Cannondale F300 Bottom Bracket???

northernvintage

Mar 27, 2004
Hi there -

I have an older F300 bike - maybe 5 years old. I need to purchase a bottom bracket for it but do not know the size to order. Does anyone out there know?

I also have to purchase a crankset as I'm upgrading the works to Deore XT.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by northernvintage
Hi there -

I have an older F300 bike - maybe 5 years old. I need to purchase a bottom bracket for it but do not know the size to order. Does anyone out there know?

I also have to purchase a crankset as I'm upgrading the works to Deore XT.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
it's english thread.Measure the Frame BB shell width to see if it is 68 or 73mm wide.You also have to match BB spindle length and type to the crank you are using.

If you buy a 2004 Shimano XT crankset, the question is academic -- that crank has an integrated BB unit. :) Buying the older XT crankset (and the separate BB) is significantly cheaper though.

My Cannondale mountain bike has a 109.5mm BB spindle, which is really weird as that's a normal road width, not MTB. I am guessing that it's because of the Cannondale crank that's also on it, and not particular to the frame having a weird chainline or something.

Cannondale frames are typically 68mm shell, English thread -- I don't know of any that aren't like that, but maybe they went through a "weird" phase :p

Yeh, My F300 is still going strong after all these years, :) Great classic bike, I upgraded last year to Shimano XT and after plenty of research fitted the XT splined 68 x 113mm bottom bracket with no problems with the chain line.

Still going strong. :cool:

Cheers