Cannondale Quick 4 vs Trek 7.3 FX

Two sides of the same coin. One's an 8-speed triple, the other a 9. Other than that, which one can be adjusted to fit better? Which color combo do you prefer?

You'll wear the stock tires out soon enough, so ignore that. The saddle will probably get tossed for a better fit on either of them, if the bike is going to see serious miles. Test ride both and go with the one that feels better and hopefully that will also be the shop that impresses you most with their attitude, service and prices.

Thanks Campybob. I test rode a Trek 7.4x last night and was pretty happy with (except the seat which was pretty uncomfortable). I also rode on the Verve 3, which seemed nice, but was concerned that it was too cushy. The one thing I didn't like on the 7.4x was leaning over a bit when riding. The store manager said he could replace the stem with a different one which make me a bit more upright. What do you think?

Mitch11725 said:
Thanks Campybob. I test rode a Trek 7.4x last night and was pretty happy with (except the seat which was pretty uncomfortable). I also rode on the Verve 3, which seemed nice, but was concerned that it was too cushy. The one thing I didn't like on the 7.4x was leaning over a bit when riding. The store manager said he could replace the stem with a different one which make me a bit more upright. What do you think?
See if the LBS can make that switch so that it you can give it a test ride. It should only take them a few minutes to make such a switch, and they should certainly be motivated to do so if you're expressing interest in buying the bike.

"What do you think?"

What kind of condition are you in? What kind of condition do you want to be in? What type of riding are you going to be doing?

Most stock bike seats, even into the $2K range are not the best quality or do not match up to the buyers rear end well. Maybe you can get a deal on a second seat if you go for the Trek. Never hesitate to try another seat if the one you're on causes you discomfort over more than a couple weeks of riding...first make certain it isn't just unfamiliarity with being in the saddle/out of use condition.

The stem can alway be shortened, swapped for one with more rise or both. Doing so will get you in a more upright riding position. Ask the dealer to first re-check the frame size to check if it too long in the top tube for your torso/arm length. That said, in the future you may actually prefer leaning forward a bit to put more weight on your hands/arms and take some weight off of your rear.

All of the above, again, will depend on your goals and where you see yourself riding.

In a racing type seat you might try the Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel. It's one of more 'universally' liked saddles, but that is a narrow, flat style and there's no guaranty it will be a comfortable one for you.

Thanks Bob. Being a newbie, I am concerned about the crucial parts "going numb". A seat is an area where i dont want to skimp on. Im ok paying the extra money to protect myself.

They seem pretty similar for the most part. The front derailleur on the Trek 7.3 fx is a step up from the one on the Cannondale. I think the crank is slightly better on the Trek as well (but someone else needs to confirm that). The Cannondale seems to have some carbon in the forks. So the Cannondale probably has the better forks. As far as the frame goes, the Trek's dounble butted Al frame is solid. So is Cannondale's alloy frame. So they seem to be pretty equal overall in terms of components.

I just bought a Trek 7.3 fx. 2013 model. I LOVE it. I also own a full carbon Fuji road bike with Shimano 105 all around. The Trek performs as well as a hybrid bike should. It delivers very reliable shifting performance. The isozone grips are extremely comfortable. So test ride both and go for the one that you feel more comfortable riding!