Cannondale CAAD5 Dented Seatstay

David Patnaude

Guest
I just bought a new Cannondale R900 in the fall with the CAAD5 frame. I have ridden it less that 200
miles due to the winter and weather conditions. When cleaning the bike after the last ride, I
noticed a dent in the left seatstay at about the mid point (between the two curves +/-). It wasn't
there before the ride and to my knowledge it wasn't banged into by anyone else during the ride.
Could this have heppened just from road shock or must something have banged it up? There are no
scuff marks in the area or any indications of contact. What is the prognosis? This will really suck
if I finally bought myself a nice bike and it gets damaged before I even really start using it. I am
stopping by the LBS on the way home for some other issues and was wondering how I should approach
this situation with them.

Thanks, Dave P.

"David Patnaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought a new Cannondale R900 in the fall with the CAAD5 frame. I have ridden it less that
> 200 miles due to the winter and weather conditions. When cleaning the bike after the last ride, I
> noticed a dent
in
> the left seatstay at about the mid point (between the two curves +/-). It wasn't there before the
> ride and to my knowledge it wasn't banged into by anyone else during the ride. Could this have
> heppened just from road shock or must something have banged it up? There are no scuff marks in the
> area or any indications of contact. What is the prognosis? This will really
suck
> if I finally bought myself a nice bike and it gets damaged before I even really start using it. I
> am stopping by the LBS on the way home for some other issues and was wondering how I should
> approach this situation with them.
>
> Thanks, Dave P.

Before kvetching at the LBS, you sure the dent wasn't made by a significant other/kids/roommates
knocking the bike when you weren't looking? Heck, even if you crashed once on it, but don't remember
doing anything, it may have happened then...

I inherited a CAAD3 frame from a friend that had the right seatstay crumpled
in. Looked like he tried to grab it in a vice, but I know it happened when he was racing. I
figure as long as I'm paying attention and making sure that it doesn't crack/fail I'm going
to ride it.

Bikes are so over engineered that a little dent isn't going to really affect anything. Just keep an
eye on it (when you're wiping down the bike after getting it muddy) to make sure that the frame
doesn't crack there. You should get many miles (years?) out of the frame even with the dent.

Mike

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in news:Be2ea.3365$Bq6.1434@fed1read02:

> Before kvetching at the LBS, you sure the dent wasn't made by a significant other/kids/roommates
> knocking the bike when you weren't looking? Heck, even if you crashed once on it, but don't
> remember doing anything, it may have happened then...

I hate to have to admit it, but it was my wife who knocked it over when it was leaning outside
against the garage. I thought it was very strange because the ride on Saunday was very wet, so I
washed the bike when I got home. It was leaning against the garage drying. Now that I now where it
fell, it makes sense because there is 4x4 wood frame around the walk where the seatstay would have
hit when it went down. She never said anything until I just asked her.

Hopefully it is all right.

Thanks, Dave

i smell divorce!:)

On 19 Mar 2003 13:22:22 GMT, David Patnaude <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the prognosis? This will really suck if I finally bought myself a nice bike and it gets
> damaged before I even really start using it.

You will have no problem other than what is in your head with owning and riding the frame. When and
if you go to sell, you'll loose about ½ the value.

If you are still uncomfortable about it, ask your LBS to have the cannondale rep take a look at it..
he will tell you if it is a problem or not... I suspect that it is not a problem/risk. Our local
cannondale rep is terrific and will check things our for us without any hassles.

charlie

On 19 Mar 2003 13:22:22 GMT, David Patnaude <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just bought a new Cannondale R900 in the fall with the CAAD5 frame. I have ridden it less that
>200 miles due to the winter and weather c
Member Help Community Leader

Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> If you are still uncomfortable about it, ask your LBS to have the cannondale rep take a look at
> it.. he will tell you if it is a problem or not... I suspect that it is not a problem/risk. Our
> local cannondale rep is terrific and will check things our for us without any hassles.
>
> charlie

I was at the shop last night and they said that it is not a problem since it is in the middle of the
seat stay rather than out towards the ends where it would be more of a problem. They had another
Cannondale there with a nice crease across the top tube that looked much worse than my problem. The
rep had looked at that one the day before and said it was still ok. I'll just keep on riding and
keep an eye on it during cleanup times.

Dave P.