Cannondale Hollowgram crank - Double to Triple swap

MalcolmS

Nov 2, 2003
Has anyone out there swapped a Cannondale Hollowgram double crank setup to a triple on a CAAD 6 frame road bike? We have serious hills around here and I like the close ratios plus the granny gears that a triple setup provides.

I know this is a straightforward swap with Shimano bits but will changing the Cannondale chainring spider to a triple, fitting the longer triple crank shaft and swapping the front/rear derailleurs also work with the Hollowgram items? I'm particularly concerned about clearance between the inner chain ring and the rear stay or other potential gotcha's.

If it is do-able then I'll get the parts for Christmas, if not I'll put the money toward gym work to build better leg muscles;)

Thanks.

Originally posted by MalcolmS
Has anyone out there swapped a Cannondale Hollowgram double crank setup to a triple on a CAAD 6 frame road bike? We have serious hills around here and I like the close ratios plus the granny gears that a triple setup provides.

I know this is a straightforward swap with Shimano bits but will changing the Cannondale chainring spider to a triple, fitting the longer triple crank shaft and swapping the front/rear derailleurs also work with the Hollowgram items? I'm particularly concerned about clearance between the inner chain ring and the rear stay or other potential gotcha's.

If it is do-able then I'll get the parts for Christmas, if not I'll put the money toward gym work to build better leg muscles;)

Thanks.
Do you think Cdale would sell the whole mess if it was going to trash the chainstays? I don't even see a hollowgram triple setup in the 03 catalogue.

You can get put a triple on there. You need the mtb spindle, spider and chainrings, you can keep the same bearings and arms.

You are looking at a hefty chunk of change though, hollowgram parts are expensive., but less expensive then buying a new crankset complete for $600...

Thanks for all the feedback. I had reckoned it wouldn't be cheap but it is good to know that the MTB triple parts fit and that Cannondale have done it themselves with the Scalpel team bike.

Malcolm

Originally posted by MalcolmS
Thanks for all the feedback. I had reckoned it wouldn't be cheap but it is good to know that the MTB triple parts fit and that Cannondale have done it themselves with the Scalpel team bike.

Malcolm
You want 44/32/22 chainrings on a road bike? ?The BCD on the spiders is different.

That is true, you will have to get some chainrings for the smaller mtb bolt diameter, (I think it's 94?), anyways, most shops can get them from distributors like Quality, etc...

Perhaps an easier solution would be to put on an XT rear deraileur and a 12-28, 12-32 cassette?

Originally posted by ceeberjeebers
That is true, you will have to get some chainrings for the smaller mtb bolt diameter, (I think it's 94?), anyways, most shops can get them from distributors like Quality, etc...
Even then there is a limit to the largest size you can use,46,maybe 48. And there is no guarantee the spindle length for that crank would even allow clearance for rings on a road frame.

Aha! I didn't know that the chainring BCD on road and mountain bikes was different and thus I was going to be limited to maybe 48 on the big ring. I can't say I'd be hapy with that.

I've had a look through the Cannondale site and can't see any 'triple' road bike using the Hollowgram parts. I guess there isn't a Cannondale Hollowgram spider that takes road rings so I'm back to gym work on my legs!

Boudreaux, Ceeberjeebers, thanks for all your input.

Malcolm