Cannondale CAAD5 2007

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by talljames, Nov 8, 2006.

1. talljames

talljames New Member

This weekend I pick up a brand new 2007 CAAD5 66cm (yes 66cm!) with ultegra 10sp group set. Looking forward to it. I will also be having a fit out at the same time. The reason for the big frame is that I am 6 feet 8 inches tall. Even though I am getting shimano I had thought about the new SRAM force. I understand that cannondale have come along way in producing a decent bike using an aluminium frame. Anyways, will keep you posted.

cheers
    James

Tags:

2. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

Don't you mean caad8 or caad9? Caad5's are a bit old...[​IMG]

3. talljames

talljames New Member

A bit old but still a good one. A few minor changes to it. Thought I was going to have some problem with the seat, but ended up getting a selle Ldy and it fits great! I have a polar s150 base line model and fitted that. I also have some look pedals that I fitted, but I may need to get some different ones with +6. I will attach a pic when I get one.

cheers
    ;)

4. talljames

talljames New Member

5. moggy

moggy New Member

Talljames

Good choice of bike for a tall rider....i am 6foot3 and had a 63cm caad5....it was a very good bike to race on..........very stiff and responsive which is what you need if you are a big fella....what size head stem and what type of wheels will you be running? I use a 130mm head stem to get the reach I need and run cxp33's (36 spoke)

good luck
    moggy:D

6. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

Wow...I stand corrected...I didn't think they still made the caad5's! That and in the U.S. they don't sell the caad5's...we're up to the caad8 and 9's. I just realized that the caad5's are available in other parts of the world. I agree...very good race bike indeed.[​IMG]

7. talljames

talljames New Member

The head stem is 130mm and I believe there is a longer one available. But, I think I will be inverting it to lower the drop and bring bar in a bit more. :)

8. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

That's one large frame! Don't think I've ever seen a 66cm :)

I had a CAAD5 a couple years back (in a more regular 54cm). It was a great bike - stiff, light and comfy.

Enjoy it!

9. talljames

talljames New Member

thank you!! I am looking at getting pedals that have a +6 on them. Only one manufacturer I understand and they are in New Zealand. I am also looking at getting some sidi size 50 shoes. I think sidi are the only guys that make shoes for big feet. Perhps North Wave too? I don't want to pay for the top of the line, just need a mid range style.

10. moggy

moggy New Member

Talljames

Thats exactly what I have done with my setup...130mm cinelli groove stem, which I inverted to give me better position...I found the bike was easier to control at high speed than having the stem on an angle...

Are they mavic cxp33 - 36 spoke wheels?

whats your inseam measurement....must be long with all that seat post out on a 66cm frame....(mine is 95)

I saw a mate on a new system six the other day...they look a really solid frame....i reckon they would be great for bigger riders?

cheers
    moggy

11. talljames

talljames New Member

Heh moggy!,

I forgot to post the wheel information, but will. With the seat post I am not as high as I was with my old hybrid. I've got to get this part right as I don't want any long term injuries.

On another note I am looking at getting a set of sidi 5 mega shoes. I wish they came in another color besides black though. It seems a lot of the latest models are in black/silver. Mega is only available in black.

I sign up with a club this Saturday. start off in grade C I think...:eek:)