Cannondale R1000 vs. Cervelo Soloist?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by isdsms, Sep 21, 2003.

?

Which bike would be better for a roadie/triathlete?

1. Cervelo Soloist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cannondale R1000

69 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Trek 2200

47 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. mrwillows

mrwillows New Member

Great link ... Useful and unbiased reviews.

The Cervelo provides that classic steel ride and is certainly not seen as much.

Finally posting after "watching" for awhile.

MrWillows

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

Except that it is an aluminium frame with carbon forks...

3. mrwillows

mrwillows New Member

Patch -

You are right. I was thinking of another Cervelo that I test rode a little while back ... the SuperProdigy. It uses a custom thermacrom steel tubeset made by Columbus.

MrWillows

4. mcclaskey

mcclaskey New Member

hmmm...6 feet, 195...wouldn't be a little on the fat side, now would we?

5. gus351

gus351 New Member

i have owned a Soloist for 2 years now and can thoroughly reccomend it. i must admit it does have quite a hard ride, but it is stiff and is quick as well. So, i guess there will always be compromises, but for me i choose to go as fast as i can, even if that means being a bit sore after a long ride.

6. shokhead12

shokhead12 New Member

Cervelo,better warr. Better bike too.

7. su22

su22 New Member

Did you end up getting a bike? if so, please let us know what you got, why you got it, and how everything's going.

a bike shop owner blatantly said my Avanti Giro 2003 is heavy and crap. im pretty happy with it, cuz it's my first road bike (MTBs used for commuting don't count; neither do bikes with floral seats, streamers and training wheels) and cycling has become my best leg in triathlon. Just the triple chainring on my Giro is quite useless-- i never use the 1st or 3rd rings.

Ride: Cycling Review magazine (it's in Australia, dont know if it's sold worldwide) reviewed Cervelo Soloist. Good points:
    - aero frame. lotsa engineering has gone into it.
    - aero carbon seatpost makes for a smoother ride (used to be Al seatpost)
    - Velomax Circuit wheels are mid-range wheels, but are surprisingly good
    - internal brake cabling
    - convertible from from road to tri position (but others in this forum have debated the value of this)
    - comfortable seat

bad points
    - if you're gonna be aero and have your bidons hiding behind your body on the seat post, fitting the bidon holders to the aero seatpost is a little problematic
    - Cervelo brand brakes-- the brake pads are noisy. get your own.
    - reviews on previous models of all Cervelos report dodgy paint jobs-- paint chipping. not sure about 2004 model
    - wheels could be better-- Ride mag suggested Mavic Ksyriums

i might wait for 2005 model, just because i'd probably gain more from training cuz like lance says, "it's not about the bike". either that or you're a sour-grape with a heavy Avanti Giro.

8. isdsms

isdsms New Member

I actually just got a 2004 Cdale R2000 this spring. I got an amazing deal on it at $1900. So far my impression of the bike is that there's no better for the price. True, perhaps it isn't as compatible with Tri's as the Cervelo, however I probably a little bit more road-riding anyway. Aerobars will do for now. Maybe we'll see a tri-specific bike in the future?

isdsms

9. boyRacer

boyRacer New Member

there were 3 2003 Cannondale R1000s for $1099 at Supergo Huntington Beach last week... pretty good buy... all Ultegra except for calipers and bottom bracket.

10. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

Let keep this a little more civil please.

Don (an old fat bald Poser)

11. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

Cervelo Soloist is an excellent tri or TT bike. A friend uses one and we're both same height and weight. I didn't felt it rides harshly vis-a-vis my regular ride (a Giant TCR). But for all intents & purposes, I cannot say how it compares w/ the Canondale since I haven't ridden one.

12. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It musta got left out in the rain and shrunk?

13. fushman

fushman New Member

lol damn you said it first thats a tiny bike

14. cdawggy14

cdawggy14 New Member

Now that is not very nice - I'm 5'9" and weigh 195 and want a new bike to help me get in shape - picking on people for something like that is not very nice to do

15. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Definitely the Cervelo is better than the Cannondale -- simply because of the aerodynamics. Since both are aluminum I think both bikes should ride the same. I have 2 AL bikes -- a 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team & a 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 -- both would be good for triathlons also. I don't feel any difference in the ride of both my bikes, and a ride of 52 miles doesn't make my body sore (either bike). I wrote a review of both my bikes at Roadbikereview.com (under JTE83)

I have also crashed in both of my bikes and the forks never broke. I crashed into a car at 18 mph on my Giant and into a curb at 20.9 mph on my Cervelo. I even use the recalled Cervelo fork -- it survived a 20.9 mph crash into a curb during a criterium race.

You might also want to look into a 2003 Giant TCR Aero 2 or 2004 Giant TCR Aero 1. The 2004 version is uglier than the 2003 version. Getting a 2003 version might save you a lot of money.

Custom building a Cervelo Soloist is the way to go. My bike shown below cost me $3033 -- got the frame and crank from ebay, and other parts from sales. The bike weighs 17 lbs...

During my race I noticed that i was one of only 3 people who had a Cervelo -- so you certainly will stand out among other bikes. And people may notice your bike.

For me, my Cervelo is a dream to ride. Since I have never rode a carbon fiber bike -- I do not not know how such a bike would "absorb vibrations."
    Riding the Cervelo over really rough rocky cement will feel rough, and smooth roads will feel smooth.

I have had no paint problems with my Cervelo.

16. cdawggy14

cdawggy14 New Member

:)
    Totally agree with the Cervelo Soloist call - I've been looking for a bike for a long time to start road riding and getting into Triathlon and have read great stuff regarding the Soloist.

I actually went out and purchased the Soloist 105 yesterday (will upgrade parts as I get more involved in the sport and become aware of my wants/needs).

I'm moving to Bermuda on Saturday for a few years and hope to get alot of use out of the bike there and will be able to update over time how it performs.

Cheers,

Cdawggy14

17. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

FYI, Supergo have Talons on sale for $2045.00, I saw a few there today...

18. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

Cannondale works for me...........awesome bike, and being a bigger lad, stiffness doesn't bother me. Though you are right saying they are a dime a dozen......next i want something different...

19. zerokoo0l

zerokoo0l New Member

Don't most Cat 1 Legends geet bikes from a sponsor or team sponsor?

20. bobbyl1966

bobbyl1966 New Member

Hello how are you. I try make century and setup my bike for that. What size crank i need. For now i have 53/39 and 52/42 or i can replace the 42 with 40. Wich crank is go be better for that ride. i try do the century the faster i can. Cassete on the bike i have 12-25 9 speeds is be okay or general what crank size and cassete size i need for fast rides. that is my bike what you think of that bike is okay? Is cannondale R300 aluminum frame and fork[​IMG]