Cannondale Gloves and numbness

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jiyang Chen, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiyang Chen

Jiyang Chen Guest

A few days ago, I bought the Cannondale Mesa Mesh glove. I did a 30 mile ride and my hands started
    to feel numb and started to tingle a bit. Before, I have never experience numbness in my hands
    because I don't wear gloves. Are the gloves causing my hands to go numb? I don't think the glove
    is too small for me, because the next size up is too loose. Anybody experiencing numbness with
    these gloves?

Jiyang

Tags:

2. >A few days ago, I bought the Cannondale Mesa Mesh glove. I did a 30 mile ride and my hands started
    >to feel numb and started to tingle a bit. Before, I have never experience numbness in my hands
    >because I don't wear gloves. Are the gloves causing my hands to go numb?

Wearing gloves doesn't cause hand numbness. On the other hand, it doesn't prevent it either if you
    don't position your hands and wrists correctly on long rides.

Try not to bend your wrists and/or place weight across your palm in such a way as to not put
    pressure on the nerves. The best way to do this is to carry your weight on the pad at the base of
    your thumb rather than across the palm.

Flex your elbows, not your wrists to alleviate road shock.

Take a look at an anatomy text to see where the nerves are routed and adjust accordingly.

This should take care of it, you don't sit on your goolies.

That said, it's possible to do long term damage to your nerves with repeated cycling in an
    unsuitable position.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

3. >A few days ago, I bought the Cannondale Mesa Mesh glove. I did a 30 mile ride and my hands started
    >to feel numb and started to tingle a bit. Before, I have never experience numbness in my hands
    >because I don't wear gloves. Are the gloves causing my hands to go numb?

Wearing gloves doesn't cause hand numbness. On the other hand, it doesn't prevent it either if you
    don't position your hands and wrists correctly on long rides.

Try not to bend your wrists and/or place weight across your palm in such a way as to put pressure on
    the nerves. The best way to do this is to carry your weight on the pad at the base of your thumb
    rather than across the palm.

Flex your elbows, not your wrists to alleviate road shock.

Take a look at an anatomy text to see where the nerves are routed and adjust accordingly.

This should take care of it, you don't sit on your goolies.

That said, it's possible to do long term damage to your nerves with repeated cycling in an
    unsuitable position.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

4. > A few days ago, I bought the Cannondale Mesa Mesh glove. I did a 30 mile ride and my hands started
    > to feel numb and started to tingle a bit.
    Before,
    > I have never experience numbness in my hands because I don't wear gloves. Are the gloves causing
    > my hands to go numb? I don't think the glove is
    too
    > small for me, because the next size up is too loose. Anybody experiencing numbness with
    > these gloves?

A glove that works great for one person doesn't always do well for another. Could be something about
    the padding that just doesn't suit you; in my case, I have hand issues (usually a bit of pain, not
    numbness) when I use gloves with thick padding. It seems to bunch up and dig in.

It could be that a slight readjustment of your handlebar tilt will take care of the problem though.
    Carry an allen wrench with you on your next ride and play around a bit, seeing if you can find a
    neutral position that your hand feels comfortable in.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.