Cannondale CAAD5 or CAAD8 (or Trek 1500)

Fugazi

Apr 15, 2006
Hi folks,
I'm new here and I'm looking for some help on buying a bike.

I need to choose between 3 bikes ... and need advice ...
My weight is 90kg ... so ... maybe this may influence the choice ...

Cannondale CAAD5 with Ultegra
Cannondale CAAD8 with 105 and Rear Derailleur Ultegra
Trek 1500 with Ultegra

So, can anyone help me out ?
Which of the Cannondale frames is the best or stiffest ?
And what in comparison with the Trek ?

I will sure appriciate some help !!
Thanks,
Marc.

Fugazi said:
Hi folks,
I'm new here and I'm looking for some help on buying a bike.

I need to choose between 3 bikes ... and need advice ...
My weight is 90kg ... so ... maybe this may influence the choice ...

Cannondale CAAD5 with Ultegra
Cannondale CAAD8 with 105 and Rear Derailleur Ultegra
Trek 1500 with Ultegra

So, can anyone help me out ?
Which of the Cannondale frames is the best or stiffest ?
And what in comparison with the Trek ?

I will sure appriciate some help !!
Thanks,
Marc.

Go for the CAAD8; it's a great frame and you can always pick up better parts as you go along.

So, the CAAD8 seems to good ...
What's the mean difference between the CAAD5 and CAAD8 ?

And why not Trek ?

Sorry, I'm a 'newbee' concerning brands and Equipment ...

Has anyone some url's where I can find some info about equipment like how stiff a frame is, the weight, ...

Also, on the Cannondale site ... the weight of the CAAD5 and CAAD8 bikes or not listed ...

Thanks for your help !
Marc.

Fugazi said:
So, the CAAD8 seems to good ...
What's the mean difference between the CAAD5 and CAAD8 ?

And why not Trek ?

Sorry, I'm a 'newbee' concerning brands and Equipment ...

Has anyone some url's where I can find some info about equipment like how stiff a frame is, the weight, ...

Also, on the Cannondale site ... the weight of the CAAD5 and CAAD8 bikes or not listed ...

Thanks for your help !
Marc.

The main difference between the CAAD5 and CAAD8 is going to be weight and ride comfort. The CAAD8 is the lightest all-aluminum bike that Cannondale makes (I think), and it has bladed/bendy seatstays that make the rear-end more compliant vertically. It's the same argument that's been had all over these forums: ultimately it's the rider and not the bike that makes the most difference. That said, the CAAD8 is a better frame.

As for why to buy a 'dale over a Trek, I think that Cannondale really sort of latched onto Alu and worked at perfecting those frames, so they're beautifuly put together and there's a lot of experience that has gone into making them (especially the later models, like the CAAD8).

For weight, I don't know where you can find that kind of info, but I can tell you that my 56cm CAAD7 frame, with headset and Slice Ultra fork (carbon fork, Alu dropouts and steerer) weighs about 1900 grams. The CAAD8 is only about 30 grams lighter than the 7, but you'd get a lighter fork, I'm sure. Incidentally, I'm willing to part with that frame if anyone is interested, as I just bought an R3...

So, it seems to be that the CAAD8 is the best ... :)

Strange that the Trek doesn't receive much votes in favor.
It visited 4 shops and everywhere they said the Trek 1500 was the bike they sold the most ...

No problem ... for me ... the CAAD8 is a serious candidate ! ;)