Cannondale Caad4 Road Bike

Bob Flemming

Guest
I took a gamble <not saying how much :-> and bought on a Cannondale Saeco Caad 4....without wheels.

Not really knowing that much about these components I can describe it as thus:

Frame 23" <bottom bracket to top of eat tube>....has Saeco, CAAD 4 written on it.....not sure of
year - painted red <looks a superb
colour>
Looks like a sealed bottom bracket bearing Top-clips Shimano 105<Flight Deck> STI shifters.. Double
chainset <EX Cannondale> Brakes have a 'C' inscribed on them <presumably Canondale's own> Front
derailleur Tiagra <has 9 speed written on it> Rear Derailleur is 105 Saddle, not sure, just has the
letter 'B' written on it

It looks all complete and ready to go.....save two wheels, which I intend to build in the coming
days! As far as I can see, it seems to shift ok, but obviously without wheels impossible to tell. It
has a couple of surface scratches.

Any ideas as to a rough value, if all road-worthy and ready to go?

Many thanks Bob <i am in the UK, btw

Sorry! I am going to **** on your parade. Don't buy it. There are so many superior bikes out there
with wheels. The CAAD 4 was one of the worst frames C'Dale produced. It rides like a brick and
sounds like a Coka Cola can. Frame life is also limited.

You can do much better. Find a Le Mond, Bianchi, Trek or Colnago. You will be happy you did. I owned
a CAAD 4. What a brutal piece of junk! There is SO much superior hardware out there that you need to
try. Saeco don't me **** until your ass is blistered

Ride others first!!!!

"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I took a gamble <not saying how much :-> and bought on a Cannondale Saeco Caad
> 4....without wheels.
>
> Not really knowing that much about these components I can describe it as thus:
>
> Frame 23" <bottom bracket to top of eat tube>....has Saeco, CAAD 4 written on it.....not sure of
> year - painted red <looks a superb
> colour>
> Looks like a sealed bottom bracket bearing Top-clips Shimano 105<Flight Deck> STI shifters..
> Double chainset <EX Cannondale> Brakes have a 'C' inscribed on them <presumably Canondale's own>
> Front derailleur Tiagra <has 9 speed written on it> Rear Derailleur is 105 Saddle, not sure, just
> has the letter 'B' written on it
>
> It looks all complete and ready to go.....save two wheels, which I intend to build in the coming
> days! As far as I can see, it seems to shift ok, but obviously without wheels impossible to tell.
> It has a couple of surface scratches.
>
> Any ideas as to a rough value, if all road-worthy and ready to go?
>
> Many thanks Bob <i am in the UK, btw

On the other hand I own a CAAD4 frame with ultegra drive train, triple chainring, that I find
extremely comfortable to ride and exceptionally sturdy. I have had no problems with it at all over
many, many miles.

It just goes to show that your mileage may indeed vary. So far as the response by Waxxer goes, he
has said that "it rides like a brick and sounds like a Coka [sic] Cola can." I find that the ride is
quite good, and as far as the noise is concerned, I'd advise him to tighten up a few components -
mine doesn't make any noise even on the chip & seal roads which are the norm here. Further, I have
had no longevity problems with the frame.

His other recommendations are perfectly OK, although you will find similar rants about them, too.
The LeMond has a long top tube in proportion to its other dimensions, some criticize the Bianchis
for the foam filled steel tubes, the Colnagos are kind of pricey, but you should perhaps ask for
advice locally. If you are able to build your own wheels, perhaps you are already in a better
position to answer your questions yourself.

Alexander Gilchrist

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:53:26 -0400, Alexander Gilchrist <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the other hand I own a CAAD4 frame with ultegra drive train, triple chainring, that I find
>extremely comfortable to ride and exceptionally sturdy. I have had no problems with it at all over
>many, many miles.
>
>It just goes to show that your mileage may indeed vary. So far as the response by Waxxer goes, he
>has said that "it rides like a brick and sounds like a Coka [sic] Cola can." I find that the ride
>is quite good, and as far as the noise is concerned, I'd advise him to tighten up a few components
>- mine doesn't make any noise even on the chip & seal roads which are the norm here. Further, I
>have had no longevity problems with the frame.
>
>His other recommendations are perfectly OK, although you will find similar rants about them, too.
>The LeMond has a long top tube in proportion to its other dimensions, some criticize the Bianchis
>for the foam filled steel tubes, the Colnagos are kind of pricey, but you should perhaps ask for
>advice locally. If you are able to build your own wheels, perhaps you are already in a better
>position to answer your questions yourself.

Indeedy so, I've decided to build a couple of wheels, get a block and made it road-worthy, and take
it from there. Unfortunately the frame is too small for me, so I'll have to find a home for it
elsewhere, otherwise I'd gladly give it a fair run for its money.

