Cannondale Head Shock SI trouble

RubberSideDown

Nov 17, 2003
Does anyone know anything about the Cannondale head shock forks? I was setting up for a ride today and noticed that there was no air what so ever in the shock from the last time I rode which I normally ride at about 190PSI. I pumped it up and early in the ride I noticed that it started getting squishy so I locked it out. It appears that it has a leak (gee, really?!?!). Is there anything I can do for a quick fix myself? Any Troubleshooting ideas? Or should I just drop it off at the bike shop?

Thanks in advanced for any feedback

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

As far as I can tell, and I've done a lot of research, if you don't have about $150 worth of specialized tools from Cannondale, and easy access to parts from Cannondale, there isn't much you can do yourself.

Seals usually go bad either from wear or from dirt which accelerates wear. Use the boot (I've actually seen posts here advocating doing away with boots! - I wonder what they're smoking...) and if it is cut or has any other holes, replace it, clean and lube under it periodically, and you should get long life from the shock.

In the meantime, take it in for service...

TD

tyler_derden said:
As far as I can tell, and I've done a lot of research, if you don't have about $150 worth of specialized tools from Cannondale, and easy access to parts from Cannondale, there isn't much you can do yourself.

Seals usually go bad either from wear or from dirt which accelerates wear. Use the boot (I've actually seen posts here advocating doing away with boots! - I wonder what they're smoking...) and if it is cut or has any other holes, replace it, clean and lube under it periodically, and you should get long life from the shock.

In the meantime, take it in for service...

TD

Ok, my next question is this; Will I cause more problems if I use it as is and keep it locked out until I get to the shop? Thoughts?

RubberSideDown said:
Ok, my next question is this; Will I cause more problems if I use it as is and keep it locked out until I get to the shop? Thoughts?
Maybe. It could end up being the difference between the shock cartridge just needing a new seal or two, and an entire rebuild.

I've put a lot of miles on my origional headshock (the first year delta V with curved fork legs). It's still holding air but got really rusty feeling turning left and right. So I need bearings at least. Plan to put in shop soon, tomorrow probably.

I think the shock lasted a long time because I always made sure there was a lot of air in it (sounds like you did the same) and zip-tied the shift cables to the head tube just above the bottom headset piece so they didn't rub on the boot. The other headshock bikes I've seen, the boots were damaged by the cables.

RubberSideDown said:

If it is locked out I don't think it will hurt it any. The lock-out is mechanical and prevents the shock from moving. If it isn't moving, there isn't any additional stress or wear taking place.

TD

It's still possible to blow seals in the shock cartridge if you hit something really hard while locked out.

As such I'd be tending towards riding light trails without anything serious, and keep off kerb-hopping etc. until you get it fixed.

I love coming here more and more. The regulars here do know their stuff. I dropped my bike off yesterday and they looked into it. They said that it may need the cartridge seals replaced and they hope thats all. I was told that if it comes down to an overhaul, they will ship it back to Cannondale for that. Fortunately we are only a couple hundred miles from the factory.

Then today, I log on and find the same information coming back from folks like yourselves. Thanks a million guys. You ROCK!

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

take it to your cannondale dealer. most likely it just needs to have a seal replaced somewhere inside it.

worst case scenario: your fork would have to go back to the cannondale factory, in which case many bike shops will provide you with a "loaner" to use in the meantime.

ah, nevermind. you already took it in. now i look foolish.

tell us when you get it back :eek:

I have had a F900 hard tail for 4 years and ride it on dirt about 500 miles a season and about 2000 on road with slicks. My head shock was serviced in Moab by the factory rep in Oct,2000.for free. Nice but It was topping out and I hoped this machanic could fix my problem but no luck. I took it to the dealer the following season and they shipped it back to Cannondale and it has performed flawlessly since. It works hard off road and on road I usually have it locked off. Good luck.