Cannondale Quick CX - changing tires for thinner ones

jhans

Aug 15, 2013
Hi,

I have a Cannondale Quick CX bike with Kenda Happy Medium, 700x35c tires. I am using the bike mainly on road and I am thinking of chaning the tires for some more road-oriented ones to make it a bit faster, e.g. for Kenda Kwick Roller Sport 700x32c (these can be found on Cannondale Quick SL series).

Would this be recommended to do to increase the on-road speed? (I have very little exprience with bike adjustment, so I don't really know what is a good idea to do and what is not). Or would it be simply a waste of money (no noticeable difference)?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jhans .

Hi,

I have a Cannondale Quick CX bike with Kenda Happy Medium, 700x35c tires. I am using the bike mainly on road and I am thinking of chaning the tires for some more road-oriented ones to make it a bit faster, e.g. for Kenda Kwick Roller Sport 700x32c (these can be found on Cannondale Quick SL series).

Would this be recommended to do to increase the on-road speed? (I have very little exprience with bike adjustment, so I don't really know what is a good idea to do and what is not). Or would it be simply a waste of money (no noticeable difference)?

Thanks!
Yes, if you'll primarily ride your cross bike on the road then mount some road tires for more speed and more comfort. Realistically you can go a lot narrower than the 700x32c tires you're thinking about although those will be fine and likely very durable if you ride on bad roads or roads with a lot of debris.

FWIW, I often mount up my road wheels on my cyclocross bike when I'm doing a lot of commuting or foul weather road riding and yes it's faster and smoother with road tires. I've even mounted up my road racing wheels with 700x23c race tires and the bike is very fast with that setup even if the geometry is a bit relaxed for a race bike and the cantilever braking isn't as precise as a good set of road calipers.

But sure, no problems running road tires on a cross bike and realistically with those 700x32c road slicks hardpack dirt roads and some gravel here and there is no big deal but you could also go down to something like a 700x28c or 700x25c tire for a bit more road speed and still have a durable general purpose road setup.

-Dave

Reactions: jhans
You should be riding wider tires as they are safer and also you will get stronger to the point the wider tires make no detriment to your biking.

They also absorb the jolts and road imperfections better so its easier on your joints and whatnot.

ride at max 65 psi of pressure

Originally Posted by Hillrider .

You should be riding wider tires as they are safer and also you will get stronger to the point the wider tires make no detriment to your biking.

They also absorb the jolts and road imperfections better so its easier on your joints and whatnot.

ride at max 65 psi of pressure
Wow, that's some terrible advice. Are you AOG's doppelganger?

Big tires can be nice but riding them tons will still leave you slower than riding faster tires if speed is a goal. And 65 psi may be perfect and may be crazy low or crazy high depending on what tires you end up with, your weight and the surfaces you ride. I'd never run my 23c or 25c road tires as low as 65 and would never run my 32c cyclocross tires that high so as general advice it sucks. But sure, a high volume tire run at appropriately low pressure tends to be real comfortable.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Wow, that's some terrible advice. Are you AOG's doppelganger?

Big tires can be nice but riding them tons will still leave you slower than riding faster tires if speed is a goal. And 65 psi may be perfect and may be crazy low or crazy high depending on what tires you end up with, your weight and the surfaces you ride. I'd never run my 23c or 25c road tires as low as 65 and would never run my 32c cyclocross tires that high so as general advice it sucks. But sure, a high volume tire run at appropriately low pressure tends to be real comfortable
you just slayed the bull in the ring