Asking the value of anything is a typical 'how longs a piece of string question', and conjuring a
figure is fairly pointless really anyway... ....even though I just did :)

Thanks anyway.

bob

>> I took a gamble <not saying how much :-> and bought a Cannondale Saeco Caad 4

>Sorry! I am going to **** on your parade. Don't buy it.

lol...didn't realize rage was blind too.... ..amusing stuff.

bob

"waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> . It rides like a brick and sounds like a Coka Cola can. Frame life is also limited.
>
> You can do much better. Find a Le Mond, Bianchi, Trek or Colnago. You will be happy you did. I
> owned a CAAD 4. What a brutal piece of junk! There is SO much superior hardware out there that you
> need to try. Saeco don't me **** until your ass is blistered

Waxxer, you're not riding hard enough. There's nothing wrong with the ride of any CAAD frame. If you
want to ride around spinning a weeny gear like Lance then yes the woody ride you get from a dead
frame such as the OCLV Trek will suit you better. But if you can mash the big ring like me then you
can do justice to the Optimo tubes from Alcoa that are used on the CAAD.

To prove this look at Lance's results, this year at La Doyenne ( Liège - Bastogne - Liège, to you )
he could only finish way back in 20th, now I know from experience that I can beat Javier Pascual
Rodriguez and Matthias Kessler who came in 7th and 18th that day.

Guys like Danilo Di Luca and Me deserve the CAAD7, but an older bike like the CAAD4 should be ok for
some amateur North American rider up to and including a Cat 1racer, your pro/am races are all very
short and really you don't have any stage races to talk about. I see Bob Flemming is from the U.K,
but his races are about the same as yours.

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 02:35:04 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
Internet wrote:

>Waxxer, you're not riding hard enough. There's nothing wrong with the ride of any CAAD frame. If
>you want to ride around spinning a weeny gear like Lance then yes the woody ride you get from a
>dead frame such as the OCLV Trek will suit you better.

Jealous! Carbon is where it's at, where it's going to be, and where it will stay. Aluminum is for
the second-tier teams that can't afford an all-carbon bike. They'll put as much carbon on the bike
as they can afford, though, like chain stays, forks, seatposts and crankarms. Maybe you can save up
enough money that when you quit your j*b you'll be able to afford a decent carbon bike like the
T-700 Diamante Carbon Monocoque frame from Basso.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace an immediately seeing nerd smites a
new bike...

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> Jealous! Carbon is where it's at, where it's going to be, and where it will stay. Aluminum is for
> the second-tier teams that can't afford an all-carbon bike.

Kevan, the results speak for themselves:

Liège-Bastogne-Liège - Iban Mayo Diez riding for team Euskaltel-Euskadi using an AL Orbea frame came
in 2nd, while ol Lance riding carbon came in way back in 20th spot. That's a lot of UCI points to
give up just to ride a carb frame!

Now here is a response I can appreciate! I am glad you have had success with the CAAD 4. People
complain about all kinds of bike traits. My CAAD4 fit well but my Lemond was awesome. I like that
seat tube hanging back!

I guess the point is try many and buy the one that works best--DOH! Unless it is a Land Cruiser!

Cheers!

"Alexander Gilchrist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On the other hand I own a CAAD4 frame with ultegra drive train, triple chainring, that I find
> extremely comfortable to ride and exceptionally sturdy. I have had no problems with it at all over
> many, many miles.
>
> It just goes to show that your mileage may indeed vary. So far as the response by Waxxer goes, he
> has said that "it rides like a brick and sounds like a Coka [sic] Cola can." I find that the ride
> is quite good, and as far as the noise is concerned, I'd advise him to tighten up a few components
> - mine doesn't make any noise even on the chip & seal roads which are the norm here. Further, I
> have had no longevity problems with the frame.
>
> His other recommendations are perfectly OK, although you will find similar rants about them, too.
> The LeMond has a long top tube in proportion to its other dimensions, some criticize the Bianchis
> for the foam filled steel tubes, the Colnagos are kind of pricey, but you should perhaps ask for
> advice locally. If you are able to build your own wheels, perhaps you are already in a better
> position to answer your questions yourself.
>
> Alexander Gilchrist

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:46:18 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
Internet wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
>> Jealous! Carbon is where it's at, where it's going to be, and where it will stay. Aluminum is for
>> the second-tier teams that can't afford an all-carbon bike.
>
>Kevan, the results speak for themselves:
>
>Liège-Bastogne-Liège - Iban Mayo Diez riding for team Euskaltel-Euskadi using an AL Orbea frame
>came in 2nd, while ol Lance riding carbon came in way back in 20th spot. That's a lot of UCI points
>to give up just to ride a carb frame!

The Orbea Starship frame that the Euskaltel-Euskadi Division 1 Pros use isn't all AL. The Zues ZACCS
carbon fiber rear triangle Orbea uses has a proprietary fiber layup and shaped profiles for optimal
handling and amazing lateral stiffness. The combination of carbon seatstays and chainstays gives
performance impossible to achieve with metal alone and offers superior power delivery over frames
that pair carbon seatstays with metal chainstays.

