Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7) question

Marcin

Guest
Hi,

I've purchesed a R1000 bike (60cm CAAD7 frame + ultegra). Bike looks realy sharp. But the thing that
worries me is frame durability. Candl. requires to check frame for any cracks, and says that the
life expectancy for this frame is 2 years (for competetive rider). All my previous bikes had steel
frames. I'm worried if I ever crash on it the frame is just going to brake. Even bike transportation
might be tricky. I ride 4k/year on average and looking for a bike that is going to last. Any
experiences/advices with CAAD7?

Regards Marcin

Any experiences/advices with CAAD7?

beer can frames have to considered as disposable.

On 11 Feb 2004 06:05:53 -0800, [email protected] (Marcin) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've purchesed a R1000 bike (60cm CAAD7 frame + ultegra). Bike looks realy sharp. But the thing
>that worries me is frame durability.

They don't offer the lifetime frame warranty anymore?

--
Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's

"Top Sirloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 11 Feb 2004 06:05:53 -0800, [email protected] (Marcin) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've purchesed a R1000 bike (60cm CAAD7 frame + ultegra). Bike looks realy sharp. But the thing
> >that worries me is frame durability.
>
> They don't offer the lifetime frame warranty anymore?

The warranty on the CAAD 7 appears to be lifetime--albeit, within the terms of the warranty. See:
http://www.cannondale.com/policies/bike_warr_policy.html

However, the CAAD7/Optimo supplement referred to by the poster would make me not buy a CAAD7. Then
again, I wouldn't but a frame made out of Ultra Foco either. It's always a balance between weight
and longevity when you are footing the bill for your own machine. The Cannondale supplement makes
this point very, very clearly. See: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/115936.pdf

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:52:36 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The warranty on the CAAD 7 appears to be lifetime--albeit, within the terms of the warranty. See:
>http://www.cannondale.com/policies/bike_warr_policy.html
>
>However, the CAAD7/Optimo supplement referred to by the poster would make me not buy a CAAD7. Then
>again, I wouldn't but a frame made out of Ultra Foco either. It's always a balance between weight
>and longevity when you are footing the bill for your own machine. The Cannondale supplement makes
>this point very, very clearly. See: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/115936.pdf

Wow. Makes me want to buy an OCLV just for the warranty, even if they are little fredly.

First we'll see how long I have to beat on my CAAD3 for it to fail. :)

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

My friend has a caad7 .. he weighs about 190 ..the bike is more than rugged enough for him. I have a
caad6 .. his bike is lighter weight.

charlie

thanks for the info. Chuck!

> My friend has a caad7 .. he weighs about 190 ..the bike is more than rugged enough for him. I have
> a caad6 .. his bike is lighter weight.
>
> charlie

> > beer can frames have to considered as disposable.
> >

> So do "plastic" frames (carbon fiber)

Many, if not most carbon frames are fairly easily repairable, and typically the cost of replacing a
tube in a carbon-fiber frame is similar to steel (which is not to say it's cheap, but still less
expensive than a new frame).

We don't yet know how light you can safely build a carbon-fiber frame, but that's not such a bad
thing. When I sell somebody a TREK OCLV, it comes without the dire warnings about lifespan that
apparently accompany other frames of similar weight but different material.