Cannondale or Specialized?

Having never rode either, but have read many reviews and read other opinions on other forums, most thought the Specialized with the Zertz actually work and made the ride much smoother then the Cannondale.

BUT, test ride each and select the one you like, not what others like; and don't just test ride them in the parking lot at the LBS, take them down the street for at least a 5 miles to get some sort of feel for them.

Test ride both bikes. Any bike shop should let you do that. See which one you can best emulate your riding position on.

Cannondale's I think you Campy, Specialized you Shimano so if you have a preference between the component makers that might help you make up your mind.

Me, I have a specialized and I love it, but in the end all of the big name manufacturers create quality products these days so I can't see you going wrong with either.

I must admit I'm a bit biased towards C'Dale, having owned a couple of CAAD's and a Six13 from the CT company.

Aside from this, I have only ridden a friend's aluminum Allez. The comparable CAAD is just more responsive, lighter feeling and I prefer the traditional frame geometry of the C'Dale over the sloping/compact designed Allez. Of course, since you are looking at the carbon versions from both companies, my observations may be mute.

Bottom line: Test ride both bikes and make a call yourself.

alienator said:
Have you ridden either bike?

I have not. I am looking for opinions on each bike from those who own them. I sat on the cannondale, and like the way it fit, but it has SRAM shifters which I am told take some getting used to if you come from Shimano. I did ride the Specialized around the parking lot quick, and it definetly feels more like a racing bike compared to the Cannondale.
I will be doing tris with this bike, but also centuries, so I am kind of torn between racing position and more touring position.
On another note, I just found a 09 Orbea Tri 4 with Ultegra for ?1800.00. This bike is peaking my intrest for my up coming tris and I will just have to deal with my 1/2 carbon, 1/2 Alum Masi for my training and cemtury rides?
Not sure what to do?
Still want to be loyal to my LBS which also sponsors my tri club,(both the Spec & Can) but 1800 is alot cheaper than any of their tri bikes.

Tech72 said:
I must admit I'm a bit biased towards C'Dale, having owned a couple of CAAD's and a Six13 from the CT company.

Aside from this, I have only ridden a friend's aluminum Allez. The comparable CAAD is just more responsive, lighter feeling and I prefer the traditional frame geometry of the C'Dale over the sloping/compact designed Allez. Of course, since you are looking at the carbon versions from both companies, my observations may be mute.

Bottom line: Test ride both bikes and make a call yourself.

I second this. The Caad9 5 I rode was very responsive, but I just couldn't commit on the super-racy riding posture. I plan on doing some long rides, and it would have just not been comfortable for me.

On the plus sides of the Caad, as I mentioned, it was very responsive, and very light; I've heard they weigh about 19 lbs. I just bought a full-carbon Schwinn which weighs in at 20 lbs. I loved the handling of the Caad, the light weight, and the componentry, but it fell short where I needed it.

I also rode the Specialized Allez and I felt it was a good bike, but not nearly as responsive as the Caad.

I did not like the extremely rough ride of the Caad. I was ready to grit my teeth every time I rode over a cigarette butt while on my test-ride. It was a shame that the Caad just didn't fit me comfortably or ride a little bit better, because I pretty much had my heart set on it. As it turns out, out of the many bicycles I test-rode, the Caad was one of my least favorites.

Now that you found you didn't like the Cannondale ride the Specialized and let us know what you think.

Froze said:
Now that you found you didn't like the Cannondale ride the Specialized and let us know what you think.

Rode the Specialized also, and it was much more relaxed. Unfortunately, I just wasn't comfortable on it. I felt the Specialized was the friendlier bicycle for a long ride.

GT Fanatic said:
Rode the Specialized also, and it was much more relaxed. Unfortunately, I just wasn't comfortable on it. I felt the Specialized was the friendlier bicycle for a long ride.

There you go, so now you need to ride more till you find the one you like the best. Why wasn't the Specialized comfortable? Maybe a fit issue? Or did the LBS fit you to it before you rode it? Some LBS's don't take the time to fit it properly...but I also know that Specialized has few size choices so maybe the size closest to your size just wasn't close enough.

Froze said:
There you go, so now you need to ride more till you find the one you like the best. Why wasn't the Specialized comfortable? Maybe a fit issue? Or did the LBS fit you to it before you rode it? Some LBS's don't take the time to fit it properly...but I also know that Specialized has few size choices so maybe the size closest to your size just wasn't close enough.

Like the C'Dale (besides it was really harsh), I just didn't fit. With the C'Dale, it was either a 54 or 56 frame. I probably needed a 55 LOL!

I just couldn't find a Specialized I felt comfortable on.

I did end up with a bike, though. I rode a large Schwinn Paramount Series 7 and pulled the trigger on it on Monday; great bike.

Rough ride means, for the most part, over-inflated tires. Cannondales lost their rep for rough rides long ago, while it's common for lower forms of life working at some bike shops to over-inflate tires, as well as to put customers on wrongly sized bikes.

alienator said:
Rough ride means, for the most part, over-inflated tires. Cannondales lost their rep for rough rides long ago, while it's common for lower forms of life working at some bike shops to over-inflate tires, as well as to put customers on wrongly sized bikes.

Well, the reputation didn't take the Caad9-5 into consideration, because I was ready to grit my teeth over every minor road perfection I came in contact with, and I prayed I didn't run over a cigarette butt.

Our local LBS here is on their game. The tires weren't overinflated. I'm sticking by my personal assessment of the ride quality. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

GT Fanatic said:
Well, the reputation didn't take the Caad9-5 into consideration, because I was ready to grit my teeth over every minor road perfection I came in contact with, and I prayed I didn't run over a cigarette butt.

The exaggeration really helps add credibility to your view. :rolleyes:

Our local LBS here is on their game. The tires weren't overinflated. I'm sticking by my personal assessment of the ride quality. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

So, you checked the tire pressure, then, eh? How do you know that your LBS is on their game? I could care less one way or another. I don't have a dog in this fight. Since, though, you've become defensive about your opinion and you've opened the door with what is likely conjecture instead of fact, more questions were warranted.

alienator said:
The exaggeration really helps add credibility to your view. :rolleyes:

So, you checked the tire pressure, then, eh? How do you know that your LBS is on their game? I could care less one way or another. I don't have a dog in this fight. Since, though, you've become defensive about your opinion and you've opened the door with what is likely conjecture instead of fact, more questions were warranted.

I haven't become defensive about anything. How are you going to tell me my opinion on a product is wrong? If you think my disagreeing with you is somehow a personal attack against you, grow a thicker skin. I disagree with you. Deal with it.

My opinion is that a Caad9 has a rough ride. Prove me wrong and "add credibility to your view," since you seem to think you know it all. It's no secret that aluminum bikes ride stiff. Some ride stiffer than others. Get over it.

Class dismissed. You have made it abundantly clear that you are not capable of holding any sort of intelligent conversation, or even adding any worth to a thread. Instead of providing information, you criticize everyone else who posts.

Now, off to find the "Ignore" feature...