cannondale or gary fisher?

I'd take the Cannondale. It'll probably be expensive, they usually are, but they are incredibly well made and it'll be very light. Worth noting that the Badboy doesn't use suspension, which'll make it lighter, but could be an issue if you plan on taking it over anything seriously bumpy. But for dirt, gravel and tarmac it'll rule. :)

The Fisher looks more upright and more comfort-than-speed to me. But far far more importantly it uses 29 inch wheels! That alone would send most people screaming from the shop. This is Gary Fisher's little baby at the moment, and although there are advantages, like rolling better over bumps, and maintaining speed better when they're rolling, they are massive downsides too. They take a lot more energy to wind up to speed, they turn more slowly because of the increased inertia, and they can cause serious geometry problems unless you want a huge frame. But more significantly almost no-one except Fisher support this wheel, and they need special kit to fit them. So replacing tyres, inner tubes, wheels, forks, all turn into a huge headache. At the moment I don't think anyone really believes this standard will take off, so I'd run a mile if I was you :)

Hope this helps

When I said they turn more slowly, I meant they steer more slowly :)

if your gonna get a gary fisher, get one with standard size wheels. never in my life have i walked into a shop and seen 29 inch tubes and tires. i did see a tube once..... but it was only one

I've never owned one of Fishers' 29" bikes, but I've spent plenty of time on a 29" roadbike.

If you are a big guy (over 6') don't automatically rule out the Fisher. Ride them both.

Personally, I don't like Cannondales, although I do own one...

ridden both, but want to be burried with my cannondale. i love their frames (little on the stiff side) and the bad boy looks sooooo cool :D

If you are just commuting, then you probably should get the Cannondale, but due to other replies, I am compelled to defend the 29" wheel.

Background (go to the next paragraph if you're short on time): I own a Gary Fisher Mt. Tam_29 (2002) -- took a leap of faith (odd, since I'm in the "don't give a rip" category w/ respect to religion). I use mine for XC riding in alpine and desert terrain. Climbing is a dream w/ this bike, and I've ridden w/ FS riders that have been bucked-off on the line I took. We have LOTS of tight switchback terrain in the mountains around SLC, Utah, and my 29er does great. When you first get on one, it feels different, but you get used to it, and then you never go back.

Have to disagree w/ Frey about some aspects of the 29" wheel he mentioned. Sure, acceleration is a little slower, but if you aren't a racer, then who cares? And I imagine getting fork would be a minor headache (as far as I know, only Marzocchi and Manitou make 29" compatible shocks). Actually, if you get the Fisher, I'd be interested in learning how the Manitou performs.

The 29" mtbs are easier to maintain than they sound. The 29" wheel is actually a 700c wheel (29" refers to the inflated tire's outer diameter). Here's what I know about it:

Spokes: My LBS uses cyclocross wheel spokes to repair broken spokes -- they are about the same price as mtb spokes.

Rims: If you don't care about weight, you can use a 32 or 36 spoke 700c touring rim for replacement. If you really care about weight, then go with Bontrager Race Lites after you've trashed your 1st pair.

Tires: You really aren't that limited -- IRC Mythos and Notos are both great tires for hard pack and slightly sloppy conditions. Also, WTB, Kenda, Bontrager, Maxxis, Schwalbe, and Innova make tires for 29ers. I spent US$54 for my IRC Mythos (kevlar bead) tires, which isn't too bad.

Tubes: They make specialty tubes (700c x 52) that run for about US$7-8 a pop, but you can substitute w/ a 700c x 38-45 (I'm running one right now).

Frames: I think Structure is right about rider height. I am probably near the lower limit at 5'-9.5" (~176 cm). But I love that Genesis geometry. It's the most comfortable, confident-descending XC (hardtail) mtb I've ever ridden.

Sorry for the ramble, but I had to defend my bike's honor. Regards,

James

Originally posted by frey
I'd take the Cannondale. It'll probably be expensive, they usually are, but they are incredibly well made and it'll be very light. Worth noting that the Badboy doesn't use suspension, which'll make it lighter, but could be an issue if you plan on taking it over anything seriously bumpy. But for dirt, gravel and tarmac it'll rule. :)

The Fisher looks more upright and more comfort-than-speed to me. But far far more importantly it uses 29 inch wheels! That alone would send most people screaming from the shop. This is Gary Fisher's little baby at the moment, and although there are advantages, like rolling better over bumps, and maintaining speed better when they're rolling, they are massive downsides too. They take a lot more energy to wind up to speed, they turn more slowly because of the increased inertia, and they can cause serious geometry problems unless you want a huge frame. But more significantly almost no-one except Fisher support this wheel, and they need special kit to fit them. So replacing tyres, inner tubes, wheels, forks, all turn into a huge headache. At the moment I don't think anyone really believes this standard will take off, so I'd run a mile if I was you :)

Hope this helps

Another biker who has not obviously tried a 29er. I will leave you in the woods. Once I went to a 29er, I left many a riders in the dust, they keep telling me I am in shape and I told them it was due to switching from a weeny circus bike to a real bike. enuff said..

On gravel roads the 29 inch wheels will hold speed really well, and the suspension will smooth out the bumps. Contrary to the other people who replies I think you should go with the 29er's.

Thanks for all the advice folks! I took the GF for a spin recently and I'm pretty much sold on the 29er, just trying to save the funds now. I thought I'd have it sooner. but alas I've had to borrow a friends rickety ol 12 speed raleigh racing bike to ride to work these past 3 months, through rain and snow, Should have the GF in another month or so.

Excellent-

Another convert to the church of 29! We will slowly spread the word until the world recognizes its awesome power. And we'll roll over any dissenters:D! Enjoy your 29er -- it will serve you well both on and off road.

Regards,
JMc