Cannondale or Klein (hardtail)?

scoutsbuddy

Jun 21, 2004
I'm in the market for a new hard-tail MTB, and I've narrowed it down to either a Klien Attitude or a Cannondale model with a lefty. I'm currently riding a Cannondale Delta V that I have had for about 6 years. I love it but want to upgrade to a model with disc brakes. I am mostly a road rider but I do frequent some rough trails every now and then and do put the bike through a fair amount of abuse. I would like something as light as I can get with easy access for a front suspension lock-out as my favorite form of riding are up steep hills. I'm looking to spend around $1500. Experiences, thoughts, ideas--are all much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

I think the deciding factor will end up being what front suspension you want to run.

For what it's worth, Cannondale's headshok lockout is amongst the best.. I've had both the twisty-stem-knob and ELO types on my hardtail and they are both excellent (with preference to the ELO for sheer convenience.)

however most Headshok units don't have the latest in stable-platform valving that the new high end 'normal' shocks have; that being said, with such a good lockout you can get away without having it to some extent.

I would love to try the Lefty ELO but it's a little too pricey. I'm still on the fence between the Cannondale F800 and the Klein, and in the end it will probably come down to whichever I can get the best price for. The lockout feature may not be as big of a factor as I had originally thought as long as it's no too soft.

I appreciate the response!

I have had a Klien Attitude Comp disk 2003 for about a year and I'm not impressed.

Everything is there but no thought has gone in to how to make it all work together. There seems to be some flaw in the frame design which put the chain too far out from the centre line. This meant the chain wouldn't stay on the two biggest cogs on the rear when it was on the middle front ring. The only way around this was to take a couple of mil off the bottom bracket on the chain side. More expense.

The thing often creaks when pedaling, to the point where I've thought the frame must be cracked somewhere. I can't find anything wrong, I just don't understand it. The shop I bought it from said it was cables (they run inside the top tube) and, for a not too small a charge, put a new one in for me. Made no difference.

The Hayes disk brakes are awful, well the front one is. I've never been able to get it to work properly and neither have the two bike shops I've given it to to look at. The one I bought it from and the one I went to when I gave up on them. At least they solved the gear thing rather than just saying it was inherent in the design and anyway, why would I want to use that gear combination? One of the front pistons was sticking and had to be replaced very soon after I bought it before I'd done anything challenging. It's still not right and even if it were, it appears that the whole caliper is slightly off centre. Sadly not the right way to compensate.

The tyres it comes with, Bontrager something or other, are terrible in all conditions I've tried them in.

I like the colour, though, but I would advise against buying a bike for this reason alone!

All in all you don't want to be spending lots of money rectifying problems that should never be there on a bike that costs this much. So my recommendation is stay well clear of Klein and be sure your dealer will give you proper support before you give them your money. I shan't be going back to Beyond Mountainbikes (in Cranleigh, Surrey UK) and I won't be buying Klein from anywhere again.

Good luck.

Whisper said:
I have had a Klien Attitude Comp disk 2003 for about a year and I'm not impressed.

Everything is there but no thought has gone in to how to make it all work together. There seems to be some flaw in the frame design which put the chain too far out from the centre line. This meant the chain wouldn't stay on the two biggest cogs on the rear when it was on the middle front ring. The only way around this was to take a couple of mil off the bottom bracket on the chain side. More expense.

The thing often creaks when pedaling, to the point where I've thought the frame must be cracked somewhere. I can't find anything wrong, I just don't understand it. The shop I bought it from said it was cables (they run inside the top tube) and, for a not too small a charge, put a new one in for me. Made no difference.

The Hayes disk brakes are awful, well the front one is. I've never been able to get it to work properly and neither have the two bike shops I've given it to to look at. The one I bought it from and the one I went to when I gave up on them. At least they solved the gear thing rather than just saying it was inherent in the design and anyway, why would I want to use that gear combination? One of the front pistons was sticking and had to be replaced very soon after I bought it before I'd done anything challenging. It's still not right and even if it were, it appears that the whole caliper is slightly off centre. Sadly not the right way to compensate.

The tyres it comes with, Bontrager something or other, are terrible in all conditions I've tried them in.

I like the colour, though, but I would advise against buying a bike for this reason alone!

All in all you don't want to be spending lots of money rectifying problems that should never be there on a bike that costs this much. So my recommendation is stay well clear of Klein and be sure your dealer will give you proper support before you give them your money. I shan't be going back to Beyond Mountainbikes (in Cranleigh, Surrey UK) and I won't be buying Klein from anywhere again.

Good luck.

Whisper,

Thanks for the reply but shortly after I posted the thread I purchased a 03 Attitude. Unfortunately for me your advice was spot on about the problems you encountered with your Klein. The issue with gears not staying, mine seems to stay okay but while charging up a hill the chain got lodged between the front outer ring and frame putting a nice gash on the frame. Not sure if this happened to you, but in looking at the design I do concur that the crank rings are out a bit far. I also hear that faint creaking noise when pedaling up hills and I too thought it was the cables--I didn't think of it being the ones that run inside the top frame, though (I'll have to have my shop check them out). As for the Hayes disc brakes, my front is fine but the rear tends to vibrate a bit more than they should--not sure if this is normal or if something may be a loose. So far so good with the Duke XC--I keep them pretty stiff at about 145psi and I weigh 150lbs. The tires and seat I immediately changed and I'll probably stop at the seat post. I'm always looking for relatively inexpensive ways to lighten it up.

I was fortunate to get a pretty good deal on the bike, and so far, the shop I purchased it from has been very accomodating and helpful. I've only had it less than a month and only really ridden, of any distance, the past 4 days. Overall, I like it because of the weight, ultra-quick response, and of course, the cool color. I'll let you know if they solve that creaking problem and if that heavy vibration when applying the rear brake, is normal. I sincerely appreciate your response. Now, if only I had known your problems before I made the purchase...