Cannondale Ironman 800 tri bike. is it any good?

takrawspiker

Jan 3, 2004
I am looking at byuing a new tri bike. This is my second season, and i'm looking for something that will last me. This bike was suggested to me as a less expensive option. does anyone know if this bike is any good.

What kind of a question is that? Would you be happy with the answers you received from that question
anyway? Do you want a simple "yes" or "no"? What good would that do you?

Do you think a reputable company with a long history of making tri bikes would knowingly put a "bad"
bike out there to trash its reputation in this niche market? What would constitute "good" or "bad"
to you, while we're at it?

Is good; pretty? durable? comfortable? lightweight? aerodynamic? adjustable? inexpensive? a hill
climber? steep seat tube angle? short wheelbase? JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO YOU MORON?

How the fug are we supposed to tell you anything about a bike if you ask a stupid fugging question
like this?

My guess is the bike is too good for you, and I wouldn't want to own a Cannondale, but I used to
ride with a top pro who kicked my ass on one several times per week.

You know Old Timer, you are an ass hole. There is no need to reply in that manner. I suggest you
take your miserable self elsewhere. Just because you are old and unhappy is no reason to take it out
on someone else.

As far as a Cannondale goes, I personally don't care for them, but for the price they are ok. I
spent much more money on a bike though. I suggest taking one out for a ride before you spend the
money. I was not comfortable on the bike.

Respectfully, Curt

"Old Timer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What kind of a question is that? Would you be happy with the answers you received from that
> question anyway? Do you want a simple "yes" or "no"? What good would that do you?
>
> Do you think a reputable company with a long history of making tri bikes would knowingly put a
> "bad" bike out there to trash its reputation in this niche market? What would constitute "good" or
> "bad" to you, while we're at it?
>
> Is good; pretty? durable? comfortable? lightweight? aerodynamic? adjustable? inexpensive? a hill
> climber? steep seat tube angle? short wheelbase? JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO YOU MORON?
>
> How the fug are we supposed to tell you anything about a bike if you ask a stupid fugging question
> like this?
>
> My guess is the bike is too good for you, and I wouldn't want to own a Cannondale, but I used to
> ride with a top pro who kicked my ass on one several times per week.

You might want to reduce the caffeine intake a bit.

On 5 Feb 2004 03:55:01 -0800, Old Timer <[email protected]> wrote:

> What kind of a question is that? Would you be happy with the answers you received from that
> question anyway? Do you want a simple "yes" or "no"? What good would that do you?
>
> Do you think a reputable company with a long history of making tri bikes would knowingly put a
> "bad" bike out there to trash its reputation in this niche market? What would constitute "good" or
> "bad" to you, while we're at it?
>
> Is good; pretty? durable? comfortable? lightweight? aerodynamic? adjustable? inexpensive? a hill
> climber? steep seat tube angle? short wheelbase? JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO YOU MORON?
>
> How the fug are we supposed to tell you anything about a bike if you ask a stupid fugging question
> like this?
>
> My guess is the bike is too good for you, and I wouldn't want to own a Cannondale, but I used to
> ride with a top pro who kicked my ass on one several times per week.

Originally posted by Old Timer
What kind of a question is that? Would you be happy with the answers you received from that question
anyway? Do you want a simple "yes" or "no"? What good would that do you?

Do you think a reputable company with a long history of making tri bikes would knowingly put a "bad"
bike out there to trash its reputation in this niche market? What would constitute "good" or "bad"
to you, while we're at it?

Is good; pretty? durable? comfortable? lightweight? aerodynamic? adjustable? inexpensive? a hill
climber? steep seat tube angle? short wheelbase? JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO YOU MORON?

How the fug are we supposed to tell you anything about a bike if you ask a stupid fugging question
like this?

My guess is the bike is too good for you, and I wouldn't want to own a Cannondale, but I used to
ride with a top pro who kicked my ass on one several times per week.

I don't what the hell your problem is. I'm just trying to get some advice on a bike, because i am looking to pruchase a bike, and my friend who is helping look found this one because he thought it was more in my price range.

I've been looking at the argon18 mercury, but my friend who was helping me look suggested the cannondale, because he was looking by price and not quality.

Originally posted by Curt
You know Old Timer, you are an ass hole. There is no need to reply in that manner. I suggest you
take your miserable self elsewhere. Just because you are old and unhappy is no reason to take it out
on someone else.

As far as a Cannondale goes, I personally don't care for them, but for the price they are ok. I
spent much more money on a bike though. I suggest taking one out for a ride before you spend the
money. I was not comfortable on the bike.

Respectfully, Curt

Here are 2 that sould be in your "price range" (it really would help to know at least that) that you may not know about since they can be hard to find.

1. Guru Cron'alu (I personally ride a Guru and so did Simon to a gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics). Options make a HUGE difference with the bike, so plan upgrades wisely. Also, Guru will custom make your frame (for the same price) if necessary so it is absolutely imperative that you get a good fitting (no matter what bike you end up with)

www.guru-bikes.com

2. Felt S32 - aero guy Jim Felt makes some nice bikes for little $

Also, check out this months Triathlete mag for some gear reviews.

