Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Cannondale Headshok Repair Question

Started by babock · · Last activity · 4 posts · 2,215 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 July 2004
Last activity
4 July 2004
Original author
babock
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,215
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My wife has a 2001 F900 with the Headshok. A year ago we had the
    cartridge replaced after the shock got stuck in the lockout mode. One
    year later, it appears that the shock as lost all of its oil and has
    no damping other than what the internal spring provides.

    1) Is it possible to repair/replace this cartridge myself? What tools
    are neccesary

    2) How do I determine the correct model cartridge?

    3) Is it possible to just add more oil. I realize this will be a never
    ending battle but I would be willing to add more oil every few months
    instead of paying for a new cartridge.

    I went to the tech section on the Cannondale site. It sure doesn't
    seem to provide much insight into the maintance of these things. Must
    not wany consumers to touch them!!!\

    Thanks in advance.

    Bruce

  2. Babock said:

    My wife has a 2001 F900 with the Headshok. A year ago we had the
    cartridge replaced after the shock got stuck in the lockout mode. One
    year later, it appears that the shock as lost all of its oil and has no
    damping other than what the internal spring provides.
    1) Is it possible to repair/replace this cartridge myself? What tools
    are neccesary
    2) How do I determine the correct model cartridge?
    3) Is it possible to just add more oil. I realize this will be a never
    ending battle but I would be willing to add more oil every few months
    instead of paying for a new cartridge.
    I went to the tech section on the Cannondale site. It sure doesn't seem
    to provide much insight into the maintance of these things. Must not
    wany consumers to touch them!!!\
    Thanks in advance.
    Bruce

    They want you to believe it’s bulletproof

    😄

    http://www.mountainbikemilitia.com/stuff/headshok.html

    --

  3. the oil is the damping...

    it doesn't matter what the cartridge model is
    you will need a pin spanner to fit the top cap, a shock pump, and the hard
    one to get is a Cannondale cartridge tool. You can only get this from
    Cannondale AFAIK. You'll also likely need some seals - also from a
    Cannondale dealer. If you can get friendly enough with the dealer to get
    the tool and seals you might as well tr and get a copy of his workshop
    manual too. It won't be a never ending battle if the seals are good and the
    cartridge is put together properly.. How often is it ridden BTW - seal
    failure is more likely on an infrequently ridden bike as the oil bathes the
    seals and preserves them; then again, as you will find out if you get it
    apart, it's pretty easy to damage seals during installation.

    Nick

    "babock" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My wife has a 2001 F900 with the Headshok. A year ago we had the
    cartridge replaced after the shock got stuck in the lockout mode. One
    year later, it appears that the shock as lost all of its oil and has
    no damping other than what the internal spring provides.

    1) Is it possible to repair/replace this cartridge myself? What tools
    are neccesary

    2) How do I determine the correct model cartridge?

    3) Is it possible to just add more oil. I realize this will be a never
    ending battle but I would be willing to add more oil every few months
    instead of paying for a new cartridge.

    I went to the tech section on the Cannondale site. It sure doesn't
    seem to provide much insight into the maintance of these things. Must
    not wany consumers to touch them!!!\

    Thanks in advance.

    Bruce

  4. cannondale used to have the headshok service manual online... I looked
    but couldn't find it... however, I have a copy if you want it... send
    me an email.

    You DON'T need a new cartridge... very unusual to need a
    replacement... usually just need to replace the 0-rings and replace
    the oil.

    you will need a special tool called the 'castle" tool to remove the
    cartridge, along with some park spanner wrenches.

    Unless you are familiar with the headshok, I recommend that you don't
    do the repair yourself... the factory has a service group... sent the
    fork to them and they will replace the seals and return it to you.
    Cost anywhere between $60-90. .. Or find a friend that has done one
    before and watch and learn so you can do it next time.

    these shocks are extremely reliable and can run without service for a
    long time ( usually anyway).

    Back in the old days, cannondale sold a video tape demonstrating the
    removal, servicing, and replacement procedure. I bought one and it was
    invaluable. Don't think they are available any longer.

    charlie

    (babock) said:

    My wife has a 2001 F900 with the Headshok. A year ago we had the
    cartridge replaced after the shock got stuck in the lockout mode. One
    year later, it appears that the shock as lost all of its oil and has
    no damping other than what the internal spring provides.

    1) Is it possible to repair/replace this cartridge myself? What tools
    are neccesary

    2) How do I determine the correct model cartridge?

    3) Is it possible to just add more oil. I realize this will be a never
    ending battle but I would be willing to add more oil every few months
    instead of paying for a new cartridge.

    I went to the tech section on the Cannondale site. It sure doesn't
    seem to provide much insight into the maintance of these things. Must
    not wany consumers to touch them!!!\

    Thanks in advance.

    Bruce

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.