Cannondale or Giant road bikes

jes.sandiegoca

Guest
Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800 and
will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3. Any
comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
recommend? Thanks for any input.

Chris

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:38:32 -0800, "jes.sandiegoca"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800 and
>will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3. Any
>comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
>recommend? Thanks for any input.
>
>Chris

You'll get better responses sometimes if you post a link to the bike(s)
you're asking about. Not everyone knows what those look like, or the
componentry, esp the new 05 bikes.

Searching on Cannondale 800 gives me this, couldn't really find the road
bike:
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RA8.html

Giant TCR3:
http://www.cyclande.com/Images/TCR3T.jpg

See yours?

-B

Here are the three links. Anyone own one of these? What's been your
experience?

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RR7T.html
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/ce/flavor/images/4RR8TSLV.jpg
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/previews/2004/f04-TCR-C3-CF-flat_r.jpg

"Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:38:32 -0800, "jes.sandiegoca"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800 and
>>will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3.
>>Any
>>comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
>>recommend? Thanks for any input.
>>
>>Chris

> You'll get better responses sometimes if you post a link to the bike(s)
> you're asking about. Not everyone knows what those look like, or the
> componentry, esp the new 05 bikes.
>
> Searching on Cannondale 800 gives me this, couldn't really find the road
> bike:
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RA8.html
>
> Giant TCR3:
> http://www.cyclande.com/Images/TCR3T.jpg
>
> See yours?
>
> -B

These three links might be a little better/bigger. The Giant is selling for
$1,599. Both the Cannondales are selling for $1,199.

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2004/f04-TCR-C3-CF-flat_r.jpg
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/ce/images/large/4RR8TSLV.jpg
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/CUSA/large/5rr7tgry.jpg

"jes.sandiegoca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Here are the three links. Anyone own one of these? What's been your
> experience?
>

> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RR7T.html
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/ce/flavor/images/4RR8TSLV.jpg
> http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/previews/2004/f04-TCR-C3-CF-flat_r.jpg
>

> "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:38:32 -0800, "jes.sandiegoca"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800
>>>and
>>>will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3.
>>>Any
>>>comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
>>>recommend? Thanks for any input.
>>>
>>>Chris

>> You'll get better responses sometimes if you post a link to the bike(s)
>> you're asking about. Not everyone knows what those look like, or the
>> componentry, esp the new 05 bikes.
>>
>> Searching on Cannondale 800 gives me this, couldn't really find the road
>> bike:
>> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RA8.html
>>
>> Giant TCR3:
>> http://www.cyclande.com/Images/TCR3T.jpg
>>
>> See yours?
>>
>> -B

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:02:23 -0800, "jes.sandiegoca"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>These three links might be a little better/bigger. The Giant is selling for
>$1,599. Both the Cannondales are selling for $1,199.
>

>http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2004/f04-TCR-C3-CF-flat_r.jpg
>http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/ce/images/large/4RR8TSLV.jpg
>http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/CUSA/large/5rr7tgry.jpg

First, you don't want to 'top-post'. Make your replies at the bottom.

Second the pictures are good, but you want the web page that shows the
specs, like the one you did for the Cannondale.

I wish the company would give the type of frame and fork and not some
'gizmo' name like CAAD7 Optimo. It seems to be ultra-thin aluminum, but
hard to tell at first.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-45754

Here several guys discuss the durability of this frame, and how thin the
aluminum is. So it depends on the type of riding you're going to do.

I'd suggest you do more research and use google.com like I just did. You
want to match the type of riding you're going to do, against durability and
several other characteristics. Frame geometry is important too. Ya gotta
test ride the bikes, make sure you're fitted right. Pick either one they're
both good rides. The Cannondale comes in a large number of sizes. The Giant
typically has only 3 sizes.

-B

"jes.sandiegoca" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<m9_hd.38598$G15.5082@fed1read03>...
> Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800 and
> will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3. Any
> comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
> recommend? Thanks for any input.

What is the projected use? Racing, club rides, climbing, touring? How
much you want to spend?

- rick

"Rick Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jes.sandiegoca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Looking to buy a new road bike. Have test driven a Cannondale '04 800
>> and
>> will probably try a '05 700. On the Giant side I've tried a '05 TCR 3.
>> Any
>> comments on any of these three? Does anyone have any other bikes to
>> recommend? Thanks for any input.

> What is the projected use? Racing, club rides, climbing, touring? How
> much you want to spend?
>
> - rick

Good questions. I'm an avid hiker who gave away his Nishiki a good five/six
years ago. Used to bike alot in the late eighties/mid-nineties. Went on
two 50-mile plus fun bike rides recently using a hybrid mountain bike.
Remembered how much I enjoyed biking.

At the very least I could see myself riding 10 miles a week with the
occasional fun bike ride thrown in for good measure. I was looking in the
$1,000 to $2,000 range. I have enough to handle the $1,600 tag on the TCR,
but it might be better to stick with the $1,100/$1,200 price on the
Cannondale.

Chris

jes.sandiegoca wrote:

> At the very least I could see myself riding 10 miles a week with the
> occasional fun bike ride thrown in for good measure. I was looking
> in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. I have enough to handle the $1,600
> tag on the TCR, but it might be better to stick with the
> $1,100/$1,200 price on the Cannondale.

Was that a typo?? If not, you may be able to comfortably and quickly log
ten miles a week on something far less expensive.....

"neil0502" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jes.sandiegoca wrote:
>
>> At the very least I could see myself riding 10 miles a week with the
>> occasional fun bike ride thrown in for good measure. I was looking
>> in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. I have enough to handle the $1,600
>> tag on the TCR, but it might be better to stick with the
>> $1,100/$1,200 price on the Cannondale.

> Was that a typo?? If not, you may be able to comfortably and quickly log
> ten miles a week on something far less expensive.....

It wasn't a typo, but you know you're right, and that's why I'm glad I
posted here. I needed some sense slapped into me. My shopping around shall
continue. Thanks.

jes.sandiegoca wrote:
> "neil0502" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> jes.sandiegoca wrote:
>>
>>> At the very least I could see myself riding 10 miles a week with the
>>> occasional fun bike ride thrown in for good measure. I was looking
>>> in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. I have enough to handle the $1,600
>>> tag on the TCR, but it might be better to stick with the
>>> $1,100/$1,200 price on the Cannondale.

>> Was that a typo?? If not, you may be able to comfortably and
>> quickly log ten miles a week on something far less expensive.....
>>

> It wasn't a typo, but you know you're right, and that's why I'm glad I
> posted here. I needed some sense slapped into me. My shopping
> around shall continue. Thanks.

Cool. Just don't go so cheap that, when you fall in love with cycling all
over again, you're 'hardware inadequate.'

You're timing's excellent, btw. (I'm in San Diego, too). We just shopped
around for an mtb for my wife this week. LOTS of 2004 models--mountain AND
road--are deeply discounted.

There are also a /ton/ of used bikes on the market in pretty good shape.
Craigslist, eBay, SD Reader, etc., etc.

Best,

Neil