On our training ride today, some guy came out with a solid black CAAD 4 frame. I about busted out
laughing. He wasn't even dressed proper either. He had on some no-name shorts and a generic jersey
with no sponsors. We dropped him before we even reached the point where it's understood the
warmup's over.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY is CRYING for an END
to BURT REYNOLDS movies!!

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:54:25 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>On our training ride today, some guy came out with a solid black CAAD 4 frame. I about busted out
>laughing. He wasn't even dressed proper either. He had on some no-name shorts and a generic jersey
>with no sponsors. We dropped him before we even reached the point where it's understood the
>warmup's over.

Oh my GOD! No sponsors on his clothing and his frame? How *terrible*!

Jasper

> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> > Jealous! Carbon is where it's at, where it's going to be, and where it will stay. Aluminum is
> > for the second-tier teams that can't afford an all-carbon bike.
>
> Kevan, the results speak for themselves:
>
> Liège-Bastogne-Liège - Iban Mayo Diez riding for team Euskaltel-Euskadi using an AL Orbea frame
> came in 2nd, while ol Lance riding carbon came in way back in 20th spot. That's a lot of UCI
> points to give up just to ride a carb frame!

It's not about the bike! If you had switched their bikes, the results would have been the same. The
winners were "on" that day, and Lance wasn't.

it's morning".

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> On our training ride today, some guy came out with a solid black CAAD 4
frame. I
> about busted out laughing. He wasn't even dressed proper either. He had on
some
> no-name shorts and a generic jersey with no sponsors. We dropped him before we even reached the
> point where it's understood the warmup's over.

Good job on dumping him quick, if you're lucky he will get the message and not show up again. What
was he doing anyway, on his way to work or something?

"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Oh my GOD! No sponsors on his clothing and his frame? How *terrible*!

Yes they're out there alright, I don't know what their little game is, but it seems they have no
concern whats-so-ever on how they look.

They are usually those types that complain about traffic, make some kind of goofy arm signal when
turning, ride their bike to work, wave to other freds, etc. Just stay away from them and you
should be o.k.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:10:27 GMT, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> from Cox
Communications wrote:

>It's not about the bike! If you had switched their bikes, the results would have been the same. The
>winners were "on" that day, and Lance wasn't.

On what?

I know this is really old news, but I just found out about Gilberto Simoni's final reason for
testing positive for cocaine -- Peruvian lozenges! What's even funnier is that the UCI accepted
his story.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I've got a COUSIN who works in the GARMENT
DISTRICT ...

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:31:47 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
Internet wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> > On our training ride today, some guy came out with a solid black CAAD 4
>frame. I
>> about busted out laughing. He wasn't even dressed proper either. He had on
>some
>> no-name shorts and a generic jersey with no sponsors. We dropped him before we even reached the
>> point where it's understood the warmup's over.
>>

>Good job on dumping him quick, if you're lucky he will get the message and not show up again. What
>was he doing anyway, on his way to work or something?

That's the funny part -- he wanted to train and thought he could hang with us. You should have seen
him huffing like a blowfish in his 53x23 granny gear. His eyes were so bulged out I almost worried
about him, then I looked at his bike again and that feeling passed.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Yow! We're going to a new disco!
1:13:37 PM 4 June 2003

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:02:10 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> from EasyNews, UseNet made
Easy! - Test our service with our FREE trial at https://www.easynews.com/trial/trial.phtml wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:54:25 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>>On our training ride today, some guy came out with a solid black CAAD 4 frame. I about busted out
>>laughing. He wasn't even dressed proper either. He had on some no-name shorts and a generic jersey
>>with no sponsors. We dropped him before we even reached the point where it's understood the
>>warmup's over.
>
>Oh my GOD! No sponsors on his clothing and his frame? How *terrible*!

Yes, but he'll learn. I expect the next time we see him, he'll be outfitted properly. He might even
get one of those Orbea's Mazzoleni likes. After all, one of their sponsors is Jelly Belly.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Maybe we could paint GOLDIE HAWN a rich
PRUSSIAN BLUE --

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:17:18 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>I know this is really old news, but I just found out about Gilberto Simoni's final reason for
>testing positive for cocaine -- Peruvian lozenges! What's even funnier is that the UCI accepted
>his story.

Is cocaine a performance enhancing drug? If not, what the hell does the UCI have to do with it?

Jasper

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:21:40 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> from EasyNews, UseNet made
Easy! - Test our service with our FREE trial at https://www.easynews.com/trial/trial.phtml wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:17:18 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>>I know this is really old news, but I just found out about Gilberto Simoni's final reason for
>>testing positive for cocaine -- Peruvian lozenges! What's even funnier is that the UCI accepted
>>his story.
>
>Is cocaine a performance enhancing drug? If not, what the hell does the UCI have to do with it?

Cocaine is speed, so, yes, it is a performance enhancing drug. It also numbs pain.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I just remembered something about a TOAD!
1:03:48 PM 5 June 2003