When you say inmy price range, are you refering to the same price raneg as the argon18, or the cannondale iron800?

gwydion <[email protected]> wrote in
news:eek:[email protected]:

> You might want to reduce the caffeine intake a bit.
>
> On 5 Feb 2004 03:55:01 -0800, Old Timer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What kind of a question is that? Would you be happy with the answers you received from that
>> question anyway? Do you want a simple "yes" or "no"? What good would that do you?
>>
>> Do you think a reputable company with a long history of making tri bikes would knowingly put a
>> "bad" bike out there to trash its reputation in this niche market? What would constitute "good"
>> or "bad" to you, while we're at it?
>>
>> Is good; pretty? durable? comfortable? lightweight? aerodynamic? adjustable? inexpensive? a hill
>> climber? steep seat tube angle? short wheelbase? JUST WHAT IS GOOD TO YOU MORON?
>>
>> How the fug are we supposed to tell you anything about a bike if you ask a stupid fugging
>> question like this?
>>
>> My guess is the bike is too good for you, and I wouldn't want to own a Cannondale, but I used to
>> ride with a top pro who kicked my ass on one several times per week.
>

I think it's the standard winter lack of training stress. Happens here about this time of year.

Originally posted by takrawspiker
When you say inmy price range, are you refering to the same price raneg as the argon18, or the cannondale iron800?

OK now, get real. Do you want ME to research how much these bikes actually cost! How about just putting down some actually numbers here if you really want some help.

If you have $3000 to spend: you could just get a real nice set of Zipp Z4's and find a used huffy for $1. Should be fast, right?

Geez - :p

Originally posted by rroof
OK now, get real. Do you want ME to research how much these bikes actually cost! How about just putting down some actually numbers here if you really want some help.

If you have $3000 to spend: you could just get a real nice set of Zipp Z4's and find a used huffy for $1. Should be fast, right?

Geez - :p

just asking if you knew that's all.
thanks for the help though.

I am in Canada, so there aren't very any dealers around for alot of the american or european manufacturers. I had looked at the felt and guru bikes a few months ago, but there are no dealers anywhere near me. I am looking to spend around 2000-3000$ U.S.
I personally would like something that will last me a few years. I had my dad helping me, but he doesn't know much about bikes, and he's looking mostly at the price.
that's how the Cannondale Ironman800 came up. i have been lookign at the Argon18 mercury for a few months, but i found a sweet deal on it that I can only get for a shor time here, which got me looking very seriously at this bike, and threw the whole bike hunt into high gear.

Originally posted by takrawspiker
I am in Canada, so there aren't very any dealers around for alot of the american or european manufacturers. I had looked at the felt and guru bikes a few months ago, but there are no dealers anywhere near me. I am looking to spend around 2000-3000$ U.S.
I personally would like something that will last me a few years. I had my dad helping me, but he doesn't know much about bikes, and he's looking mostly at the price.
that's how the Cannondale Ironman800 came up. i have been lookign at the Argon18 mercury for a few months, but i found a sweet deal on it that I can only get for a shor time here, which got me looking very seriously at this bike, and threw the whole bike hunt into high gear.

OK then, 2-3K U.S. You do know that Guru bikes are made in Canada, right? Made just down the street in Montreal from Cervelo. For a good tri bike, it is much more important that you have a reputable/good shop that can take some measurements, fit you, watch you, etc. I had about 10 measurements of me, then ordered the bike, then they placed my Guru in a trainer, then spent another 40 minutes or so with seat height, crank-arm length, stem length, etc. Heck, I was tired after spinning on the trainer during my fitting! And I am an experienced triathlete, but changing bikes is......

More important if you are in the middle of nowhere Alberta or something to stick with whatevere YOUR shop has and go from there (i.e. likely Kestrel or Cervelo since they are the most common). You could get a nice Kestrel Talon if you like all carbon fiber for that range, or a Cervelo P2K if you like stiff aluminum and aero (both of which I would prefer over the Cannondale). I have not ridden the new Cannondale, but I did check it out at the expo at Ironman Hawaii (Kona) in October and I was not impressed.

i do know that guru are made in canada yes.I'm just outside of Vancouver, and i have not been able to find any dealers anywhere around here.

So now this is about me.

Every third post here is from a moron who hasn't taken the time to do any work on his or her own
beforehand. Every fourth is from someone selling something and every fifth is **** spam. The
questions are even more ludicrous. "Is this bike any good?" - you got a way to answer that is worth
the time it takes to reply? Why would you even WANT replies from these kinds of questions is beyond
me. A little googling around will get you WAY more info than the responses here on RST.

Here are some other good ones I can recall;

How can I get faster? Where are the hot tri babes? Should I rest this injury? Will my lungs freeze
in this cold air? Can I run in the rain? Are these shoes any good? Is this is a good Ironman? Why no
discussion of Steve Locke?

(just kidding about that last one)

Too much caffeine? Nah, I just get tired of idiots. Asshole? Been called worse. Gimme what ya got.

alright old timer, maybe it wasn't the best way i could have worded my search.
I have done a bunch of research online, and a little bit in a bunch of different shops, but reaserching prices and what the bikes look like online will not tell you how they perform ect.
i was just trying to see if this bike was worth even looking at.

When this was a real newsgroup you would have been corrected by everyone here for a comment like
that. The proper newsgroup method is say "Mike Schwing's posts are those of an asshole".

Glenn, if you're going to call me names, at least do it properly. I've decided that nice and flully
respones to moronic questions only yield more of same. Get used to my new approach, you'll be seeing
more of it.

"Glenn Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Schwing (old timer) is an asshole.

"Old Timer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> When this was a real newsgroup you would have been corrected by everyone here for a comment like
> that. The proper newsgroup method is say "Mike Schwing's posts are those of an asshole".
>
> Glenn, if you're going to call me names, at least do it properly. I've decided that nice and
> flully respones to moronic questions only yield more of same. Get used to my new approach, you'll
> be seeing more of it.
>
> "Glenn Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Mike Schwing (old timer) is an asshole.

"flully" You are not a asshole, just a dumbass.