them are not people who have to service them. Here is a link to a previous thread that was being discussed on here earlier this year: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/483165. Pay close attention to [email protected] post. Peter is one of the most knowledgable and respected members of this forum and what he says can be taken to the bank.

5. vrotsos991

vrotsos991 New Member

Thank You. I appreciate it. Im still pondering on what i want to do .lol

6. supersix 105

supersix 105 New Member

for 2g's go for the entry level carbon frame w/ 105 comps./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Have had any test rides on bikes? If not, I'd suggest test riding the CAAD 10 and others in the same price range. The right bike will be the one that fits best, rides best, and makes your pink bits engorge with blood.

By all accounts, the CAAD 10 is thought to be a stellar bike. About all it gives up to any other bikes is that it's not made from the material that is favorite of marketing drones, i.e. carbon fiber. Don't let frame material pollute your decision. Let test rides do the trick.

8. Sunny44

Sunny44 New Member

I currently use SRAM despite their bad customer service reports. It is nice and has a sleek compact design that is nice, and the double-tap shifting style works well. I hear though around my bike shop that Apex and Red are good and the inbetween components aren't as good as ultegra. The category that would be equal to ultegra in SRAM is Force. So I suggest you go into a shop and try both out because a lot of it has to go with what you feel!