Cannondale Lefty recall

Tony Raven

Guest
Lefty forks in recall notice
06:45, May 24th 2007 by Carlton Reid
Cannondale has said Lefty Speed Carbon SL and Lefty Speed DLR 2 forks
are subject to a recall because of an assembly error.
Cannondale is voluntarily issuing a Safety Recall Notice. The products
affected include any 2007 and some 2008 mountain bikes equipped with
either Lefty Speed Carbon SL or Lefty Speed DLR 2 forks.

“Unfortunately there have already been injuries due to this issue. We
strongly urge anyone that has purchased one of these bikes to contact
their dealer immediately and have your bike inspected,” said Chris Peck
VP R&D at Cannondale.

Cannondale has learned of an error in the assembly process of these
forks which may allow the telescope assembly of the fork to completely
separate.

“The origin of the problem is an improper application of a thread
locking compound to the damping cartridge. The result is that the lower
half of the assembly could potentially unthread and slide out of the
upper sleeve,”

“It’s important to note that the product design itself is not flawed nor
is the manufacturing process. This is an assembly error. Cannondale
Lefty product has been in our line for nearly a decade. It is
race-proven at the World Cup level and has passed the highest testing
standards in the industry when manufactured correctly,” said Peck.

The Safety Recall Notice will be distributed to all Authorized
Cannondale Dealers in conjunction with specific service procedures.
Cannondale has put appropriate control procedures in place to ensure
quality prior to all future bicycle assembly.
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/27219/Lefty-forks-in-recall-notice
--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

There was a Halfords child bike seat recall in the paper yesterday too

On Thu, 24 May, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

[Quoting canondale]
> It's important to note that the product design itself is not flawed
> nor is the manufacturing process. This is an assembly error.

Eh? It's not a flaw with the manufacture process, it was just
manufactured wrong?

One wonders what would qualify as a manufacturing process flaw, if
not actually assembling it correctly is not.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

POHB wrote on 24/05/2007 10:27 +0100:
> There was a Halfords child bike seat recall in the paper yesterday too

You got my hopes up for a second there. I thought they were recalling
Halfords ;-)

--

On May 24, 4:58 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> "It's important to note that the product design itself is not flawed nor
> is the manufacturing process. This is an assembly error. Cannondale
> Lefty product has been in our line for nearly a decade. It is
> race-proven at the World Cup level and has passed the highest testing
> standards in the industry when manufactured correctly," said Peck.

Of course, Cannondale's "highest testing standards" are legendary. Who
can forget the "disk and quick release test", where they simulated a
weak 10 year old lightly dabbing the brake lever as he rolled along a
smooth road, while a 250lb gorilla sat on his shoulders to stop the
wheel from being forced down in the dropouts:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/cannondale.html

James

On 24 May, 18:25, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [Quoting canondale]
>
> > It's important to note that the product design itself is not flawed
> > nor is the manufacturing process. This is an assembly error.

> Eh? It's not a flaw with the manufacture process, it was just
> manufactured wrong?
>
> One wonders what would qualify as a manufacturing process flaw, if
> not actually assembling it correctly is not.
>
> regards, Ian SMith
> --
> |\ /| no .sig
> |o o|
> |/ \|

Of course, if they had a second fork then it is unlikely anyone would
have got injured.